• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Flat Thin Driving Putters - Trying to Mostly Eliminate Midranges

samhammy

Pretty new member here - been browsing a bunch, but first time posting

I've become completely obsessed with disc golf in the last 6 months - have played close to 300 rounds and the addiction just doesn't seem to let up!

My game has definitely gone through a bunch of changes - more recently as my form and arm speed have improved I've started to gravitate towards throwing with more low speed discs over midranges and then jumping straight to 7 speed and up discs when needed - seems like I can push these lower speed discs to about where my midranges were going.

Been experimenting with a lot of different putters recently in an attempt to eliminate most to the midranges from my bag except my buzz.

I really prefer to power grip my putters and for me the thin flat top profile is best (almost like a small diameter buzz).

Ones I've tried so far (straight to slightly stable flight):

Envy - Fits all of the criteria but something just doesn't completely feel right in my hand maybe because of the overmold?

Westside Maiden - Been absolutely my favorite so far - I think this is really an underrated mold.

Ones I've tried so far (Overstable Flight):

Harp - Have one in BT Soft which has a serious puddle top, really like this as a disc that dumps hard and stays put, wish i could get a bit more glide out of it.

Zone - Recently bought one is ESP and new it's very beefy, seems like it will have more straight flight to it once it beats in, surprised it has been glidier.

Ones I intend on trying:

Ringer GT - Hard to find, but found found a jawbreaker that I ordered. Hoping that this will be a bit of a toned down zone with a little more straight flight and glide.

Rhyno - Not sure it's quite as low profile as some of the others here which is holding me back from trying it. Intrigued by a disc like this that you can really rip into and have it resist turn.

Pig - Also difficult to find, wondering how people have liked them with some power on a backhand.

Pilot - Heard a lot of good things on this one. Can't decide what plastic would be best.

Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated!

Cheers and thanks to all for creating such an awesome community!

Mint discs Profit is essentially a single mold variant of the Envy.

I love the Pilot. Cosmic Neutron is more overstable. It's a little deeper than an Envy though, but flat top and very glidey with dependable fade.

A DX Rhyno is straight stable. Goes only as far as you power it (no glide). Low profile. I haven't thrown the premium plastics, they might have 3 fade, but a DX won't. You say the Harp has no glide? I would disagree, but you won't like a Rhyno, so cross it off.

You might like an Innova Stud, or a Discmania Sensei for slight stable, or Innova Colt for straight. Those have shallow rims.

Mint discs Profit is essentially a single mold variant of the Envy.

I love the Pilot. Cosmic Neutron is more overstable. It's a little deeper than an Envy though, but flat top and very glidey with dependable fade.

I putt with the Profit and throw the Pilot in Cosmic Neutron.... that putter just goes and goes and goes...

The Mint Bullet is a great throwing putter also... I'm hoping they put it out in a premium plastic sometime this year.

A DX Rhyno is straight stable. Goes only as far as you power it (no glide). Low profile. I haven't thrown the premium plastics, they might have 3 fade, but a DX won't. You say the Harp has no glide? I would disagree, but you won't like a Rhyno, so cross it off.

You might like an Innova Stud, or a Discmania Sensei for slight stable, or Innova Colt for straight. Those have shallow rims.

My only experience with the harp has been with my super puddle top one I got when I first started in BT Soft plastic. I'm sure harps in VIP or harder BT plastics probably have some more glide to them. Have you had experience with any of the other plastics either having more glide or being more or less stable than BT Soft?

Gateway low profile putter are hard to beat.
From least to most stable; Gateway Shaman, Gateway Chief, Gateway Chief OS, Gateway Devil hawk, Storm discs Crater.

My only experience with the harp has been with my super puddle top one I got when I first started in BT Soft plastic. I'm sure harps in VIP or harder BT plastics probably have some more glide to them. Have you had experience with any of the other plastics either having more glide or being more or less stable than BT Soft?

I have a VIP and a BT Soft. BT Soft is in the bag. It's my only mid. Both plastics glide the same for me. Soft just feels better.

The Discraft Sol is an absolute hybrid Putter/Mid. What a cool disc. Tossed it around today. Handles speed well, great for turnover lines. Glides forever.

I have never thrown a disc quite like this. I will be using it as my understable mid, understable approach disc.

Wait. Will you elaborate more on why you're eliminating mids? I know you said that you're using speed 7+ drivers but mids generally have a solid place in a bag.

Wouldn't say I'm eliminating them, but cutting back. Would like to keep my buzz in my bag and work that on hyzer, anhyzer and flip up to straight lines. But i'd rather power up a 3-4 speed approach disc or go light on a 7 speed and cut out a lot of the middle stuff.

Have found that I can shape my shots better and more consistently with putters/approach discs than mids without really sacrificing much distance.

I bag a puddle topped BT soft Harp. When I want a little more distance and a similar flight I throw a VIP harp.

C-Line Infinite Tomb is my goto for a glidey, turn-resistant, low-profile putter. I throw a Maiden off the tee as well as putt with it. The Tomb feels similar but doesn't really turn and has some fade even on a full power throw.

The innova rat is thin and flat and feels great in the hand. Reminds me of a small diameter Mako3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one last comment

go with mvp and axiom putters youll connect with some of their molds and they will go as far as mids

Latest posts