• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] for the love of all things not necessary: Wombat 3 is born...

Wombat3 reminds me of a less-touchy Comet. And I threw Rocs and Comets as my only mids for years.
As a fellow Roc/Comet thrower, I agree with your assessment. I actually really like Wombat3s. Star is my favorite plastic I've tried so far. If I only have one in the bag it is Star. If I have two, there is also a DX in there. The DX is significantly more understable but I always find it useful.

Put two Wombat3s in the bag today for testing. This disc is in serious danger of making the bag. Its competition is a 400G M4.

I have a Star Wombat3 and a Champion Wombat3. Both are very good discs.

Like you, my 'competition' was the M4 vs. the Wombat3. The only reasons the M4 won was because on the turnover shots I was throwing them on, the Wombat3 either didn't turn/drift enough or it faded out too much, while the M4 was (and is) a more consistent turnover flight; and because the wind affects the Wombat3 a bit more than it does the M4.

For that matter, the Foxbat is a great turnover disc without the bead, but the wind just loves to beat up my Foxbat like a playground bully beats up a redheaded stepchild...

Yesterday I played a practice round with my girlfriend. I fluffed a drive and left myself an awkward downhill shot that hooked left quickly, but needed to straighten out mid-flight. I said "this is a shot for the Wombat3, can you toss yours over?" I threw it on a hyzer, it flipped up perfectly and nearly went in for a birdie. I love my MD, but now I'm wondering if the Wombat3 will cover more shots.

Star is my favorite plastic I've tried so far.

Yep, mine are Star Wombat3s, around 171 grams.

Did a little field work after work. Wombat3 stood up pretty well to a mild headwind with a little hyzer. Even managed a few plausible sidearms.

Needs a good bit of height to glide out for distance. On high lines I was pushing fairway driver distance without too much effort.

If I ever need a reach-out RHFH that finishes left, Wombat3 is what I'll throw. Can't imagine I would need that line very often lol.

After reading the recent posts in this thread, just for funsies I put my 170g Star Foxbat in my bag for today's round. One of the first discs I ever bought. Threw the Foxbat on the dogleg-right hole, and it turned over perfectly and ended up 6 feet from the basket for the tap-in birdie. :thmbup: I can't trust the Foxbat in the wind, but like the Wombat/3, it's a lot of fun to throw.

So what weight works best for the Wombat?

I know similar flight discs like the Impact and Glide similar shape discs that tend to work best at the 170-172 gram and 173-174 grams for impact and 173-174 gram and 175-176 gram for the Glide to have the slightly US Glide to have same flight as an Impact you go up just a hair in the weights, though I bet a 170-172 Glide would work okay just be a tad US from an Impact. The reason is anything 167 grams and under for the two molds the disc has too much floating glide and too hevey the disc drops quick like some putters. I keep seeing people mention using around 170-172 grams and 173 grams as well, seems like the mold does best at those weights like the Impact but I have been wrong before. Like same thing with the 180 gram max diameter Stalker, the 170-172 grams and 173-174 grams in the disc weight work best depending on arm speed even though the mold can go to 179 grams.

Last edited:
I don't know what works BEST but I'm perfectly happy with my 180s and 150s.
The 150 DX is very understable but the glide never quits. It's great for get-out-of-trouble shots.

Okay so it is not like the Impact and Glide where the molds need a specific window of weight or they are too light or too heavy to fly the way the flight path indicates.

I believe there is sufficient proof that individual disc geometry is a bigger influence on a disc's flight. I threw all 150g or less (drivers, mids, and putters) for 8 years and had plenty of overstable discs. Some of those discs were more overstable than their max weight counterparts.

IMO, there are much more important things to worry about than +/- 5g. PLH is much better than weight for determining a disc's stability. 5 grams is less than 3% of a 175g disc's weight.

If the 172 range is what you've been throwing for similar discs, then that's probably where you should probably start your Wombat3 search.

Last edited:
So what weight works best for the Wombat? .

There's no one answer; it depends on the person. For some, max weight will be best, while a lighter weight is indicated for others. I personally prefer my mids and fairway drivers in the 160-class, but I've done well with mids in the low 170s, as well. What works best for you on the courses you play is your best answer..

There's no one answer; it depends on the person.....What works best for you on the courses you play is your best answer..

What he said. I use the 150DX for straight steep uphill woods shots. Also is excellent for really straight rollers backhand that never turn out, just stay straight until they fall over. 158-162g DX for longer putts and specific flat turnover or straight woods lines. 167 Star is my work horse. 180-220' upshots of all descriptions, some ungodly downhill long glidey sunk-in-a-ditch I overthrew it straight downhill shots. [emoji106][emoji41] Just try the thang and get it over with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no one answer; it depends on the person. For some, max weight will be best, while a lighter weight is indicated for others. I personally prefer my mids and fairway drivers in the 160-class, but I've done well with mids in the low 170s, as well. What works best for you on the courses you play is your best answer..

Okay, so weight depends on what kind of course you plat/arm speed for the disc. ;)

Can't believe this thread has been dead for 2 years...

My fiancee has been throwing a Star Wombat3 for a few years and I always loved the flight. I got a Champ to try since I generally prefer that plastic, but it was flatter and didn't feel as good as her Star. Then I got a newer Star and it was too soft for me. I'm sure I could find a run in either plastic that I like, but I kind of gave up on the mold for a while.

I was able to get my hands on a couple GG Portland Open Halos and they are exactly what I was hoping for in feel and flight. Essentially just a bit stiffer Star. Out of the box they flip up then lock into their line for the rest of the flight. It's probably one of the most fun discs to throw if you ask me.

recently picked up a star wombat3, seems exactly like a kastaplast svea with bead, but not quite as long(5-10%)

My wife has a Wombat3 or two. They fly nice and long and are firmly in the Svea, Comet, Fuse family. I still think the RPM Piwakwaka is the best of the bunch though :)

year and half later and after buying a champ and halo along with the star(see 2 posts above) i sold the star and kept the champ and halo. i dont need both on open bomber courses but both are very usable discs, halo being straigher and the champ turns a bit more. Now that ive had a couple more years to work on throwing understable discs, I'd say that the champ fits in with my K1 Stig and APex lobster. I like all of the the molds, and since im no pro or plan on playing a bunch of tourneys, i rotate them in my bag. its hard to say which i like the most but probably Stig, followed closely by the wombat3 & lobster. All great but if youre more innova id go wombat. The Halo Wombat & K1 hard stig are closer to straight but cant both turn right fairly easily if thrown hard flat or on anny