• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Forward Hand Disc Suggestions

LunchBox501

I am dominate to forward hand due to 3 hip surgeries and backhand requires to much of my hips at the tee off. I know the Discraft Flick and Drone are both good for forward hand. Since I am getting back into the sport would like to see what options I may have for forward hand throwers. What disc would you suggest and what disc to avoid? Also I seem to be doing well with 167-169g disc is that good for Drivers or is heavier better? Thanks for any input!

~LunchBox

how did you injure yourself? was it from disc golf?

Depends, If you want just 1 disc, probably something like a Heavy Volt would be good. Or a lightweight Orc. Drone is an awesome midrange forehand disc.

Wouldn't you still use some hips with forehand? Unless you are planning on just standing there and whipping your arm. I feel like the flick wouldn't do you any good if you don't want to use your hips. I would avoid high speed, overstable discs. Stick to low speed fairways (Volt, Teebird, etc).

Heavier isn't necessarily always better. Its more about what you are used to. A heavier disc is less affected by wind. However if wind isn't an issue, and you are able to consistently get good distance, you should stick to the weights you have. More weight won't get you more distance unless you can put more power on the discs.

Discmania Jackal (FD) S-line is great. Innova Leopard and Cheetah and archon and Beast. Fury and Amp are very good too.

I avoid throwing a River forehand. And I avoid throwing a Kite forehand or any kind of putter or midrange disc with a deep lip.

Overstable discs are "supposed" to be good for forehand, but the best forehand players use understable discs as well. If you are getting started, a Leopard is a great disc to throw forehand because a little effort will keep this disc in the air for smooth, easy distance. I tend to have better results with discs that are flatter, and for midrange or approach discs, I like the Pig, Rhyno, Suspect, Breaker, Harp, or Zone because they are very flat, blunt nosed, and handle torque very well. Buzzz is also very comfortable to throw forehand with.

I had access bone growth on my femur joints so they shaved down the bone and clean out the torn cardalidge. I can still use my hips I just know that with backhand you use your hips more so I stick to forward hand; also it is more natural to me growing up being a pitcher in baseball.

I had access bone growth on my femur joints so they shaved down the bone and clean out the torn cardalidge. I can still use my hips I just know that with backhand you use your hips more so I stick to forward hand; also it is more natural to me growing up being a pitcher in baseball.

I am also a former pitcher with some hip issues, plate in one femur head.

I throw mainly FH and favor Apes and Giants for max D drives for control I love Firebirds. Midrange the Drone and Viper are good. The Harp, Zone and Rhyno are great for shorter shots and approaches as well.

Good luck!

Any disc can be thrown FH. If you can grip it well in the FH technique, then you're good to go. Usually flatter discs are more comfortable. The stability doesn't matter. Practice with all of your discs to see which one feels the best. Remember to avoid rolling your wrist over when you throw, as this causes bad FH turnover. Even the most understable discs can be thrown FH if the release angle is clean.

I had the same surgery back in december and I started off with neutral to understable discs when getting back into the game. If you need something o/s find a gl trident at any weight under 170. They have been my go to disc since my surgery.

Any disc can be thrown FH. If you can grip it well in the FH technique, then you're good to go. Usually flatter discs are more comfortable. The stability doesn't matter. Practice with all of your discs to see which one feels the best. Remember to avoid rolling your wrist over when you throw, as this causes bad FH turnover. Even the most understable discs can be thrown FH if the release angle is clean.

This...

...and search is your best friend. Hope you recover well, best wishes.

This...

...and search is your best friend. Hope you recover well, best wishes.

i know i swear to fuh someone posts "suggest a good fh disc" every week.

its your technique not the disc. i can fh every disc in my bag

It's the technique for sure but The disc can help.

flat Gstar teebirds and firebirds have made a huge diff for me

Last edited:
wow seems like this is a common problem for pitchers?
is this your forward leg? the one you put weight on at the end of a pitch?

wow seems like this is a common problem for pitchers?
is this your forward leg? the one you put weight on at the end of a pitch?

Yes, left leg for a right handed pitcher. It's basically your standard degenerating repetitive motion injury that is caused by violently putting all of your body weight one one supporting point.

Since the reprocess ions rarely best during the players active career it's often ignored but it's caused me more long term issues than a laundry list of baseball related injuries.

I personally have trouble throwing the more overstable discs forehand because I can't put as much power into them as I can backhand. As well the wider-rim discs don't suit my forehand grip very well, 2.3cm and above rims the disc has to be understable or relatively close to net zero stability for me like a Katana or Archon.

The PDGA has rim thickness specs on this page, at the bottom where it says PDGA Approved Disc Golf Discs: http://www.pdga.com/rules/technical-standards

As well I find Inbounds' high and low speed stability ratings to be much more accurate than that of the manufacturers, though of course some discs are different through different runs, for example a C-line 2nd run Discmania FD is closer to an FD2 and the current production Discraft Mantis feels like the HSS and LSS ratings are reversed from the 2013 Ace Race version.
http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431

For me I like the following, though I'm pretty weak compared to most people. IMO they're ordered from understable to overstable, and I use some for either slot. For distance I prefer 171-173 and for fairway I prefer 168-170.
Distance: Inertia, Mantis(current production), Beast, Viking, Katana, Archon, Volt, Tesla, Saint, Wraith.
Fairway: Leopard, River, Crave, QJLS, Stalker, Viking, Eagle-L, Saint, Teebird, FD(2nd run).

Latest posts