• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flight numbers don't matter article

Yes they do, I also sharpie flight numbers in my rim based on infinite discs numbers if I feel like their different I change the numbers to how it Flys for me. Makes it easier picking a disc for me sometimes. But, that's probally a newbie move

I dont write them down but i totally think about my discs in innova flight ratings. As they beat it changes and it adjusts in my head a bit.

Well, yeah. As your form improves the discs will fly a bit differently. Also, as you settle on your favorites, you'll remember how they fly, and know each disc by how it feels in your hand.

The discs will also "season." And you'll have trouble replacing the flight pattern with an off the shelf replacement. Then you'll start writing down the PLH, run number, and other such esoteric stuff ... ;)

PLH?

Why do people need to write flight ratings on discs?! That's something ill never understand.[/QUO

Personally a lot of my discs are new to me and I cant remember their flight ratings off the top of my head, especially if they are misprints, and a majority of companies dont put their flight ratings on the disc in the first place. Also helps me sort m bag from putter to driver and with most overstable to most understable in each category. I dont do the make the bag go in order by color thing. But really, I almost always play the Opto saint, Buzzz OS and mix my putters (cant find one I love) sometimes throw in the flick. I also write on the front (Utility, Flick, Tomahawk etc...) for easy find if I use them for a certain reason.

Why do people need to write flight ratings on discs?! That's something ill never understand.

I think it is kinda a comfort thing, as well as maybe experience. If it's what you've known on most discs for the entirety of play it is nice to go back to.
I know I don't remember the flight numbers on any of my discs but know how they fly mostly. But I've not thrown that many so when I see someone throw a disc I want to know the numbers and compare to what I have and see how it relates to a disc I own. I could throw it but I really like to throw a whole round with a single disc to say I have any kind of knowledge how it flies. If the numbers are off it might be nice to put them on... I don't do it but could understand.

Late to the game on talk about flight charts. But Joes has been closest to correct on a lot of the discs I throw and it is an app on my phone not just a webpage that is hard to read even on a full screen. Has helped me pick out replacement discs from the store from other brands when the disc I was looking for wasn't in stock.

If I knew about Joe's flight chart app, it would saved me so much money and not get discs that are so similar. Who wants to buy my 40 discs I don't use!

Take some time with your discs and go to a field and throw them. Learn how they fly for you. Flight numbers can be useful when starting out and getting a baseline for arm speed and what each type of disc does for you, but after that you'll need first hand flight time that you can go off of. My 13 year old always went off numbers until he got some older valkyries and beasts that were PFN. We went to a field and I told him to learn each disc, learn what it does and how it flies each way you throw your discs. After about an hours worth of time throwing he shot his best round after that, and was saying how much easier disc selection was for each line he wanted to hit. I think flight numbers are a thing that has to be taken with a grain of salt. They're "starter" numbers but you won't really know how that disc flies for you until you throw it.

flight numbers are a potentially helpful guide, but by no means an absolute indicator of what to expect from the disc

much in the same way that "the map is not the territory" and the "menu is not the meal"

Take some time with your discs and go to a field and throw them. Learn how they fly for you. Flight numbers can be useful when starting out and getting a baseline for arm speed and what each type of disc does for you, but after that you'll need first hand flight time that you can go off of. My 13 year old always went off numbers until he got some older valkyries and beasts that were PFN. We went to a field and I told him to learn each disc, learn what it does and how it flies each way you throw your discs. After about an hours worth of time throwing he shot his best round after that, and was saying how much easier disc selection was for each line he wanted to hit. I think flight numbers are a thing that has to be taken with a grain of salt. They're "starter" numbers but you won't really know how that disc flies for you until you throw it.

Personally, I've never bought a disc based on flight numbers. I do throw a lot of Discraft, so maybe that's part of the reason... I find reading on DGCR or even infinite discs more helpful. I agree with M996. If a beginner can get his/her hands on some discs and go toss them, the numbers start to matter less. After all, aren't there a number of discs whose numbers seem great but which seem like duds to most players?

well there you go, some of you players are finally getting it, just like player ratings those flight numbers are not absolutes. they are guidelines for disc selection comparison to other discs with comparable flight numbers.... they serve a purpose with shades of grey.

Last edited:
I think this sentence here shows what the article is really about:

So, because rating systems are clearly "worthless" you should buy your discs from us because we have a better way. It's an advertisement, not a logical assessment of flight ratings.

I didn't read down far enough to catch that this was from Someone at DD. So it's just an ad at the end. The recent season of South Park joked at the fact that you can longer tell the difference between news and an ad, and darn it, they're right.

Flight numbers are a quick way to get an idea what the disc does. They tell me that a mamba is gonna flip over for me, and a boss will fade hard. And they tell me that both of those are probably too fast for me. They won't tell if a river, patriot, leopard, or avenger SS are best for me, but they tell me these are probably where I need to look based off of how I play. There are not absolutely everything, but they are very useful.

Eyeball test.

I have never looked at flight numbers to determine anything about a disc. I have always tested them to see what happens. I have tested nealy hundred molds and found a few basic shapes work well for me. So at this point in my disc golf life I have found I can feel the rim and know how the disc will likely perform. I suspect many of you have found this to be true as well.

I have a number of people I play with that rely on flight numbers to guide them. It works for them but I still rely on the eyeball test. Also, I keep in mind form has a great deal to do with how a disc flies.

I attached a pic in case you need proof of the disc I have tested. And yes my wife still laughs when I come home with more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 51
It's funny that everyone keeps on talking about how DD did this just for advertising or how their system is better.
But if you ever listened to the podcast or read the first paragraph of the article you would realize they did this because they constantly get asked questions about the numbers.
So hopefully this stops the recurring questions that have been answered many many times.

Latest posts