• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Disc Selection Recommendations

This season I have accumulated many discs I won't be using anytime soon while I try and a find a disc that works for my very small girlfriend with a weak forehand. So far we have found the Archangel and the Roadrunner to be her best drivers. She can get the Buzz almost as far and her aim with a U2-Prostyle is deadly at best. What I am looking for is a disc that can help her throw farther. 150' - 200' is her current maximum range.

Some suggestions on technique would be welcome as well. My forehand is terrible and I have no good advice for her, even after reading articles and watching videos. She gave up the hop on her approach which has helped and tries to stay focused on the scoop/flick.

One thing I read in a recent magazine gave the advice of bending at the elbow, keeping the elbow in close to your side and moving the hip in sync with the elbow. It's generally all about practice. The style of finger position that I use is two fingers (index & middle) on the inside of the rim, and I use the ring finger as a kind of shelf to keep the disc in-line. I started forehand-ing with an S-curve driver (sidewinder), but I don't know if that's the easiest or not. Been playing for a year and a half and at least half of that has been forehanding only due to a shoulder injury.

I throw primarily forehand, and my best word of advice is to watch videos of people throwing forehand (not neccesarily super-humans like avery jenkins or barry schultz, guys on youtube that can throw pretty well). Try searching for DG Aces on youtube, since those guys at least must have solid aim (and luck) , thats what helped me.

The way I hold the disc when I throw is with the middle finger on the inside of the rim, and the index finger to stabilize it. Thumb goes on top of disc, and ring finger and pinky curl up and just chill. The angle between my index and middle finger when they are on the underside of a disc is 90 degrees. Get as close to a right angle as you comfortably can. This will generally give you more control and stability than two fingers against the inside of the rim, with perhaps a little power (but a clean, controlled release will increase the distance as well as accuracy, so its all good)

Have her try throwing an aerobie arrow. It will go super-straight when thrown forearm. I crank on mine as hard as I can, and it wont turn over, but at the same time, a soft flick with not much spin will still go pretty straight.

If she's throwing a buzz almost as far as the much faster roadrunner and archangel, then shes probably not able to throw this faster discs even close to their design speeds, so they wont do what they are supposed to. Instead, if she throws some slower discs for awhile and learns to control them, then mover up the speed a bit. Hence the arrow: its a very slow disc so she should be able to handle now, but as she moves up in power and spin, it won't get flippy on her. It can help her practice accuracy, too, since it will go straight with a predictable little fade at the end.

I throw Wraiths forearm, but am just starting to learn backhand and dont have nearly the power or spin as I get with forearm yet, so the fastest/ most overstable thing I throw with my backhand is a Pro-D XL, so I've put myself on training wheels as I develop better technique and power.

Innova just announced that they are making the Panther in 135 weights in pink and purple just for women. Worth looking into. If you can't find any email me and I will see what I can do. Likely order a couple for my wife and daughters. I actually consider myself a "bigger" arm but look forward to throwing something that light. I don't throw much less than 175 regardless of disc. An older model disc that is great for women and kids to start on is the Ace. I think it runs around 150 gms. There are all kinds of discs in lighter wts now too.

Keith
[email protected]

I throw some mean side arm throws. I am teaching my wife how to throw. I have her using a Valkerie. Stay under the 165 range. The Valkerie is very easy side arm disc and easy to learn the back hand as well. I have her throuw both ways.

My wife & son both throw Avenger SS in the FLX plastic.. 168 grams. He's 6 and throws a wicked forehand laser that goes 60 ft. My wife throws in the 150 - 200 ft range with just a hint of turnover. For someone with a soft arm and not too much snap it's a great disc. I think it's rated as a .5 to the left.

Generally, I think people who can throw sidearm and backhand find it easier to get a ton of snap, ie spin with the sidearm, (thats why they call it the flick in ultimate) so once they can get a clean release on it (not wobbly) with some decent spin, the spin should come pretty easily. Its like a forehand shot in racquetball, alot of wrist snap, keep it level. So once they get decent at it, they should be able to get it reasonably far without it fading out, due to spin. Good luck

Funny, I've been playing serious racquetball for 18 years and my forehand in disc golf is awful....

