• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First sanctioned event--scoring

I think you are spending a lot of energy to simply make a TD's life more difficult. The only way I see for you to submit your erasable scorecard, is to take a pic and send it to the TD. He then has to manually add your scores, verify that they match the rest of your card. You have made room for potential error, where there was none in the use of PDGA Live. The results of your division are delayed, everyone waits longer for payouts, more room for error. You are not availed of the hole by hole OB, Mando's and hazards. Why would you make this your plan? It is really not easier, quicker and has significant downsides for you, the TD and other players.

I think you could FORCE the TD to allow it. I guess that is a win?
Ah. What I missed in the new rule is that all of the scorecards must be turned in. I was not aware of that. I had assumed that the rule was - all players must keep track of score, and then upon completion of the mandated reconciliation process a scorecard must be turned in. I did not realize ALL scorecards had to be turned in.

Okay, welp... guess the TD has to keep some paper for me.

He then has to manually add your scores, verify that they match the rest of your card. You have made room for potential error, where there was none in the use of PDGA Live. The results of your division are delayed, everyone waits longer for payouts, more room for error. You are not availed of the hole by hole OB, Mando's and hazards. Why would you make this your plan? It is really not easier, quicker and has significant downsides for you, the TD and other players.
Aside the notion of the particulars of how I turn it in, this does not appear to be true:

1712248685535.png

This is from the PDGA explanation of the new scorekeeping rules, it seems to indicate that unless someone brings a discrepancy to the TD's attention the TD does not need to spend any time at all on my paper scorecard besides acknowledging that I handed it in.

Not the unfair practice of some players ALWAYS refusing to keep any score. Not the available Mando, OB and hazard information on each hole.

One of my favorites was a guy, who always refused to keep score, refuting his score at the end of the round. Keeping score in his head he was POSITIVE he had score one stroke less. He wanted the card to sit down and go hole by hole, comparing his head scores to the documented scores. [humorous anecdote, not evidence of anything]

Personally I would much rather have two people that want to and are will to keep score rather than having to dragging people kick and scream into doing it. Even if that means I still keep score 90% of the time. It not a big deal to me to keep score.

When people would complain about two correct score card I would laugh in their face and tell them they should have kept score then. Easier for me than you since you're in club leadership.

And I think it is totally reasonable to have the entire card keep score for NT / A -tiers. C-tiers I don't see the point.

Personally I would much rather have two people that want to and are will to keep score rather than having to dragging people kick and scream into doing it. Even if that means I still keep score 90% of the time. It not a big deal to me to keep score.

When people would complain about two correct score card I would laugh in their face and tell them they should have kept score then. Easier for me than you since you're in club leadership.

And I think it is totally reasonable to have the entire card keep score for NT / A -tiers. C-tiers I don't see the point.
I am kind of surprised by the opposition to this pretty simple rule.

When not one of the couple people, on a card, keeping score [seemingly a very rare occasion] I have ALWAYS kept my own score at all tournaments. It just always seemed like a solid plan. Honestly, this weekend, outside of kids wanting to walk and score [I am old....I am gonna keep my eyes on where I am going, lol] and score on the greens, it worked out great. No issues, no complaints. I was playing down in MA3 for points, so most of them are indeed kids. We'll see how the old crumudgeons in MA50 and MA60 see it.

One thing that would have really have helped us (old guys) would be a "test mode" where a new player could practice entering scores the first time around. We were all "what do I push now?" and "I can't see the arrow" for the first few holes until we got the hang of it. One of our players somehow kept closing the app and had to re-enter the code every hole.

In hindsight it's pretty funny, but at the time felt a little bit terrifying.

One thing that would have really have helped us (old guys) would be a "test mode" where a new player could practice entering scores the first time around. We were all "what do I push now?" and "I can't see the arrow" for the first few holes until we got the hang of it. One of our players somehow kept closing the app and had to re-enter the code every hole.

In hindsight it's pretty funny, but at the time felt a little bit terrifying.

Yeah, tech hates me, and until I see it work on Saturday, I have a hard time believing it will work. But it will, probably, +/- actually.

I support not making things miserable for TD's though. I'll do it however they ask us to, expecting that it will be PDGA live.

Yeah, tech hates me, and until I see it work on Saturday, I have a hard time believing it will work. But it will, probably, +/- actually.

I support not making things miserable for TD's though. I'll do it however they ask us to, expecting that it will be PDGA live.

If five old clowns can pull it off, you can too! Hope you kick ass!

To riff off the old charity appeals, "the ass I kick might well be my own."

Oof..."display or use" of alcohol is grounds for disqualification, and there's a flippin' dress code. Wednesday night random doubles this ain't...

Oof..."display or use" of alcohol is grounds for disqualification, and there's a flippin' dress code. Wednesday night random doubles this ain't...
  1. The PDGA recommends that the dress code in 4.04 be enforced at A-Tier and lower Tier events, but that decision lies solely with the Tournament Director.
You made me look up the ETOH rule. I thought it was not allowed at B-Tiers and higher, but it was changed to C-Tier and higher.

1. The PDGA recommends that the dress code in 4.04 be enforced at A-Tier and lower Tier events, but that decision lies solely with the Tournament Director.
You made me look up the ETOH rule. I thought it was not allowed at B-Tiers and higher, but it was changed to C-Tier and higher.

I swear that at the first tournament I enter that requires the dress code, I'm going to show up in a button down shirt tucked into a speedo.

The first tournament was great. I came in dead last in FA4, so I probably picked the right division. The women on my card were amazing. I told them up front that it was first time, and I'd probably need a bit of guidance, which they provided graciously and without making me feel like a complete dumbass. The good vibes were all around in an inclusive way that I don't really get from playing in my Wednesday night doubles, which is all guys.

