• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

flurry of Pendleton King Park reviews

scarpfish

Resident Grouch
Gold level trusted reviewer
Can anyone tell me what's going on here? I'd like to know what constitutes a 20+ year old course, that apparently had some revisions four years ago, to suddenly get like seven reviews in the last week. Six people obviously trying to puff up their home course with high reviews, and one who decided it was his duty to post a low review to zero the others out.

I don't think the folks in either camp here seem to realize that what they're doing is detrimental the whole idea of reviewing courses. Rate the course what it is please. Stop trying to game the system, or counteract those who are.

It's been amusing to me. They're almost all first reviews. They mostly show 1-4 courses played (which may or may not be accurate).

It's as if a group of buddies, relatively new players, just discovered this site.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here? I'd like to know what constitutes a 20+ year old course, that apparently had some revisions four years ago, to suddenly get like seven reviews in the last week. Six people obviously trying to puff up their home course with high reviews, and one who decided it was his duty to post a low review to zero the others out.

I don't think the folks in either camp here seem to realize that what they're doing is detrimental the whole idea of reviewing courses. Rate the course what it is please. Stop trying to game the system, or counteract those who are.

I've been noticing that as well and marking their reviews as not helpful ... if they really felt like it was a 5 disc course, fine, but at least write a good review to support your rating.

I've never played PK, but from what I've heard it's in the 1.5-2.5 range (with more experienced and skilled players rating it on the lower side).

I wouldn't say ridesbrd's review is trying to adjust for the higher rated reviews, but it actually is the true rating of the course ... and if you who ridesbrd is, then you know that he has access to very high quality courses on a daily basis and those courses would make PK look like a 1.5 disc rating.

... and of course as I've never played it, all of my thoughts/opinions on this matter must be taken with a rather humongous grain of salt.

It's as if a group of buddies, relatively new players, just discovered this site.

Couldn't this be reality? I know when my buddies and I took up dg almost 4 years ago, we all reviewed the new courses that we played. And since we were all about the same skill level, (newbs) we thought the same way a lot of the time...... Just a thought.....

I removed most of the ones from people that registered recently. Seemed weird.

It's been amusing to me. They're almost all first reviews. They mostly show 1-4 courses played (which may or may not be accurate).

A couple of Augusta buddies that are in Athens now, said something about players trying to fluff the rating up a bit to recognize the "work" that park management is putting into it ... although why park management would want to see inflated ratings is beyond me.

Couldn't this be reality? I know when my buddies and I took up dg almost 4 years ago, we all reviewed the new courses that we played. And since we were all about the same skill level, (newbs) we thought the same way a lot of the time...... Just a thought.....

Definitely could be. But just a guess on my part. I remember feeling this way, too, and if I'd found this site, I would have told my other just-started buddies about it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DiscGolfAugusta/permalink/714105368600336/

"Greetings PK lovers. Fast Eddie has been working like a dog to improve PK and it's looking fantastic. He's too busy slaving on tee pads today but wanted me to post this. Two Things: 1.) If you are at pk playing a round or bored pull any "hazard" wood or limbs from the rough into the fairway. Fast will promptly remove them as he rounds there daily. 2.) We are trying to get the PK rating on DG course review a bit higher to show the parks dept the improvements. If you like the improvements than post a good rating there."

Birdie initiative, double-bogey subtlety.

good find :thmbup: ... didn't think to look in facebook groups

So seeing as this is the case, does it still merit removing the reviews? They seem to be from legit people and it seems to be how they feel? Now that we know the situation, is removing the reviews a justified response? Just askin'.............jb

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DiscGolfAugusta/permalink/714105368600336/

"Greetings PK lovers. Fast Eddie has been working like a dog to improve PK and it's looking fantastic. He's too busy slaving on tee pads today but wanted me to post this. Two Things: 1.) If you are at pk playing a round or bored pull any "hazard" wood or limbs from the rough into the fairway. Fast will promptly remove them as he rounds there daily. 2.) We are trying to get the PK rating on DG course review a bit higher to show the parks dept the improvements. If you like the improvements than post a good rating there."

Birdie initiative, double-bogey subtlety.

Not sure a call to action, requesting all, "hazard" wood or limbs from the rough, is a great idea either. I can envision a bunch of newbs breaking down trees and live limbs to clear the course of any obstacles. But, hope for the best.

So seeing as this is the case, does it still merit removing the reviews? They seem to be from legit people and it seems to be how they feel? Now that we know the situation, is removing the reviews a justified response? Just askin'.............jb

This is kind of what I was thinking. If they're trying to get more funding for improvements (and the reviews aren't awful), removing those reviews seems counter-productive.

I read a bunch of those and didn't quite know what to make of them but something smelled beyond fishy. Stuff like that is why I appreciate (and try to write) reviews that quite descriptive and provide tangible substance.

To a certain extent, what you rate a course is meaningless if it's not substantiated by what you write. I say to a certain extent, because regardless of how useless or inflated a review is, that reviewer's rating still factors into the course. One two may not make that beig a difference if there's a large enough sample size, but if the course only has a few reviews, or a bunch of people do it, can have enough impact to push courses above/below certain filter criteria (e. 3.0 , 3.5, 4.0) for searches, and can affect travel plans.

