• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form check to push past 500'

potato

Hi!
I'm a long time lurker but posting for the first time. Looking to improve my BH. Currently I'm throwing consistently 68 mph which is good for about 450'-480'. My goal is to be able to throw that speed with less effort, and to push over 70 mph / 500' on max d throws. It's almost funny how many things I've tried and changed within the past 1.5 years but the result is always roughly the same.

In the video, I'm throwing pretty much max effort and on purpose quite high (hit the net at about 40' high, 340' away)

All help appreciated!

You're throwing on a mostly vertical axis rather than shifting like a linebacker or skiier into the plant despite an otherwise nice-looking set of action.

Fundamental balance would need to change from all vertical to also include pendulum. It will feel completely different and you would probably expect to get worse before it gets better:

Ride the Bull, Capoeria hammer swing here.

First move here

All of these pros recruit some of this action to account for part of the curvy paths in their form you see here to one degree or another. If you watch any of them in real time, notice out their rear leg is counterbalancing in behind them, whereas yours is mostly spinning out. That's the "lateral" part of the move in the "pendulum" balance Pratt goes through in the first vid above:
1710459362293.png

E.g., compare your trailing leg to Eagle's as you enter the release and go into follow through:

If you master it you'll likely throw with less effort due to working more in harmony with gravity - some of the bombers that fix it add significant distance, too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! I have experimented with some of those movements earlier, but once I try to incorporate them into a throw, the movement just disappears. I have quite bad and asymmetric hip mobility, and the body probably tries to save itself from hurting when moving faster... Now that I have confirmation that it's the right path I'll try to be a bit more persistent with it. (And keep doing mobility exercises.)

Thanks for the reply! I have experimented with some of those movements earlier, but once I try to incorporate them into a throw, the movement just disappears. I have quite bad and asymmetric hip mobility, and the body probably tries to save itself from hurting when moving faster... Now that I have confirmation that it's the right path I'll try to be a bit more persistent with it. (And keep doing mobility exercises.)
I have definitely needed to spend a lot of time "off camera" working on mobility, and if you want to go after the efficiency theory of the moves I shared, most people do struggle with fundamentally "letting go" and letting gravity do a lot more work in their throws. Slow and steady.

Might recommend you also show you trying the Hershyzer drill here because it might save you a lot of time and pain.

Latest posts