The PDGA app worked well, although as a quasi-senior, it's a bit of a pain to be reaching for cheaters on every tee to do the scoring.

I liked the course--technical and short. You had to thread multiple skinny gaps on most holes, and I did not, so I spent a lot of time in jail and scrambling for bogies. The reviews for it here are dated and inaccurate, so I'll get on that as soon as my old bones have recovered.

Best of all, my back, which kept me from playing for a week beforehand was mostly fine, to the extent that ibuprofen held, and I've already signed up for another C-tier next week on a more open course that I know rather well.

So when do my scores and ratings start showing up on my profile? My first round wasn't horrible, but the second one was 666--cue creepy music--the round from HELL!!

So when do my scores and ratings start showing up on my profile? My first round wasn't horrible, but the second one was 666--cue creepy music--the round from HELL!!

Do you mean your PDGA profile?

I got some advice about playing my first tournaments at 62 that I'll pass along. The first one is about learning how things work, what the expectations are, and just overcoming the jitters of competition. The second one is about figuring out how to adjust to playing in a tournament rather than a league or casual. The third one is about identifying areas where your tournament performance is uncharacteristically weak or strong. So, two thirds of the way through the process I think it's working well for me.

The first tournament was great. I came in dead last in FA4, so I probably picked the right division. The women on my card were amazing. I told them up front that it was first time, and I'd probably need a bit of guidance, which they provided graciously and without making me feel like a complete dumbass. The good vibes were all around in an inclusive way that I don't really get from playing in my Wednesday night doubles, which is all guys.

The PDGA app worked well, although as a quasi-senior, it's a bit of a pain to be reaching for cheaters on every tee to do the scoring.

I liked the course--technical and short. You had to thread multiple skinny gaps on most holes, and I did not, so I spent a lot of time in jail and scrambling for bogies. The reviews for it here are dated and inaccurate, so I'll get on that as soon as my old bones have recovered.

Best of all, my back, which kept me from playing for a week beforehand was mostly fine, to the extent that ibuprofen held, and I've already signed up for another C-tier next week on a more open course that I know rather well.

Round ratings that show immediately after the event are temporary and may change slightly. Second Tuesday of each month they get finalized and so that is when you should get your first player rating (as opposed to round rating). As long as the TD went ahead and got the TD report in immediately you should get a rating tomorrow. Glad you enjoyed the tournament.

I swear that at the first tournament I enter that requires the dress code, I'm going to show up in a button down shirt tucked into a speedo.
I haven't had any dress code being enforced in any tournaments I have played in ... way back to the 1980's and 90's, of course those weren't PDGA sanctioned. Still, the tournaments I have played the last 2-3 years aren't enforcing any dress code. IMO, it is good for the sport, especially A-Tiers for the players to display a "positive" image. I do think a dress code is a positive thing for the sport, but C-Tiers and most B-Tiers there is not a lot of reason to enforce a dress code. About the dress code... it is mostly saying to wear a shirt, that is not a "tank top", a shirt with a collar is "preferred"; a polo shirt is very acceptable and can be comfortable.
If the sport is to gain more respect it has to display "positive" images ... drinking beer, smoking pot during play - tournament or casual - does not display a positive image of the sport. More acceptance in communities the more there will be new and better courses available. I have played since 1977, the last 5 years (Covid) has really increased the popularity of the sport. I see it as a love/hate situation, I hate that course are more crowded but I love it that more respect has come to the Pros and to the sport overall.
My .02 cents :)

I haven't had any dress code being enforced in any tournaments I have played in ... way back to the 1980's and 90's, of course those weren't PDGA sanctioned. Still, the tournaments I have played the last 2-3 years aren't enforcing any dress code. IMO, it is good for the sport, especially A-Tiers for the players to display a "positive" image. I do think a dress code is a positive thing for the sport, but C-Tiers and most B-Tiers there is not a lot of reason to enforce a dress code. About the dress code... it is mostly saying to wear a shirt, that is not a "tank top", a shirt with a collar is "preferred"; a polo shirt is very acceptable and can be comfortable.
If the sport is to gain more respect it has to display "positive" images ... drinking beer, smoking pot during play - tournament or casual - does not display a positive image of the sport. More acceptance in communities the more there will be new and better courses available. I have played since 1977, the last 5 years (Covid) has really increased the popularity of the sport. I see it as a love/hate situation, I hate that course are more crowded but I love it that more respect has come to the Pros and to the sport overall.
My .02 cents :)
geebob's point was that his outfit would meet the dress code.

geebob's point was that his outfit would meet the dress code.

Thanks Steve. I should clarify, though. The dress code in 3.04 is fine except for the last line:
The PDGA recommends that the dress code in 4.04 be enforced at A-Tier and lower Tier events, but that decision lies solely with the Tournament Director.

The dress code in 4.04 (Majors and Elite Series) is both ridiculous and poorly written. Hence, my "button down shirt tucked into a speedo" example.

Thanks Steve. I should clarify, though. The dress code in 3.04 is fine except for the last line:
The PDGA recommends that the dress code in 4.04 be enforced at A-Tier and lower Tier events, but that decision lies solely with the Tournament Director.

The dress code in 4.04 (Majors and Elite Series) is both ridiculous and poorly written. Hence, my "button down shirt tucked into a speedo" example.
I thought the Speedo was a dig at the sentence: "No ripped shirts, shorts, or pants are allowed on the course." Which could be read as disallowing any shorts or pants.