• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable Comet such a thing?

Art Stryker

Bogey Member
I just recently purchased a Ledgestone Open Crystal Z Comet. Somebody traded it in and i got it for 6 bucks in the used bin. Anyways.

My first throw with it confused me. I thought maybe i messed up so i threw my other 3 comets in my bag. All 3 threw like a Comet. Throw the Crystal Z and same thing,overstable or stable i guess you could say.

Shots that i normally use my buzzz on I'm using the Crystal Z Comet. I love this disc.

Is that normal for a comet to be like this? I've got a Big Z comet that is stable but still has turn to it. I've thrown others and they all have had turn. The Crystal Z has no turn at all. I love it. 👍

I would more so say that its normal for a CryZtal disc. I used to throw the CryZtal Buzzz exclusively for the HSS.

I would more so say that its normal for a CryZtal disc. I used to throw the CryZtal Buzzz exclusively for the HSS.
I was just gonna hang it on my wall in my collectable room,but this is staying in the bag.

The two Sparkle Z MJs I have from a few years back are the most overstable (relatively speaking) Comets I've ever thrown. Both have a high shoulder and decent dome.

The two Sparkle Z MJs I have from a few years back are the most overstable (relatively speaking) Comets I've ever thrown. Both have a high shoulder and decent dome.
Yeah the one i got has a good dome and is very solid,if that makes sense. I have yet to look at the plh on it.

I just recently purchased a Ledgestone Open Crystal Z Comet. Somebody traded it in and i got it for 6 bucks in the used bin. Anyways.

My first throw with it confused me. I thought maybe i messed up so i threw my other 3 comets in my bag. All 3 threw like a Comet. Throw the Crystal Z and same thing,overstable or stable i guess you could say.

Shots that i normally use my buzzz on I'm using the Crystal Z Comet. I love this disc.

Is that normal for a comet to be like this? I've got a Big Z comet that is stable but still has turn to it. I've thrown others and they all have had turn. The Crystal Z has no turn at all. I love it. 👍
What is the vintage of your other Comets? IMO Comets in general are more OS than they were up to...hard to say. 2016? 2017? Maybe later? I'll go with "post pandemic Comets seem more OS" but it could have started earlier.

The Z metal flake tour series were pretty stable Comets, but I think the TI comets that came out of the 2017-18ish Ledgestone release group are easily the most stable Comets out there.

I had a heavy red ESP Comet from at least 10 years ago that flew like a Roc. Thing was a Comet In Name Only. My coworker threw it in a pond earlier this year, maybe when it comes out it will be more workable.

I had one Crystal Z that was more stable, it flew great, probably the only Comet I ever liked.

The Cobalt Iguana throws very similar to that Comet, so it's ITB now.

Like Grip, I have a pair of comets with high shoulder and significantly more dome (from a run of Big Z in my case). They fly noticeably more overstable than my other Comets.

My Cryztal Sparkle Ledgestone Comet started out pretty stable, but broke in to flippy WAY faster than Cryztal used to. It's not as stable as the Z Swirl ones, Big Z ones, or some of the production Z ones, but it was still a disc that was DEFINITELY going to fade back, instead of fade to flat.

Which was really odd to me, because it's pretty flat - and the flat ones were the flippy ones back in the LE ESP days...

What is the vintage of your other Comets? IMO Comets in general are more OS than they were up to...hard to say. 2016? 2017? Maybe later? I'll go with "post pandemic Comets seem more OS" but it could have started earlier.

I think when the launched the tour series discs, there was a lot more variation of the stability for the comet in general.

I have 2018s that are quite overstable (made to MJ spec that he wanted) but I have ESP LE that are similar from 10 years prior...then there's anomalous runs like the Icon series last year, which seem to have zero high speed turn (at least the 2 that I have), versus the 2020 swirl Z MJs that were fairly flippy for a z comet off the shelf.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the standard these days - and it's not just Discraft and Comets. Any brand that has fully bought in to the boutique/tour series line seems to have some incredible variations between different plastics from year to year.

I wouldn't call the cryztal Z Sparkle Comets stable, I'd call them glideless. For me they just don't float in the air forever like I'm used to a Comet doing.

IMO the most stable Comets are the old early(possibly first?) run of Z with the circle elite X stamp, I've only seen them in red and yellow. Then the old blue sparkle Z run for the Ron Russel National Tour Special Edition and also for US Amateur Disc Golf Championships. Followed by the LE esp's with high shoulder and big dome. Then the 2018 MJ swirly esp which were pretty stable without needing the big dome of the LE. IMG_6211.jpeg

I really like the old sparkle Z. It was run for the Ron Russel Special Edition and US Amateur Championships in blue sparkle Z, then again for DGLO in green sparkle. IMG_0405.jpegIMG_0402.jpegIMG_6216.jpeg

The sparkle in the older sparkle Z runs was finer than the metal flake type sparkle in the recent sparkle Z runs for Ledgestone. The older sparkle Z flew like Comets still, they had the Comet glide just much more resistant to turn with a reliable fade as they slowed down.

I never found the Ron Russel Comets to be that glidey. The DGLO ones were, so were the yellow/red ones with the X stamp. The RR I had was a brick, albeit a very overstable one. It flew more like an MRV.

I never found the Ron Russel Comets to be that glidey. The DGLO ones were, so were the yellow/red ones with the X stamp. The RR I had was a brick, albeit a very overstable one. It flew more like an MRV.
I've only thrown the previously used shakey Z Ron Russell. It may have come previously beat in a bit, it was fairly glidey when it found its way to me. I loved bagging it until the first time I played to close to dark and almost lost it in the woods after a bad kick.

Then I picked up the Lady Gaga dyed X stamped Z's and they were just chefs kiss perfect and this yellow one kicked the shakey Z RR one out.IMG_0585.jpeg

Gaga is starting to get to the sweet spot where it still has its hss but is starting to lose lss. I may be putting one of @VictorB 's old pink beauty LE's back in the bag for overstable comet shots.

Had a buddy hand me his sparkle blank comet. We are pretty sure its a Cryztal sparkle ledgestone one, but its blank and stiff like old Z so we aren't sure. With two throws it was almost as close to flying like a wasp as it was most comets. The TI and my most stable ESP MJs come close but this thing was pulling out of annys and coming back left. It was a touch more stable than my Iguanas which I endearingly call my Comet-X's

Had a buddy hand me his sparkle blank comet. We are pretty sure its a Cryztal sparkle ledgestone one, but its blank and stiff like old Z so we aren't sure. With two throws it was almost as close to flying like a wasp as it was most comets. The TI and my most stable ESP MJs come close but this thing was pulling out of annys and coming back left. It was a touch more stable than my Iguanas which I endearingly call my Comet-X's
The Ledgestone Cryztal Sparkle ones are gummy, not stiff like the old pre-regular-production Z ones. Any chance you snagged a pic?

The Ledgestone Cryztal Sparkle ones are gummy, not stiff like the old pre-regular-production Z ones. Any chance you snagged a pic?

No picture handy. It is clear/whiteish with silver flakes. Completely blank. No idea on tooling. On the domier side for a comet for sure, but not as domey as my bottom stamp ESP swirl MJs. I think he picked it up about 6 months ago from a shop between Peoria and Michigan on a road trip.