• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

footwear, socks & dirt

anyone have any recommendations for a pair of socks that dont allow stickers to stick to them....i ordered some neoprone socks on cabella's but they sent these big boot looking shoes

From personal experience go with Keens over Merrells. I've had several pairs of Merrells and liked them but they've always fallen apart quickly or had issues. I've had the air pockets in the soles pop on 2 pairs and the toe plastic inside the shoe crack and make clicking noises every time I took a step. The Keens I've had have never had issues, are always super comfortable, and their waterproof line, Keendry, is just as protective as GoreTex. Right now I have the Shellrocks wich are the best disc shoes I can imagine! They have super thick toe bumpers, great grip, are waterproof, and look awesome. Plus you can get them on closeout for about 70 bucks :thmbup:

Which merrell styles broke down and which had air bubbles? Were they vibram?

i just play barefoot for the most part... water is a non issue then and i not allergic to poisonous plants so.... yeah... also comes in handy when the guys in their expensive socks and shoes throw their disc in the drink... sure man i ll grab that for you...

I'm wearing tevas, new balance and bits depending on conditions and it's what I have. Wish for one pair always for disc but getting in river is sometimes avoidable. Boots and tennies not water proof so win had good combo for that I'd guess.

Keen makes a great boot and have a disc golf specific shoe called "Milo".

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/fw09/shoes/men/trailhead/milo

Just found the Milo shoe but not a fan of the style. I'm shallow like that.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was in that El Bean store tonight and almost bought another pair of Merrells because they were on sale but thought twice about it. I think I'll hold out until the end of the summer before I buy shoes with Al Goretex. maybe I'll try that plastic bag thing out in the meantime.

Last edited:
I enjoy my Oboz quiet nicely. Goretex lined and built well without being too heavy. Cost like 135. Awesome grip! I wear them most times I play but if it isn't too rocky or steep and generally pretty dry, I wear regular shoes.

Most of the time I play in sneakers and short socks.............for the wet mornings and rain I use a pair of hiking boots that I have had for years.

Goretex is a must as stated before if you want your feet to stay dry...........just bring a pair of sandals or sneakers to change into if your feet sweat alot like mine.

I'd second (or third) the tevas. I plan on getting wet every round; its just a part of the game.
I, too, have another pair of sandals that I change into because the gold sandals are usually wet.
A shamwow comes in handy too. With tevas you can be the first guy in the stream!

I just picked up a pair of these a few days ago, Merrell Moab Mid Gore-Tex XCR.

So far, I love how comfy they are, how grippy and strong the sole feels, and the Gore-Tex should be quite nice for the wetter days. Hopefully they hold up to my frenetic pace of playing DG...time will tell.

MRL-W87311-12-07.psd.fpx

I have had these for just over a year now. I love them. I have a couple hundred rounds on mine. I wear them everyday. I ordered mine in the gore-tex, but they did not come with the lining. I could have sent them back but didn't. When they were new I would have to replace my divot when driving from grass.
Vibram soles are the way to go. The soles are just now starting to show wear on them, right foot more so. I have had to super glue the outer edge of the toe box to the soles on each shoe, but that is no big deal considering what I have put them through.

They were the most comfortable right out of the box that I have ever owned. No need for a break in period. Most new shoes that I get, I must slowly acquaint them to my feet. Not the Merrel Moab Mids.

Latest posts