• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand Form

Is the backwards-falling followthrough the result of you not throwing at full power?

Other than that, it looks fairly sold. No wrist roll, clean release.

yeah it was not too long of a hole. But if i throw for longer distance i follow through and go off the tee pad.

You are off balance and oating/rolling your wrist over. Looks like your shoulders rotate too far before the hit so you are not squared to target and not maintaining power through the spinal axis. Compare your wild follow through to the smooth follow through of Wysocki, Koiling, and Bennett, and note their head/chest is over their front foot at the hit, the front should rises, finish palm/arm up, and momentum toward the target.

Depending on your grip, you may not want to finish palm up. Koiling in the first video doesn't because his grip isn't palm up. Even Bennett in the 2nd video doesn't finish palm up, he's just throwing a hyzer-flip. Avery is good example here (2nd throw):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHSZyYAVPbs

I also think, for most people, having a grip that's more vertical than palm-up allows for more wrist movement (if your hand is palm up, there's very little range of motion without rolling), and a better disc pivot.

Last edited:
Depending on your grip, you may not want to finish palm up. Koiling in the first video doesn't because his grip isn't palm up. Even Bennett in the 2nd video doesn't finish palm up, he's just throwing a hyzer-flip. Avery is good example here (2nd throw):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHSZyYAVPbs

I also think, for most people, having a grip that's more vertical than palm-up allows for more wrist movement (if your hand is palm up, there's very little range of motion without rolling), and a better disc pivot.

I agree with your points although I wasn't specifically talking about grip. Note I said "palm/arm finishes up", but they ain't finishing palm and arm down like ClarkFTW is(the throws you mention are wrist neutral with arm up). If ClarkFTW didn't finish with his palm/arm down he would be throwing huge nose up stalls, because he is so far off balance. Or he could be so far off balance to compensate for the wrist roll. Either way it's not a form I would endorse.

Looks like he just threw a roller, palm down, arm low. Balance is way behind the front foot even after the throw.
armdown.jpg

compared to this:
AveryFHrelease.jpg

Last edited:
IMO you should try inverting you X step for even more D this will turn your body slightly away from your target much like a BH X step. FH is all about your hip rotation and if you get your hips turned more away form the target you can achieve more momentum.

Looks like he just threw a roller, palm down, arm low. Balance is way behind the front foot even after the throw.
Wrist roll is definitely there, guess I missed it in the first viewing.

I think a lot of the shoulder plane issues may be a result of the abbreviated follow through. Hard to tell without seeing a video of a full power throw.

IMO you should try inverting you X step for even more D this will turn your body slightly away from your target much like a BH X step. FH is all about your hip rotation and if you get your hips turned more away form the target you can achieve more momentum.

This is what I was gonna comment on. The right foot needs to come behind the left for the 'x' in an x-step. It might feel weird at first, but should help getting the hips more involved in the throw like E-rock said.

This is what I was gonna comment on. The right foot needs to come behind the left for the 'x' in an x-step. It might feel weird at first, but should help getting the hips more involved in the throw like E-rock said.

While I do a real FH x-step myself and agree it helps turn my hips more like a pitcher, I have a hard suggesting to change it. Watch Wysocki and Avery, they both do the backwards x-step and throw absolute friggin' bombs!

While I do a real FH x-step myself and agree it helps turn my hips more like a pitcher, I have a hard suggesting to change it. Watch Wysocki and Avery, they both do the backwards x-step and throw absolute friggin' bombs!

From the best I can tell, they're basically doing a hop step going into the plant step. Not saying it couldn't work, but it seems like it would take more timing for it to work. But like u said, if it's working, I wouldn't suggest changing it either.

From the best I can tell, they're basically doing a hop step going into the plant step. Not saying it couldn't work, but it seems like it would take more timing for it to work. But like u said, if it's working, I wouldn't suggest changing it either.

It's not as necessary as it is backhand because your throwing arm is the trailing arm when you throw sidearm. Ville Piippo, arguably the best sidearm-dominant pro, doesn't x-step and barely has any run up.

Coming from baseball, but not pitching, my sidearm run up is similar to a mini crow-hop. Which means I don't x-step.

Probably also has to do with how flexible you are--whether or not you're able to rotate your hips/shoulders without actually x-stepping.

Ville Piippo has a double hop follow through on his big D shots. He does not have the best distance IMO. He is very very accurate but not really a bomber. I have been playing with this all summer I do a bit of a hop run up my right heel points to my target . Its not really an X Step my right foot is basicaly even with my left but behinde it.

I am going to to a FH form vid someday because it is hard to explane without a visual. I have a hard time believing the OP is getting 450' with the form he showed in this thread but whatever.

I am going to to a FH form vid someday because it is hard to explane without a visual. I have a hard time believing the OP is getting 450' with the form he showed in this thread but whatever.

I don't doubt the distance, but wonder about consistency. To my eye, it looked like all three follow throughs were different. Looked like good form until the time he released the disc.

IIRC Ville was an Olympic Javelin thrower, and is definitely one of the best FH throwers and was probably the best Overhand thrower before injury which caters more toward Javelin. Ville had the world record for the longest cell phone throw.

I agree with mjdepue, I don't think hip turn matters nearly as much as backhand because the leverage is different, but it's about a quick hip blast. Also FWIW I don't think the OP is consistently hitting 450', as I've said before I take distances posted with a grain of salt.

wow i cant get anywhere close to a forehand without flutter if i use more than one finger