• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Frustrated with disc going right

jhilton

Bogey Member
I just started playing recently, and while I have come along in distance and ability I am currently having a problem releasing the disc reliably. When I really try to throw a disc hard (say 80% to 100%) it wants to come out at a 15 to 25 degree right angle. As you can imagine, this kills me in tunnel shot situations, which my home course has a lot of. Any help would be great.

Pay attention to your lead/plant foot placement (right leg if you're right handed). Make sure you're not planting off to the right of your line. This can cause your hips and shoulders to open too quickly and lead to releasing off to the right.

Even if you're not planting off to the right, your hips and shoulders can rotate too quickly. Slow down your form in practice and focus on keeping your shoulders mostly closed (facing left of your target) until the hit.

When you say release, are you actually letting go of the disc or is it ripping out of your hand?

It isn't that the disc is turning right (Not an OAT problem) more like releasing late on the line.

some major considerations:
1. not pulling tight to your body what so ever causing a yank
2. weight back throws yank to the right often caused by not getting your weight forward properly or at the right time or not at all for that matter.
3. or lunging forward too much trying to throw harder (too much weight forward)

those are major things to look for and correct since those always seem to be the problem. aiming may also be the culprit as well, but i always look for simple mechanical flaws first.

Another thing to look at is plant vs. pull timing. Your plant foot should touch before you start to pull or else like someone mentioned above you rotate off line and your plant foot is actually to the right. I was doing this (still do at times) and when I would come through and pull the disc would come out and I would be looking straight down the line, just my line had moved to the right.

Another way to put it (how I saw it first) is located in the technique repair on the main section of the site:

Your timing between the footwork and pull-through are off.
Possible Fix:
Timing is very critical to a powerful and accurate throw. Fractions of a second count and these are probably the toughest issues to spot unles your timing is way off. A fluid, well-balanced x-step is necessary. If you are trying to step too fast or too slow, or your steps are too long or too short, it will be impossible to keep your desired disc orientation, release point/angle, and timing.

Throws that grip-lock are often due to an early pull-through. Starting your shoulder rotation and pull through before your plant foot has landed is almost certain to end up grip locking. The rhythm of the throw should flow 1-2-plant-whip. A 1-2-whip/plant or 1-2-whip-plant is going to cause a very bad griplock/anhyzer problem. If you are finding your throws ending up way right you may want to focus on this. If you find yourself pulling early you may have found your culprit. This problem will take a bit of work to fix but be persistant with it and focus on your timing until it becomes automatic. Be very careful that you do not over compensate. Throws that end noticably left are generally due to a late weight transfer and/or late rotation of the shoulders.