• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Flat putter for turnover forehand approach shots

Thanks for all the replies, peeps. After a little research on flight numbers I think I'll go feel up a Proxy. Not a fan of soft plastic, but do like some grip. Thoughts on neutron vs plasma plastic?

My Proxy is Neutron. I putt with it when I take an "all-MVP/Axiom" bag to the course every so often. It's good stuff.

Thanks for all the replies, peeps. After a little research on flight numbers I think I'll go feel up a Proxy. Not a fan of soft plastic, but do like some grip. Thoughts on neutron vs plasma plastic?

Plasma bit flexy - I say Neutron for a fairly firm Star-ish plastic or Proton for a harder/candy plastic, tho the flex on Proton still exists....I think Firmest is proton but close to regular neutron.

Avoid Plasma unless you want it to be FLIPPY and Soft Neutron, because its soft. ;)

Would you believe I went by PIAS and what did I find? A neutron Proxy and a Shaman in the used bin. Both slightly beat but a fairly cheap way to test them. As a bonus, they were numbers 9 and 10 on my card so I picked up a new max weight star Wraith for free. :)

Thanks for all the great info.

Be prepared to fall madly in love with the proxy.

True but not at all US for a flat turnover type shot unless very beat. I even have had electron atoms which are well seasoned which I wouldn't call "turnover" FH putters. Only true flippy putter MVP makes off the shelf is a spin.

I love all the MVP putters so wtf do i know!

Yeah the Shaman will work better for a turnover type shot FH.

Proxy is great for the annie type FH deal.

Proxy is a better overall disc in my opinion though.

I would say a Putt'r X the one in Elite X plastic that is soft. This disc for most does not work for putting so you will most likely never ever even attempt it for that. The disc gets a low spot in the middle once it brakes in and then you have to throw the disc more then a standard putter to get good glide on the disc. Yes the disc is more neutral on the Flight chart from Discaft but it does go understable just a bit.

I like a discmania d line p3 for this. Takes a bit of seasoning, maybe a solid month, but seems to fill that slot when I need it. Though I favor just flicking a beat Roc or mcpro Roc3 since it just feels more controllable to me FWIW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Colt for turnover FH approaches. Colt is more neutral than understable but holds an anny beautifully. Colt is also my putting putter so I carry two.

I use a beat in envy for this shot. Though try my darnedest to make the harp hold the line sometimes

True but not at all US for a flat turnover type shot unless very beat. I even have had electron atoms which are well seasoned which I wouldn't call "turnover" FH putters. Only true flippy putter MVP makes off the shelf is a spin.

I love all the MVP putters so wtf do i know!

haha I don't want to argue but the Proxy's I have ARE understable. They turn, and the plasma Proxy which is 175g and fairly new is UNDERSTABLE AS F haha so I know you were adamant on saying Proxy isn't US, I'll admit my FRESH max weight Neutron Proxy is nice and stable, but the plasma sure isn't - its all gonna depend, I love the proxy and hope to find one that's really stable but it surely doesn't need to be beat to have a healthy turn

I use a Polecat, and it meets your criteria of "flat." But I realize the rim isn't favored by lots of people for forehand throws. You could give a Summit a try, or maybe even a Pure. Go feel 'em up. As far as flight for those shots, the Polecat was exactly what I was looking for and I believe superior.

Did a little field throwing this evening and tossed both the Proxy and Shaman. Initial impression is the Shaman works a little better for what I have in mind. I've always had trouble flicking deep rim putters and the shallow rim on the Shaman feels good both BH and FH. Proxy is a bit more putterish and has better glide when I gave it proper form. Both had turn, Shaman slightly more than the Proxy and they are both moderately beat. Flicking either of them into a 12 mph headwind didn't produce positive results.

Gonna keep messing with both of them.

Latest posts