• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flying with a disc golf bag

stratedge

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Can anyone tell me whether you can or cannot get a full backpack style disc golf bag (or specifically the Lat 64 Luxury bag) onto a flight as carry on? Or do you have to check it?

Bonus points if you can state definitively for Air Canada / West Jet!

I am planning on playing at the Memorial this year and need to get my bag and discs out there. The bags don't collapse well and my discs are rather dear to me so I would like to empty out the bag save for the discs, and use it as my carry on bag. Checking it worries me, so my backup plan would be to fill it with clothes and then put the entire bag inside my suitcase, and take my discs in a carry on bag.

Yes, I've had a suitcase "lost" a few years back, so I am paranoid.

Something to consider is whether the airline charges for each checked bag, and how much and whether it would be cheaper to have your stuff shipped.

Since you'll be crossing an international boundary, and you'll probably want to take your discs back home afterwards, I'd venture that answer is a definite no. Don't even get me started on customs.

I have never been stopped to carry on my lat 64 luxury bag. Local US, international and local swedish airlines have all been fine with it. If you dont cram the sidepockets full it fits within the measurements.

I've never had a problem carrying on back-pack bags - some o/h compartments are too small, but it always fits under the seat in front.

I also generally travel with my cart, it's a repurposed stroller and airlines fly those for free. Baggage handlers love it when they are checked normally vs. at the gate.... I was only ever questioned once about it (it has DG stickers all over it) and I just said the wife and kid were on another flight and I got stuck with the stroller... ;)

I always carry my Grip bag with me onboard. Never a problem. I had backups in my luggage and the Airlines lost my luggage for 3 weeks- the entire length of my vacation. Don't risk it. TSA out of Austin, TX was really onto my DG bag this trip for some reason. They said all my discs had metal in them and it was setting off the machine. I've never seen that anywhere else. Word of caution- If you are one of the last people to board a domestic flight, you likely will not have any room for a bag unless it goes under the seat in front of you. Might have to gate check it. People are bringing as much carry on as possible.

I'm late to this, so it might not be of help, but I've carried my Simian on a few times without a hitch. The closest exception is that a row of discs look quite weird when x rayed (the denser edges show up but the centers don't; it looks like a weird cylinder), so my bag has been checked once or twice.

I've just avoided putting anything in the side pockets so they can smoosh down.

I went through multiple airports over the holidays with my Grip B15 bag and never had an issue.

My girlfriend really hates my bag because of the digital camo color, which she doesn't find appealing. However, on our way out of Houston Hobby Airport it saved us from a long wait at the security line. While waiting in line, a TSA agent came up to me and asked if I was an active military member. I said not active military, but I that I am a veteran of the U.S. armed forces and showed her my I.D. card. She said thank you and sent us to the front of the line. Needless to say, I spent a good few minutes afterwards gloating to my girlfriend about my great taste in bag color.

I always carry my Grip bag with me onboard. Never a problem. I had backups in my luggage and the Airlines lost my luggage for 3 weeks- the entire length of my vacation. Don't risk it. TSA out of Austin, TX was really onto my DG bag this trip for some reason. They said all my discs had metal in them and it was setting off the machine. I've never seen that anywhere else. Word of caution- If you are one of the last people to board a domestic flight, you likely will not have any room for a bag unless it goes under the seat in front of you. Might have to gate check it. People are bringing as much carry on as possible.

Talked to an x-ray guy about that when he said the same to me. Apparently the metallic salts used for weighting agents show up as metal on the scanners. My wife's 150 class discs don't show up that way, they're clearly plastic to the screeners so my bag almost always gets an extra look and hers doesn't. Either way, it's never been an issue for me on several flights (including a few on Air Canada) once they take a peek inside and see they're just plastic discs.

Anyone flown with a target embark bag with the PVC? I'm thinking I'll remove it cause I don't want them to think it's a pipe bomb or anything...

the metallic salts used for weighting agents show up as metal on the scanners.

Interesting. Now I'm going to have to run discs through my package x-ray machine at work.

I've never had a problem taking a fully stuffed mahal on flights -- discs, clothes, food, computer all fit inside. Sometimes TSA asks what they are, but that's it. 2-4 flights a year for 5+ years on various airlines in the continental US. I can't imagine it would be a problem internationally, they're just freaking frisbees.

Interesting. Now I'm going to have to run discs through my package x-ray machine at

image_zpsrfc2lal9.jpg

Just take the discs out of your bag & put em' in a bin. Or just leave them in, they'll maybe do additional screening on your bag which will take a few mins. They'll test your bag & see that it's just discs. No big deal. I work for TSA, met a guy who was down here in SW Fl. said his bag was check once because they didn't know what it was, so now he takes his discs out.

I flew with my Grip bag yesterday. It got more scrutiny than than ever before. They pulled it aside and took it for further inspection. The TSA agent pulled a few discs out, did a couple checks with the bomb chemical detector and eventually was satisfied that they were harmless. She then said, "I have to ask, what are these?"

I flew with my Grip bag yesterday. It got more scrutiny than than ever before. They pulled it aside and took it for further inspection. The TSA agent pulled a few discs out, did a couple checks with the bomb chemical detector and eventually was satisfied that they were harmless. She then said, "I have to ask, what are these?"

Which airport?