• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finding the right Disc for her...

jdggna

Double Eagle Member
So I'm going to make an effort to get my GF into disc golf. She's gone with me once or twice in the past and I've just given her a couple discs that I've found on the course. I really think she would take more of a liking to it if she had her own discs, so I'm thinking about getting her a fairway driver and mid/putter.

For a driver, I'm thinking a light XS. I would go slower but she is actually fairly strong, and if she gets her form down at all she should be able to handle it.

As for the mid/putter, I'm kind of stumped. I was thinking an Aero, but I'm not really sure. I was debating between that and a slow, understable midrange instead.

I dunno...any thoughts?:confused:

My fiancee's first disc is a Star Sidewinder and she seems alright with it.

I would second that a DX Stingray would be a good choice.

Maybe a Elite-X Comet. Their easy to control as well.

Check out what Latitude 64 has to say about the Vision. They market it as the disc for the Swedish Blonde. Even if your GF is not Swedish or Blonde I think it is an easy to control disc. I would also recommend the Discraft Elite X Stratus.

http://www.latitude64.se/system/visa.asp?HID=716&FID=606&HSID=12193&ActMenu=12239

Haha...I saw that today. Made me laugh. It is actually what got me thinking about getting her her own discs!

Stratus...didn't think of that one. I'm also thinking about backing down from the XS. I want to make sure she enjoys it right away instead of having to get better first.

I taught my GF last summer and after a lot of trial and error she carries a 150 and 171 Champ Sidewinder, a 150 Beast, and a 165 TeeRex. She doesn't really like any of the Rocs I've had her try, so we still haven't found her a good midrang.
As for a putter, she was using a Supersoft XX Putt'r, but I recently got her a soft Wizard and she loves it!

OK. My wife really throws a145 DX Archangel well, but if there is a wind it affects the light Archangel. In a wind she prefers the Polaris LS at 170. She has tried Challenger, Crossfire, Magnet, and VooDoo for putters, and she would truly kill me if I took away her Soft VooDoo 172.

Good luck. It makes it easier on trips to go play if she wants to play also.

love my stratus, but not exactly a disc that i would say is something to use every toss...maybe something like the impact?

Just make sure it's some bright, girly color for two reasons:

1) She'll probably like the color and therefore have a more positive attitude about the disc and probably play better.

2) When she inevitably throws it into the woods, it'll be easier to find :)

1) She'll probably like the color and therefore have a more positive attitude about the disc and probably play better.

Not to sound like a smart ass, but this is an excellent point. My GF loves butterflies, so I found her a 150 Sidewinder on Ebay with a pretty sweet Butterfly dye...needless to say she loves it and immediately demanded another couple of discs so she wouldn't have to take any risky shots with her "Butterfly disc."

Ah yes...all mine are bright orange anymore. Only other color I really consider is pink! I wasn't sure if she'd be upset with getting her pink ones or not...who knows, men will never understand the other sex :rolleyes:

I wanted to keep it to two discs, since I figure she won't want to carry around a bunch of them. I'm thinking a 150 Sidewinder and a mid that could be used as a putter. I'm kind of bouncing between a comet and spider at the moment...leaning towards spider.

I've gotten my girlfriend playing in the past six months, and my best recommendation -- as someone who has watched her and a lot of other women get started -- is to get her a 150g DX Leopard (actually, get two or three, since she will likely lose them in water hazards if there are any). It's one of the easiest discs to control and has minimal fade.

A great second disc would be a midrange of some kind in the mid 160s. Let her grip your mids and see what feels best, then try her own. Used is better than new. My girlfriends favorite mid and most predictable disc is a 168g DX Roc from a 1999 tourney, nicely seasoned. She also has a mid-160s Comet and a couple of 150g Z-Storms that all work well for her.

For a putter, let her try several of yours to see what feels best. My girlfriends' favorite is a SS Wizard... great feel. Get a putter in the 165-172g range would be my advice.

Let her learn three discs -- 150g DX Leopard, whichever mid she likes, and then a putter (JK Aviars also work well, as do soft magnets -- women seem to really like the gummier texture)... those three discs will do everything she needs for at least the first six months of play.

Not to sound like a smart ass, but this is an excellent point. My GF loves butterflies, so I found her a 150 Sidewinder on Ebay with a pretty sweet Butterfly dye...needless to say she loves it and immediately demanded another couple of discs so she wouldn't have to take any risky shots with her "Butterfly disc."

Haha yep, I got mine a bright pink 150 Sidewinder and a clear purple R-pro Hydra. Not because they may or may not be the best discs for her, but because when I gave them to her she said "AWW they're so cute!!!" (a cute disc?) and now she loves them and likes playing that much more. Now if she wants to get more serious into the sport, I'd be glad to hook her up with some better plastic because I figure that by that point, she'll be over the fact that she has a pink and purple disc and be more into playing.

Mine throws mostly her dx 150 valk, champ roadrunner, dx shark (in the low 160s), and a putter (she's still trying different ones out of my bag/boxes).

For driver try the JLS (or a TL @150) and I agree with your initial assessment the Aero. I know three women beginners who love the Aero.

My sister likes to play with a Shark and a valkyrie. My cousin did a valkyrie and aviar. But my friend loves her JLS and Aero, and she plays the most. Do the Aero in star plastic, the Champ Aero doesn't seem to land as flat.