• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First form check!

Still working with the baby 4th step. It continues to help me on the rear side so I'd like to continue with it.

Here I was trying to fuss a little with how closed off I was going into the 2nd step. Also just trying to get a little more natural "pep in my step" in general.

I guess I liked the third or last one the best balance-wise, input welcome/appreciated.

Last edited:
Not a critique, merely an observation:

Looks like you're bending over a good bit out of the backswing/in to the plant - almost like you're squatting into the rear leg/sending the ass back somewhat. But it's hard to say because your rear knee doesn't seem to flex much. Again, just an observation because I find it interesting as someone struggling with rear leg balance and rising into the plant. If you could expound on how you're dropping into the plant so evidently it could be helpful.

Kudos to your continued determination.

That last throw is the most graceful I've seen from you til this date.

I can't tell if it's "better" mechanical wise, but it seems like your whole body reacts better to it.

Looks natural and powerful!

Good stuff man

Not a critique, merely an observation:

Looks like you're bending over a good bit out of the backswing/in to the plant - almost like you're squatting into the rear leg/sending the ass back somewhat. But it's hard to say because your rear knee doesn't seem to flex much. Again, just an observation because I find it interesting as someone struggling with rear leg balance and rising into the plant. If you could expound on how you're dropping into the plant so evidently it could be helpful.

Kudos to your continued determination.
Thanks man, it's nice when hard work finally feels like it's paying off.

And good eye. My rear leg is apparently just abnormal enough from the old injury that I'm never actually stable on it, so I think I'm always going to be compensating a bit on the rear side. Recently I've been mostly doing what I can to neutralize that instability by getting over it with momentum and getting a "good enough" backswing to power and aim the shots. So you're maybe seeing the effect of trying to coil back with side bend over a leg and hip that have trouble fully supporting the Buttwipe action sidewinder teaches. GG has a bit more postural lean than most players and he and Espen hop very tall, so I've been trying to onboard cues from them to keep the momentum going forward, and try to plant as centered as I can. The fourth little step definitely helps my rear leg but it's always a bit unsteady. I'll keep seeing what I can manage back there. Fortunately I'm not doing much thinking anymore and mostly just tweaking one bit of the move at a time at this point.

The stride and drop into the plant:

1.Hershyzer drills. Fix posture, stride/drift/drop like an athletic walk into plant. Door frame drill after that.

2. Double Dragon. Should be in the drill Hall of Fame. Long stride coiling back and forth. Gets you very comfortable with tilt and gravity.

With 2 years of hindsight, I now understand that Hershyzer was always harder for me on the left leg because of my gait issue. I always have trouble with lower strides because the leverage is never stable into the rear hip. Double Dragon or Espen hop or GG maneuver are working better because I can at least "fake it til I make it" on the vertical kind of move, since it maximizes drift and my rear leg can do it well enough to transition to the plant. I'm missing part of the hip action but it matters a bit less when I'm starting tall then getting lower leading with the shoulder like a linebacker.

Make it as close to an athletic run or walk or hop as you can striding off in good enough posture to get the job done.

That last throw is the most graceful I've seen from you til this date.

I can't tell if it's "better" mechanical wise, but it seems like your whole body reacts better to it.

Looks natural and powerful!

Good stuff man
Thanks man, the ones closest to that last one felt awesome and natural. I'm starting to like this move. Just need to keep focusing on balance and moving free.

I will never not see some mechanical issues while learning in the School of Sidewinder, but for now it just feels good to be moving freely and more confidently.

Seems like votes so far are for throw 4 above, so I'll poke around this move and rehearse that. Posting it here for convenience and calling it my Good Swing for now.

Yeah so I don't know if everyone's move works this way, but this is definitely a "real" thing in my stroke already:
I think once you start getting closer to "flat" release with your gg move you'll find your speed will go up a little and the pendulum pump is going to help maintain tempo but the swing will feel dampened a little, which is probably much safer than just digging in and elbow locking.

aVYYLkS.png

You can actually "see" this happening now.

First of all in real time this "snap factor" is clearly improved:
vcJgp4R.gif

Look for the "push the quarter on the tabletop"/drop the hammer:
rXdnSNN.gif

Mega slow & isolated. Lower arm looks like it explodes out at the last possible moment on its own:
86oPY2X.gif

Does it work in the real world?
Played a round this AM. My discs are definitely flying differently and I'm getting a bigger "hit" at the very end of the move for sure. I was turning everything earlier out of my stock hyzer. I was reaching 330' targets with my fairway hyzerflips at about 60% power. My flippiest distance driver needs a lot more hyzer and a lot more finesse. I think there's 5-10% more power available just from the last couple tweaks. I found that if I made sure I was in decent balance on first two steps & focused on the apex I could commit the juice better where I wanted it. When I stopped to notice it, the follow through came forward a little more than it tends to inside.

I also have found that the direction of the pump matters less than I think it does. I can either go full knuckles up and emphasize the vertical, or I can pump a little more like Sidewinder and as long as I am in a decent posture in the backswing they both work. I'm not sure one is "better" than the other for me right now, just matters how I balance and commit.

Very cool. Staying the course for now I guess.

Edit: was working on my "low man leverage" again a bit, seemed to help some parts.

Last edited:
Try max supination at top of backswing more like PP/Eliezra, so that you are not supinating into power pocket.

Try max supination at top of backswing more like PP/Eliezra, so that you are not supinating into power pocket.
My man. Seems like I can almost do it.

Cool advantages right away:

1. There's a little more nasty leverage/torque in there somewhere. Veeeery interesting. Whip crack effect has more to gain.
2. Rear leg is W-E unstable as always, but I get off it quicker.
3. Ground force reaction was automatically sharper when I plant.
4. Rhythm feels more like Eveliina/feels kind of natural to me in the "ride the bull" phase.

Balance is a little weird but is already adapting.

Here are three. Need to keep focusing on the supinating into backswing peak. What do you think, allow extreme hyzer at first and gradually try to make the hyzer plane more shallow again?

Funny how it feels like I'm supinating extremely but it doesn't look that way on camera.

Could nudge the head a bit but hard to adjust both at once. So...

I'll keep practicing the supination and see if I can get the head more stacked up in standstills, then these. Thanks man, happy hunting this weekend.

Edit: tried a few tall standstills just focused on the backswing supination, then returned to X-step and immediately started to get more in touch with my balance. Standstills are made of magical pixie dust. Getting after it this week.

Edit2: Salonen's Supinate-to-Pronate move is sick too:
P9lo4eo.gif

Edit3: This one was still a bit off but I got a good snap effect here:

Last edited:
I am going to work on bringing the shots into less hyzer angle and focus on getting everything more balanced and centered/longer move for a bit.

Keep your upper arm wider and more connected to body in backswing, so your chest/shoulders move everything more together. Your arm is swinging back behind your chest/shoulders.

Thanks man, back to DFD this week.

First two I attempted with no other changes, trended better.

Next two I experimented with pronating my pump maximally thru the hit to see if it would help the arm torque overall, looks like that slightly overcooked it so I'll just focus on what you said!

Last edited:
Too much slack in backswing, you keep turning back after you plant heel. Your heel should be pulling your hip into the plant.

Too much slack in backswing, you keep turning back after you plant heel. Your heel should be pulling your hip into the plant.
Thanks man - yeah :-( The rear hip still always has that slippy leverage in the W-E direction (the gait issue) so it's like there's always something lacking to anchor the backswing. The taller transition and momentum from step 1 is helping a bit, but the weird leverage leak is always there.

Maybe if I can't rely on the leverage into the rear hip well, try to focus on getting off the rear foot laterally into the plant as quickly as possible getting as taut as possible?*

Edit: yeah the way the lower bones in the left leg healed is at a diagonal out toward the left knee. So it makes sense that the knee always tends to deflect East a bit and that hip is slipping slightly out of leverage East in the backswing. It's friggin' weird, man.

*Edit2: maybe I can try (1) switch to either a smaller pump or "leave behind/walk past the disc" so I am relying on the time on the rear leg even less and (2) try to get off the rear leg in a quick gallop pulled taut more like Gossage, but still use a tall and narrow X step. Gallop past the frame and let the momentum pull me taut, try to get heel to pull hip, and rip it right off.

Last edited:
Thanks man - yeah :-( The rear hip still always has that slippy leverage in the W-E direction (the gait issue) so it's like there's always something lacking to anchor the backswing. The taller transition and momentum from step 1 is helping a bit, but the weird leverage leak is always there.

*Edit2: maybe I can try (2) try to get off the rear leg in a quick gallop pulled taut more like Gossage, but still use a tall and narrow X step. Gallop past the frame and let the momentum pull me taut, try to get heel to pull hip, and rip it right off.

I think we're looking for the best "compensatory" X-step for me at this point given the problem with my rear leg my friend. I'm pretty open-minded to what that ends up being at this point.

Please let me know what you think since I can't really get a full Figure 8/buttwipe from the rear side. It seems like I can still focus on:
(1) minimizing slack
(2) maximizing angle/trajectory control
(3) getting my momentum into the shot
(4) using aggressive posture/ram swing/door frame drill to commit power from my big body mass is a key for power
(5) maximize ground force reaction transfer in the plant

I tried to start focusing on what you said. I get quite closed off like maximum Open-To-Closed drill in the second step - other moves just are never as stable, and the slower they are on the rear side the worse it gets. I can still generate a "longer" swing by being turned further back in transition/with "Gurthie lean."

BTW, it "feels" like my backswing and upper arm is now wider/more connected again, but because of the leaky West-East thing going on in the rear leg and hip, the backswing still tends to trail behind me/East.

Question incoming:

You're "rising" throughout your brace (from when your heel touch the ground to release) quite a lot. I know I've seen SW write about finishing posted up on the front hip (balanced), but yours looks funky.. When looking a Simon and GG, they might rise a tad, but it's minimal from the slowmo's I just watched.

Care to fill me in here buddy? Am I off?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240429-192845.png
    Screenshot_20240429-192845.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240429-192903.png
    Screenshot_20240429-192903.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Question incoming:

You're "rising" throughout your brace (from when your heel touch the ground to release) quite a lot. I know I've seen SW write about finishing posted up on the front hip (balanced), but yours looks funky.. When looking a Simon and GG, they might rise a tad, but it's minimal from the slowmo's I just watched.

Care to fill me in here buddy? Am I off?

No, your observation is good as usual.

You do see a bit of variability out there, but in general the posture is compressed like you say in the plant and into the release. Some players rise again into follow through.

Interestingly I can control the landing and stay more "compressed" through the release if I want to like the below. But usually not perfectly and I tend to "decompress" or rise into the follow through. I just can't ever get it or anything else to work with "ideal" rear leg action, which I'll have to live with.

What do we think, go with this one and prioritized "low man wins leverage" overall if a rear leg is a bit busted? Gimping my way into a One Leg Drill landing kind of works lmao

Last edited:
Looking at "your good swing video", it may just be because of the angle of the video, but it looks like your front leg lands less bend and you have an easier time to withstand the (m)ass, get a solid brace with a just beautiful balanced ending posting up on the front hip (can't remember the exact term).

The mechanics may not be completely polished or 100% correct in the "good swing" video, but it's most likely the best footwork I've seen from you in this thread. Nimble and graceful.

Next part is hard for me to explain. Engrish you know

You've done the math on a more vertical drop into brace, with forces etc. Have you ever thought about landing more "stiff" (less bended, as in your good swing video)on the front leg. I would imagine that you would have to use MUCH more energy, when you bend your knee that much and insist on "rising" through the shot.

Just a thought

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240429-210755.png
    Screenshot_20240429-210755.png
    867.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240429-210736.png
    Screenshot_20240429-210736.png
    824.2 KB · Views: 0