• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Forehand disc for...

ranger

* Ace Member *
someone who sucks?

I'm terrible at forehand but motivated to improve. What disc would be a bit more forgiving?

lots of folks will probably tell you to try a buzzz or something slow and neutral

cyclones aren't bad

there are plenty of options, just grab a stack of discs and start throwing them, something is bound to work

ugh

maybe I'm hopeless

I was using a buzz all summer for FH but I was still inconsistent.

I forehand my Suspect often. Mostly for get-out-of-jail shots but occasionally for forehand approaches. Handy for a LHBH player...

Nice and slow with a shallow rim and flat top. Releases easy and provides immediate feedback on OAT. Good FH learning disc for me! :thmbup:

Brutally honest FH disc? Light X Comet.

It'll be frustrating at first, but once you get it right it'll be worth it.

I have a z comet that's pretty rough with BH

will that do?

I started off throwing forehand with a 175 pro wraith and its still in my bag for forehand shots

what is your fh goal?

something to use situationally or driving off the tee?

i like to compare throwing fh to cracking a whip or maybe fly fishing, something with a fair amount of wrist action and smooth follow through

Start with an ultimate disc.

Learn how to get the snap down correctly that an ultimate player uses when they forehand, then take what you learned and apply it to disc golf.

I used to be in your shoes about a year ago. Then one of my buddies sat me down with an ultimate disc and taught me how to throw one of those, and since then my forehand has improved greatly.

what is your fh goal?

something to use situationally or driving off the tee?

i like to compare throwing fh to cracking a whip or maybe fly fishing, something with a fair amount of wrist action and smooth follow through

Both

I use it now when I'm stuck but I'm usually way off to the right.

I also want to drive off the tee. Sometimes I can do it during practice but it usually goes bad in a game. Two weeks ago I threw a FH in a game and it basically ended up behind the tee box. I'm pretty sure it's ranked in the top five worst disc golf shots ever.

I usually feel more comfortable with a split finger but I get more distance with two fingers.

I've been using an old pearly Orc and boatman but my best disc for FH seems to be a z nuke.

Learn how to get the snap down correctly that an ultimate player uses when they forehand, then take what you learned and apply it to disc golf.

I used to be in your shoes about a year ago. Then one of my buddies sat me down with an ultimate disc and taught me how to throw one of those, and since then my forehand has improved greatly.

will be trying this

I have proved that wrong in the past

my bags full of teebirds, so that would be nice. Heavy champ teebird?

I feel like one of the biggest misconceptions about forehands are that you need to run up and use lots of arm on them like you would a backhand. From that, I can see people developing bad habits. I started throwing forehand with putters, just getting the flick down, then moved on to mids and then eventually drivers. Everyone is different, learns differently, and has things that do and don't work for them, but I like the idea of using a slow, glidey disc to start off with. Horsman's advice is solid.

I have proved that wrong in the past

my bags full of teebirds, so that would be nice. Heavy champ teebird?

I use a flat 175g Champion Teebird. Here is my technique. When throwing forehand, try to take your arm out of the equation. Use your core. I keep my arm close to my body. My elbow is tucked right above my hip and the disc is held close to my shoulder. Power your throw with your hips and shoulders....don't whip your arm around. Take your middle finger and stack it on top of your index finger. Create a claw with those fingers and tuck them under the rim. Throw that Teebird flat or with a slight touch of anhyzer/hyzer. Your welcome. :D

Last edited:
Start with a target 50-75 feet away. Work on clean flat releases. As you get this distance and accuracy dialed in, move further back. 100-125. Then 150-200 and so on.

But focus on clean flat releases as you learn from the shorter distances. If you see lots of wobble, you are likely rolling your wrist.

Good luck.

I would use a Suspect.

What he said.

I don't forehand in disc golf, but I do in ultimate. Don't fall into the myth that you need over stable discs for forehand; it's a lie to cover up bad form. Watch ultimate players on YouTube and you'll see some incredibly clean form a finesse of a neutral ultimate disc.

I learned on a pro rhyno, then a Yeti Aviar when I cleaned up my release a bit. Shallower rims are a bit easier to FH.

Now I'm trying to FH non-flat Rocs and it's going... okay. Go with the Comet and/or Ultimate disc to learn finesse quickly. If BH is your main shot, then finesse should be a high priority with your FH.

I use the flick. Seems that a disc named for it is the best to me... Lol

I'm not very good at flicking but that disc fixed a whole lot to where now I can flick with ease

Latest posts