• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First form check!

Need a break and probably wise to take it to the course next. This fella is on my mind. I'm not sure I'll ever get this high on my toes but posturally it seems like where this may be taking me, and in the ballpark of SW's last images of his own form.

1715085173947.png

Last edited:
Looks like you are trying to get your left foot xstep around in front your right foot and it gets in the way of your right foot stride. Try doing a little zig zag x-step so your left steps more to the right/east and your whole CoM moves a little same way, and then right steps a little left/west. Your right leg needs to push you slightly deeper east going into the x-step.

You know this but for my & lurker benefit:

It's bizarre to me how sometimes I "see" something in advanced form after we get my body to do a version of it. I think I "understand" "throwing with my center" much better than before. And I also understand why other people have trouble seeing it.

GG is doing a dramatic and awesome version of SW's suggestion.

It was important for me to pay more attention to what happens to his center as soon as each foot starts making ground contact. My first step is becoming more similar to GG's going more East, which like him, is helping my body get closed off and set up torque in transition BEFORE hitting the ground again in the "prep step" (step before X-step). We also both hop/rise in the prep step to set up the "effortless" gravity part of the move.

Then in the "prep step" he ends up tossing his CoG back East a bit (well, actually it's quite a lot in different camera angle), which is also setting up counter torque in the whole move in that direction, which is also what is helping him load up that ridiculous backswing maneuver when his rear foot plants the X-step. That's part of why he gets soooo much space before he whips back through and out from his center - throwing the body back East. Conveniently since it also helps get me more confidence in the rear leg with its weird issue I'm relieved to run with it lmao.

I think I learned a little bit exploring with more hip hinge last week, but it's clearly time to move back in line with my anatomy again.

After rest days I'll try to do this move as tall and long as possible and get my legs more relaxed in transition and see what we get. It's going to be easier on my plant knee if I can get more Inside/less quaddy and just whip the entire move through more like GG's "zig zag," I think.

1715113778033.png
I do think there is probably a way to talk about this without the imaginary pink orb, but for me it helps me consolidate yet another thing. Plus, people end up getting their bodies and centers trapped so often that I don't think it's just about cute pink orbs floating in space.

Attachments

• 1715113638278.png
    1715113638278.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I think these are all things you have cued recently so starting to tie them together:

Mostly a rest day so I tried just a few at half speed trying to get the front leg to swing in underneath me unimpeded and "stick the landing" better so I can take some pressure off my my plant knee as the next priority before I throw a round.

It does seem to the the case that a bit more pronation in the pump jives well with the prep step sending my body East and it adds more torque overall. I also am able to take it a little more vertical which allows better access for the plant leg to swing forward. Then I can just supinate into the backswing and it's already starting to work together smoothly.

I still see evidence of my gait issue in these but I think if I keep fishing around in it and try to stay as tall as possible while launching my CoG into the X hop I might also be able to keep improving the backswing and landing to swing more inside posture. These feel "good swingy" to me overall...

1. Step 1st right foot further west/left out in front of your body/head.

2. When you pump, your arm and CoM are both going upward together on right leg and downward together on left leg, so you have a lot of vertical movement on the disc. I pump earlier and start dropping my arm earlier when my CoM starts rising on right leg, so they are countering and keeping my disc flatter vertically in the backswing. I think this is also why your backswing always looks rushed. Pump your arm/disc away from your rear foot as far as possible and then start backswing as you start rising on right foot.
Screen Shot 2024-05-08 at 12.01.10 AM.png

1. Step 1st right foot further west/left out in front of your body/head.

2. When you pump, your arm and CoM are both going upward together on right leg and downward together on left leg, so you have a lot of vertical movement on the disc. I pump earlier and start dropping my arm earlier when my CoM starts rising on right leg, so they are countering and keeping my disc flatter vertically in the backswing. I think this is also why your backswing always looks rushed. Pump your arm/disc away from your rear foot as far as possible and then start backswing as you start rising on right foot.
View attachment 339491

Got it & love it again. Right now I'm getting a lot of sneaky momentum in the landing even when I'm going slow, so I'm extra motivated to keep at this to get pressure off the plant knee. Throwing at like 60% & this is strangely relaxing lol.

1. This is a little harder than the 2nd but attempted. Probably going to need a few days. I know I keep mentioning it, but I think the gait issue always tends to make my right leg compensate a bit for the left leg so part of the knee always going slightly West in the prep step and plant is related to that. But I can nudge it closer to what you said I think and it might continue to improve.

2. We've been here before but this time my brain now "feels" my CoG more while my feet are moving so it's a little easier to tweak again. I ignored most of the pump other than the sequence to see what we'd get. On the best ones I definitely feel like I have more control over the backswing tempo and I think we see it's creating more space and swing length again.

I'm still not landing great every time and I can feel the old bad tip interfering, but it's better when the backswing gels and the shift gets more compact.

Good news is pressure on the plant knee decreased again immediately, already getting a bit more out of the "CoG whip" again overall.

Edit: btw this is exciting - this is probably the "best" my release point has ever looked:

1715175461005.png

Last edited: