First form review

Note how your pelvis is tilted over and spine is extended so you are pulling with a different posture falling over top. Your left shoulder/elbow is over-rotated ahead of your right hip so your hips are not leading enough laterally. I think you can step your rear foot closer to target and let your frontside get pulled further back and up.

Note how my front hip is being pulled up as I drop the rear hip down underneath me and shift/leverage the pelvis forward so it's pulling the frontside back taut and spine hangs relaxed/flexed/bowed from door frame.
door frame 1 shift vs am vert copy 2.png

Thats a nice catch and when you put it like that it is obvious to see so thank you for that.

So I kept on practicing the drill trying to get it to look just like your move and never getting it quite right. I think it got a little closer to you, especially letting my spine hang feels a little alien to me and I also gotta remind myself to not let my head hang down.

At 40 seconds my hip movement looks closer to yours for me, I bent my rear hip down a bit at this point.

When letting the spine hang I also felt the oblique sling across my right shoulder to my left hip as it got pulled taut so thats something to keep working on.

What does this look like to you? What are the next steps?

Yes, right around 40s looked the best, then went downhill after you adjusted your front foot. If you moved your camera 90 degree inline to trajectory probably see your rear foot is staggered too much away from your head/wall/front foot. You should really only have like 1-2 inches of stagger in this drill, so feet are almost inline with each other. Your head shouldn't move/lean over toes toward the wall, it needs to stay balanced upright inside your posture/feet like SC demos turning in vid below.

Let your rear arm/elbow hang down behind your hip/butt so there is some left side bend dropping down into transition. The rightside should get pulled/stretched upward more.

Yeah you are right on with the stagger. I decreased it already but it is definitely more than a couple of inches.

With your hints it feels more and more like a stretch and when I focus on the stretching sensation my shoulders get pulled more toward the doorframe and my hip goes further towards the target.

In this I dropped my left hip down by moving my left knee towards the target, is that the right way? Just bending my left knee to drop it down felt weird.

Watching the video again I notice how my left arm is a little stiff, im gonna work on letting it hang a bit looser.

Is this looking better for you?

Yes, leverage/move the rear knee targetward and the hip will drop, don't try to bend the rear knee in this drill.
Looking better in general although it looks like in spots that you are forcing your spine to flex some/tightening abs instead of it happening from relaxing deeper into the drill.
Yes rear arm is hugging yourself and getting in the way, instead of moving behind you toward back pocket out of the way.
You can play around with your feet distance from frame some while holding on and trying to get more leverage.
Screen Shot 2024-01-08 at 2.17.54 AM.png

Yeah I kinda need to force myself to bend my upper spine as the move feels unnatural to me. It becomes a bit easier when I squeeze my shoulders together for a bit. I think that is also why my left arm is so far toward the door frame as I make a conscious effort to bend my upper spine.

Thank you for taking the time to look over this, I appreciate it

Yeah I kinda need to force myself to bend my upper spine as the move feels unnatural to me. It becomes a bit easier when I squeeze my shoulders together for a bit. I think that is also why my left arm is so far toward the door frame as I make a conscious effort to bend my upper spine.

Thank you for taking the time to look over this, I appreciate it
Do not try to squeeze your shoulders together. They should be doing opposite motions to each other, left retraction, right protraction and vice versa like swimming or walking.

Hey sw, I think im good for another round of feedback.

I focused on your points about me looking really tight and also this one by Brychanus who pointed it out as well

Also notice that he looks more relaxed as he lets the frame pull him back while the body/weight is shifting forward with gravity toward the plant leg. In the long run, you ideally want everything to be as low effort as possible before adding any effort/bigger shift/more momentum.

I also stumbled upon this on the search for some mobility exercises and it helped me understand how relaxing my shoulders and back helps with getting pulled taut

This one is my trying out a couple of different positions. Moving further away it feels like I will just rotate my shoulders more/lean further back to be able to still reach the door frame. Moving closer nets a bit more leverage on my arm and it also starts getting exhausting really fast. However if I move too close my butt is going over my plant foot.

I would say that this one felt the best

What do you think?

Last edited:
Relaxed was better. You are too static, need to bounce around more feel your body weight tugging against the arm/frame unit.

In first one you let go the frame when you adjusted your stance - do not let go of frame while adjusting stance, keep tension while moving stance.

This post helped me a while ago while struggling through door frame drills:

This post helped me a while ago while struggling through door frame drills:

Thanks, it also helps seeing how someone else goes through iterations to the drill and gets closer and closer to doing it well.

I finally got a version of the drill that looks good enough to me to post it once again. I have gone through some more rounds but noticed mistakes you already pointed out so I figured I might as well not post them. In this one I got the bounce you pointed out sidewinder and also in the thread Brychanus posted as well as alternating positions while trying to hold on and keep tension.

Unbenannt.png

Here it felt like the most leverage and the strongest feel of being pulled taut in my back and inner side of the left leg to me. The area I marked red is the area I can put my rear foot and feel like I get good leverage against the frame. Going further right I lose the leverage completely and going further left just results in slack but still some leverage.

Have also worked on integrating the dfd into my throw and it works best when doing the drill once, then immediately doing 2-3 standstills just keeping the feeling of the inner side of the rear leg and my back being pulled taut in mind and trying to mimic the position. Cant do this for long though as it has become a stretch with how much force is exerted on the shoulder in the drill. The cue of chin on shoulder also works well in that regard as it seems to get my shoulders and therefor my whole body a bit lower. I will spare you the videos though for now and see what other things you notice in my dfd.

The motion/bounciness is better. Rear leg and side trending better overall.

Grab the frame a little lower so that you have a bit more side bend. As low as belly button if needed.

Otherwise the rear leg looks in the ballpark if you are getting leverage off the instep of that leg.

The front foot is too close to the rear foot. Notice that your front hip is way ahead of your front knee. The front hip should be just inside the front knee, which should be just inside the front ankle. That way if you release/drop off the frame, your plant leg will more automatically do what it's supposed to do without damaging itself.

The shoulder will get more relaxed when you fix this. I do recall that my rear leg would eventually get tired from lots of reps from maintaining leverage against the ground. But the arm should end up feeling stretched but effortless when you drop off the frame.

Grabbed it at different heights, trying to get lower and finding an optimal height that still felt comfortable. I put the front foot further out and also adjusted the way my knee is going a bit. Now my foot and hip is a little further in ER and my knee is going forward instead of a little to the left.

Would you have weight on your arm during the drill? With the plant leg adjusted a bit there is a bit less pull going on in the shoulder but I still get tired fast from it.

On height: going lower and lower and at some point it felt like I was doing that really low door frame position eagle does even though on video im still mostly upright. Is a lower position something that I can ease into or is it more about finding a slot that works for now and just run with it?

1710881688584.png
For now this is about the lower position that is still comfortable for me. I gotta practice this with the plant leg out more as it still feels awkward to me.

I'm not understanding weight on the arm? Weight is vertical force. There should be horizontal tug on it - pulling arm taut. You should be relaxing deeper into, feel like you could hang there a long time without effort. Do not pull with the arm, if you do you should get pulled back to the door frame.

You need to move your rear foot back and forth while holding on. Exaggerate it so far that the door frame pulls you backwards, then readjust and find more relaxed leverage.

I'm not understanding weight on the arm? Weight is vertical force. There should be horizontal tug on it - pulling arm taut. You should be relaxing deeper into, feel like you could hang there a long time without effort. Do not pull with the arm, if you do you should get pulled back to the door frame.

You need to move your rear foot back and forth while holding on. Exaggerate it so far that the door frame pulls you backwards, then readjust and find more relaxed leverage.
Yeah, horizontal tug is what im talking about.

Ok I guess I know what you are getting at. I was still too far away from the doorframe and thus it still pulled me to it and caused some tug on my arm and shoulder. Is this what you had in mind?

Still gotta work on the height and side-bend and find a good position on that one.

I put a bunch of more work into the drill. It feels a lot more comfortable now. I got rid of the strain on my shoulder I talked about by using a frame I could hold onto more easily and also not pulling as hard on my arm.

Some things I couldnt really resolve myself:
1) am I getting pulled too far back to the doorframe/is my hip leading my body too much?
2) is my knee leading my hip looking ok to you? I guess I would have the option to either push my knee out a little more north/position my plant foot a little further north/not leading with my hip that much. Widening my stance by positioning my plant food further north feels a little too wide as a stance tho.

As always I appreciate your comments and am curious what else you can see here.

The motion/bounciness is better. Rear leg and side trending better overall.

Grab the frame a little lower so that you have a bit more side bend. As low as belly button if needed.

Otherwise the rear leg looks in the ballpark if you are getting leverage off the instep of that leg.

The front foot is too close to the rear foot. Notice that your front hip is way ahead of your front knee. The front hip should be just inside the front knee, which should be just inside the front ankle. That way if you release/drop off the frame, your plant leg will more automatically do what it's supposed to do without damaging itself.

I incorporated some more sidebend here. The tell I focused on was the position of my throwing shoulder relative to the other one. Doing the drill this way felt awkward for now but maybe that gets better as I do it some more this way. Does this look in the ballpark of what you had in mind with the side bend?

The front hip, inside front knee, inside front foot is trending better I think. Ground pressure also changed with that - before I had more pressure on the left side of my right foot, now the pressure is a bit more centered.

Walk your rear foot closer to target.

Here I walked the rear foot towards the target/north.

As I walk the rear foot toward the target some more tension builds in my drive leg, however at some point the tension gets too high and I become stiff. I guess I had some slack in the drill before and walking the rear foot north gives me some more tension for the throw. I also have some inflexibility in my legs that I am working on, for example I cant sit on the floor with an upright upper body. I also feel that inflexibility in the drill.

I did this drill last week as well before a field work session and after incorporating more tension into it with your cue I probably had my furthest throw so far as I parked a 100 meter hole with a putter which was one of my goals this year. So thanks for that, I was pretty happy.