I throw primarily sidearm also, I have found that using my champion discs (firebird and viking) fly the best using sidearm. I can hit 300' with a very short delivery putting maximum spin on the disc. I think it is all in the wrist. This shortens the delivery and increases the accuracy of the throw. Just keep the elbow close to the body and flick the forearm and wrist.

Not to sound cliche but i really feel the sidearm/forehand throw is all in the hips. your legs and hip torque can create a lot of energy and power which results in less arm strain and fatigue. i personally keep an offset foot stance with my left foot out front to plant on and create maximum torque for a right handed thrower. i know that if my arm feels strained after i throw i wasnt throwing correctly and need to use my hips to bring my arm around. my personal view is it should never hurt to play sport, if it does youre doing it wrong, unless it is a previous injury.

petecarp

Coming from the Forehand Expert.....

Not trying to sound cocky but forehand is my money shot. Now to answer the question of best discs for flicking it comes down to the individual. Knowing what I know now, when I try to teach people how to throw forehands I always go overstable and I think it is best to start with a slower disc like a Banshee or Predator or something like that. You probably arent going to create enough disc speed at first so it's best to go with and overstable fairway driver. At first I would focus on working on keeping the disc level pulling it back then abruptly stopping your wrist and following through with a "flick" of your wrist. ******The flick is CRITICAL for distance******** so focus on getting the basics down first before cocking all the way back and letting it go.

For those that dont need tips.... I feel like there are two schools of people who throw forehands and for each I think different discs are necessary.
For myself... I am about a 400-430 feet consistently in distance but I try to get the disc low and zip it out there with a hard right finish. For this because I generate so much spin on the disc it is necessary to use a MAXIMUM overstable driver because it seems to me like forehands spin more so by spinning faster than designed they become stable in flight and fly very straight and finish with a hard right finish.

For others.... I notice that they will flick the disc and it travels out and sway to the right in the air, sway back left and finish right. Alot of people do this with alot of success but you need favorable wind conditions to do this.

As an pretty good player here is my bag of goodies....

175g Innova Max (3 in different ages of wear)
169 G Teerex
175 G Teerex
175 G Crush
175 G Flick
150 G Flick
175 G Banshee

Keyword OVERSTABLE

I found that heavier, thicker rimmed drivers in champion or star type plastics are easier to learn on. I learned the sidearm with champ Valk., which I still use. As you get better, you can go with something more stable. I use a Teerex for long straight shots that I want to fade right( I'm a righty), the Valkyrie for low straight up the gut shots, and a sidewinder for turnover shots.

I tried a lot of discs at first, but it wasn't until I got a heavier disc that I learned to snap it out there. Now it's not an issue i can pretty much throw any of them.

i'm a baseball player that had to develop a sidearm / 3/4 arm to continue playing OF after i sustained a hockey injury which ended my pitching career. my forehand (LH) is a little inconsistent - i either can throw a 400' bomb or it's a 200' wormburner right that might roll. When i finally read up on the whole stability thing - i saw how i used to just pull everything right after a while so i figured i needed a more overstable disc - so i got a 171 Flick - it's the most overstable disc - way more than i needed - i usually need to throw it with some anhyser and sometimes ¾ arm angle since it just fades fast if it loses speed, Not a beginner disc. I'm now trying to develop way to throw with nose down - if there's any nose up it just goes real high and left.
I bought a firebird thinking it's a little slower and a bit more understable than the Flick - but i think i'm throwing it as hard as the Flick and it just goes right and not very far. Need to cut the power down a little. I think it requires a touch of hyzer. I sometimes experiment with my Orc/ Flash /Surge (all 171-172g ) but throw with some hyzer - they can really take off - get huge s curves and get some huge distance - the problem is i feel that throwing a hyzer when throwing sidearm feels fairly unnatural and seems "all arm" compared to what i could get when throwing pure sidearm. I like the distance i can get with the Flick - but it seems very unforgiving -- when i get it right its unbelievable- so i know i can get it right - ill need to work with it more to get some consistancy - i feel i can overpower the firebird if i throw it flat - what could be a happy medium - faster than firebird but less stable than the flick? could a 150 flick be a feasible option? Any other suggestions?
luckily i've also been working on my BH a bunch and the gap is closing - slowly but surely - i like having the option of both types of drives seems like a huge advantage