That said, when selecting courses, I try to read fairly recent reviews from TR's or others I've come to trust, and those weigh most heavily in my decision making. As we all know, courses evolve and change (for better and for worse) over time.

To those who think there's no reason for them to write the 48th review of a course, I'd say if no TR's or reputable forum members have reviewed the course in the past year or so, your recent review will indeed be meaningful - it can serve to confirm the course is still as good as advertised...or that it isn't.

Perhaps more importanly, each additional genuinely objective review/rating helps increase the sample size so that HBB and other agenda based reviews are better mitigated. The more legit reviews a course has, the less power we give to those who rate courses with some form of gamesmanship in mind.

Last edited:
I have no comment on the recent reviews, but this past spring I played a round there.
Actually came across 2 gentleman working on a tee pad.
We politley asked if we could play or need to skip the hole and they both said to please play.
After a few minutes of small talk, I told them that we were out of towners, but appreciated their efforts.
The one gentleman said that they were improving the course to hopefully begin holding sanctioned tournaments there.
Maybe that is the reason for the recent "flurry" of reviews...?

A group of friends has taken over the course and done a ton of work to it. Some of it is good and some of it is bad, but they feel they need to justify what they did. PK is a boring par 54 classic style course with every hole ranging in the 220-300 ft range with most of them right at 250 feet. It is fun to go out there and rip a quick round in an hour or so but def not even close to a 5 star rated course.

The group has made some major improvements to the teepad areas to combat erosion, added trash cans and benches to almost every hole. These are some great improvements and we thank them for that! The main volunteer has also taken it up on himself to cut lines/fairways that follow the shape of HIS shot, and they have also moved a few baskets to align with that. It makes the course easier and less fun for many long time players of this course. We appreciate all they are doing but they could have at least consulted the Augusta area club for help with the changes and left sleeves int he ground at the old pin placements.

Don't get me wrong, the course looks great and they have done a lot of thankless work that was much needed. The holes are less overgrown, the fairways are clean, but they tweaked a few of the "different" holes. Now there are no holes to remember or signature holes, the course is just not a 5 disc course even with nice physical improvements. The design of the course leaves something more to be desired, and the changes they did to "fix" the design aspects actually made it worse.

The design of the course leaves something more to be desired, and the changes they did to "fix" the design aspects actually made it worse.

Please be specific about changes that made it worse.

I play this course frequently, especially when short on time or for a one disc round. I haven't seen any drastic changes to the hole layouts, just many "facility" improvements. More benches, cleaner fairways, better teepads, improved drainage, etc...

Please be specific about changes that made it worse.

I play this course frequently, especially when short on time or for a one disc round. I haven't seen any drastic changes to the hole layouts, just many "facility" improvements. More benches, cleaner fairways, better teepads, improved drainage, etc...

The facility improvements are awesome, and they are doing a great job curbing the erosion and adding amenities. None of these items constitute a 5 disc rating though.

Hole 3- the bushes on the left side that blocked the straight shot at the basket should have never been removed. This was a great hit a hole then hyzer shot, now it opens up bad shots going to the basket.

Hole 4- tee and basket change, this WAS the most unique hole on the course and one of the more unique forced shots in Augusta. It was designed to mimic an old hole at PK that was removed due to the redesign. The one that you had to throw a spike hyzer over the tree. This was a good hole replaced by another boring straight 250 foot hole.

Hole 7- Has 2 excellent par 4 positions that are never used anymore and have been removed from the design. Where the basket is now is basically a landing zone for the shot down the hill similar to the old hole 18 at PK.

Hole 13- The island of trees in the middle of the fairway were cut out, this created a 2 route shot and was a decent design feature. Now the shot is open to someones big S curving shot.

Hole 15- Why would you cut out those trees/bushes on the right corner of the hole?!?!? This hole is short 200 foot and technical and about 50 feet of brush was taken out to benifit someones S curve shot. This change baffles me.

Hole 16- The new pin position is just ok, the old one forced someone to throw a turnover shot that held its turn for 300 feet this was one of the best holes at PK.

Hole 18- Move the basket 30 feet to the right? makes it much easier for the sidearm and the basket was placed in a spot where many people "miss".

Basically seems like many of the physical changes to the course were done with out thought for the masses and creates "easier" holes for certain locals. Many of the long time players in the area are not a fan of those changes.

The "facility" changes are excellent and are great for the course and the park, but when changing holes at least leave the old sleeve in the ground to move it back and forth.

Pendleton reviewers at it again. I didn't dislike or report the reviews the first, as I guessed correctly, exactly what what/is going on. I just wish parks departments, and these reviewers would realize that much like you local municipal golf course will never be Augusta...most park course are not five/or even four rated courses. Should just be happy with the true 3 or 3.5. That is still a strong course....

^^^^^tried to edit; too late, never mind...having not played there; I really have no comment....

Latest posts