• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flygirls @ Flyboy, May 7-8th 2011

billnchristy

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Flygirls @ Flyboy
2 Day PDGA C-Tier, May 7-8th 2011
Flyboy Aviation Disc Golf, Whitesburg GA

PDGA page (registration not active yet):
http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/62786

Coming soon

It is that time again! I have been planning this shindig since my first women's event ended in June. Obviously we had some turbulence, but what flight doesn't have that? This event will hopefully be the largest women's event in GA for a second year in a row. We are doing some really cool stuff but we all know how much cool stuff costs don't we? This year the entry fee will cover all expenses for the weekend: camping, breakfast (x2), lunch (x2), and a dinner party on Saturday night!
I know it is mother's day weekend, but it is also for the women, so if mama wants to play she should be able to play dontcha think? Sunday is going to be a fast round as early as possible so we can get everyone fed, awarded and out before mid afternoon so no worries about losing the fancy dinner you are entitled to. You should have enough time to get home, clean up and have a great night.

The course will be divided into 2 18 hole courses. One more challenging than the other but both keeping with the flyboy flavor. Recreational players will only play the easier of the two layouts and it will feature minimal to no water carries. I am sure we will have some nice guys willing to get wet for you anyways though! The INT and up players will play both courses over the weekend.

Basic schedule: (Major TBD considering how far away we are)

Friday:
Early Check-in / Prepare course
Mixed doubles round (evening)* Pending approval for Friday play

Saturday:
8:00 breakfast / briefing
9:00 round 1 start (Rec- Short) (All others- Long)
12:00ish lunch
1:00ish Pro-am doubles (short course)
5:00ish Dinner followed by party
TBD Glow golf and Kan Jam* If mixed is nixed on Friday we will play mixed here

Sunday:
8:00 breakfast
8:30 round 2 start (all short)
12:00ish lunch
1:00ish Awards

Camping obviously available and all extra amenities are first come first serve. World champions stay in the B&B. We are going to try to work out a way to get everyone a chance at a shower on Saturday night.

Costs: (Tentative)

Pro- $60
Adv- $50
Int- $50
Rec- $40

Anybody with some math skills can see that this will not leave a lot for payout. That's where I am counting on you guys! I really need all the help I can get with this, just like last year. I know I can count on the awesome support like I got last year and believe me I appreciated every bit of it.

I am going to do things a little different than usual. Instead of having tee signs I am going to have individual sponsorships. I am hoping I can get every woman who enters sponsored. If this happens you can bet on a very happy payout again.

I am also working some major sponsorship angles again as well so for right now we will just talk about the low dollar ones.

Individual sponsorship- $25

Includes:
Invite to mixed doubles ($5 of each sponsorship will go to mixed pot)* (pending approval of play on Fri)
Thank you in program
Thank you at dinner
Sign with all individual sponsors
Thank you card signed by the person you sponsor

If you want to sponsor your wife/so/daughter/mother you can specify, otherwise it will be sequentially chosen.

I do not have a Juniors division planned due to the difficulty of the courses but if your girl plays near the Rec women's average please do not hesitate to put her in Rec. I just don't want really young girls to be tortured out there.

I know this is majorly early but I need to start fundraising immediately.

Also trophies will be custom made by our very own Woodcutter!! Anyone who has seen his work knows these are going to be money mundson when they are done. They also feature an actual turbine blade from an aircraft (Chinook helicopter in this case).

I wish there were at least 3 rounds, why only 2? BTW, I can send you a few CTP discs. I'll dig around.

So we could do the pro am doubles. there is 3, just 2 sanctioned.

Also flyboy rounds are like playing 2.

Did the stamp on last years disc have a pin up chick on a bomb? I thought that looked awesome and I'd buy one as a fundraiser for this years tourney if it looked that cool.

this would be fun to come caddy Leanne...How many people are you expecting? Like ERP last year?

Would you offer a camping and food package for caddies?

Camping is included for caddies, I hope to have enough food but I am paying $35 a head for food so the sponsor train better get chugging if I am going to have extra food. :)

Last year's ADGO tournament had the girl on the bomb, I don't have any more extras of those except the destroyer on the wall but I can ask on the ADGO board if there are any.

Turnout: hopefully more than ERP but you never know.

This year's fundraisers will be pro wraiths and r-pro XDs.

I am kicking around ideas for the art but it may feature a bomber with discing chick nose art, a chick riding a plane, a flying woman of some sort...so many options.

Cool! Like I said, I forgot how long Fly Boy was. I am still keeping it in my tourney possibilities for the year! Any big names attending you haven't let us know about?

Not yet. I am hoping to score some. Kelly has some tricks up his sleeve that will hopefully work out.

We are 3 months out after all...I just like to start early because of the extra leg work needed to get women to attend!!

Plan for the 2 courses, Kelly and I will walk them soon to firm it up but what I am thinking is:

North 18- More or less the original front 18 minus 18 because no runway holes are in play any more. This course will have several water carries but always an opportunity for layup or safe route. Probably in the 8000+ foot range. Int and up will play this course Saturday.

South 18- The remaining 6 holes of the back back 9 plus 12 more. This short course will be designed to keep Rec. players challenged but without making them want to quit playing forever. The only water carry will be possibly on 25 and we will use the drop zone as the tee and no road OB which gives you a 40' carry safe shot or around 120 or so straight at the basket. I am estimating this one will be close to 6000 but may be quite a bit less. The possibilities are endless Everyone will play this one for doubles and on Sunday...which gives you guys an advantage because you get to play the course in a non-competitive fashion (or less competitive) in the middle of the tournament.

When the SECO played the front 18 the SSA was 62, it will not quite be as high for us because 18 is gone but I am guessing 55-58 depending on how we lay it out...still a very big challenge but not crazy.

Hoping to have the South course under 50.

Kelly has drafted up the courses, they will be subject to tweaking but the basics:

North course:
Par 62, 7465'

South course:
Par 54, 4500'

Sounds like its going to be a good time. I am planning on making the trip down, but have to make sure I can get the time off and clear my schedule, should know more in a couple weeks.

Oh sweet, we will be glad to have you.

Thanks. I honestly can't see why I wouldn't be able to make it other than being busy at work and not being able to get the time off. As soon as I know for sure I will register and I have a sponsor lined up.

Have never played in a tourney before. I've played the weekly double a few times, but thats it. I'm thinking I will join the pdga and play a couple before I come down there, but as of now I have no idea what I should play as.

Oh wow, I thought you played a lot of tournies. I'd be glad to help you figure it out. PM me where you play and what you score and we can make an educated guess.

Latest posts