Rbuzz.....disc selection is probably the hardest advice since everyone has different throwing styles, but here is a suggestion...a Destroyer. Definately one of the fastest discs on the market, not nearly as stable as the flick. Try getting a 175g. That way it will be just slightly more stable. I've been trying to find the right "fit" for myself as far as forehand discs are concerned, and have not found anything that will throw as far as the destroyer. When I throw forehand I typically throw flat/level and let the disc do the turning.I have only thrown in the "star" plastic, so not sure how it would handle in anything else, but have really been happiest with the destroyer over all the discs I've tried over the years.

I have to agree, the destroyer is probably the best sidearm disc out there... but it's no good if you don't have much experience or the arm to crank it.

I'd suggest an Avenger SS in the 150 class if you're starting out.

I've been throwing sidearm since I was a kid, and it's still my goto throw for distance. With open space to work with, 400'+ is possible with pretty high consistency, especially if you make intelligent use of whatever wind is available.

For pure maximum distance, I agree that it's hard to outdrive a destroyer. I keep two Star plastic, 167-169 Destroyers in my bag for max-D shots (forehand and backhand). However, I throw sidearm with every disc in my bag -- mids, putters, all drivers, etc. With practice, you should be able to flick your putter flat 200-250' with pretty high consistency.

The caveat to the Destroyer is that it is squirrellier than a lot of other discs, so it's hard to know where your max-D shot will land. For consistency, something a notch slower -- like a wraith, orc or valkyrie -- is preferably for most shots.

Most people use too much arm or roll their wrist as they throw, and this produces a tendency to flip the disc over early or burn it into the ground. Other common practices are to follow through too high and the disc stalls out nose up.

Keep a nice, flat throw, elbow close to the body, hard snap -- similar to the motion of popping a towel at someone -- and just get some field practice working on different lines.

My favorite disc for flick shots is a Champion/CE/Proline Firebird, somewhere in the 160s. Both the F (FX) and FL molds work very well. The Firebird is incredibly consistent and the spike-flick shot is unbelievably predictable for shots inside 250', and the low, skip-flick is unbeatable for getting around corners, as long as the ground is accommodating to the skip.

If I was recommending a practice regimen, I'd suggest playing several rounds of golf where you keep two simultaneous scores on every hole -- one for your backhand and one for your forehand. Place duplicates of every disc in your bag and throw the same disc with each hand throughout the hole. For putts, use this as a chance to practice flick putts and Turbo putts, since you'll need both shots someday in the woods. Keep separate FH/BH scores and see how they compare at the end of the round.

I started by throwing all flicks, so playing with two scores is how I learned to throw a BH -- it forced a lot of shots I would have never tried otherwise, and was of immense help in improving my overall game.

Thanks for the advice - i think i'll check out the Destroyer - if nothing else would be another good forearm disc to practice with - i know the rim is wide - is the disc shallow or deeper than the flick? i can barely cram just over half of my middlefinger onto the inside of the flick - i'd like a little deeper rim - but i know we're talking about highspeed stuff and with that there's a limit to how deep they can go. -is there a limit on how shallow a disc can be?

Try the Teerex. I can't throw it backhand to save my life. I rarely throw forehand but tried it with the Teerex and was amazed at the distance I was pulling off.

A question for all you guys who throw good forhands. I've never been able to master the shot. Sometimes I throw an acceptable one, for me, and the other times they're complete garbage.

So... assuming I'm standing on the tee. Wide open shot. How should my feet be positioned? Elbow? Disc position in hand? Fingers on rim? etc etc.