• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ft. Lauderdale / Miami trip what to play

Noahlearner

Par Member
I'm coming down to Ft. Lauderdale on 11.16 for a couple days and can fit in 1 maybe 2 rounds. What course is the best to play. Looking for challenge. I appreciate your thoughts in advance.

The South Florida weather will make you feel like you are at the Caribbean :)

However, there are three courses in Broward (AKA Ft. Lauderdale); the courses are:

Tradewinds Course is in Coconut Creek

Easterlin Course is in Oakland Park

Plantation Heritage Course is in Plantation

There are also two courses at Indian Kendall Hammock in SW area (K-1 & K-2) and K-2 is mediocre. Another one is in Hialeah at Earhart Amelia Park; it has 18 hole there and will have to pay $6 to enter the park.

Which of the courses mentioned are the best, most fun, most challenging? I know I'm not exactly going to a disc golf mecca, but wanted to get in a round...

By The way, I too have played z-boaz. Played it last winter...

So Fla is way behind the curve on decent courses.

I've played Tradewinds and Easterlin: both are between decent and good, but neither is "destination" disc golf IMHO. I didn't review them but IIR, I'd say they were somewhere around 2.5 - 3.0, although they're quite different from each other. Tradewinds was "nicer," and Easterlin has some minor navigation issues, but both were OK overall.

FWIW - if anyone else is interested, I thought Okeeheelee was better than either of them, but it's about an hour north.

The one in Plantation Heritage wasn't there when I last visited - so I have no clue what it's really like... read the reviews. I plan on going down around Christmas to play them all and write reviews for all 3.

Last edited:
FWIW - if anyone else is interested, I thought Okeeheelee was better than either of them, but it's about an hour north.

I agree. I played both Tradewinds and Okeeheelee when I was there last winter. Both were fun, but I liked Okeeheelee a little more.

If you had to pick two and wanted to stay close to Ft. Lauderdale, I would pick Tradewinds and Heritage.

As for which course is more fun and challenging, I would say between two courses; Easterlin and Heritage... Tradewinds is mostly open course and most holes are over 300. The Okeeleehee course must have a big arm and it is also mediocre as well.

So Fla is way behind the curve on decent courses.

I've played Tradewinds and Easterlin: both are between decent and good, but neither is "destination" disc golf IMHO. I didn't review them but IIR, I'd say they were somewhere around 2.5 - 3.0, although they're quite different from each other. Tradewinds was "nicer," and Easterlin has some minor navigation issues, but both were OK overall.

The one in Plantation Heritage wasn't there when I last visited - so I have no clue what it's really like... read the reviews. I plan on going down around Christmas to play them all and write reviews for all 3.

Unless you were down here recently all of the parks listed have been improved upon. All four parks listed have a decent amount of water so bring your floaters or be careful the lakes are not particularly shallow.

Course name (description) - Added in the past year

Easterlin (short, technical, heavily wooded) - concrete pads, redesign of holes 1-4, new tee signs

Tradewinds (some decent distance, more open, good variety of shots required) - multiple pin positions on every hole

Okeeheelee (long, mostly open, some decent elevation for Florida) - concrete pads

Heritage (huge variety of shots needed, lots of risk reward, my favorite) - All new course in the process of getting concrete pads and signs, stop in at the office for a map its not the easiest to navigate your first time.

If you want info on leagues or a guide for any of the parks let me know and if I cant make it, I'll find out who can.

Unless you were down here recently all of the parks listed have been improved upon. All four parks listed have a decent amount of water so bring your floaters or be careful the lakes are not particularly shallow.

Course name (description) - Added in the past year

Easterlin (short, technical, heavily wooded) - concrete pads, redesign of holes 1-4, new tee signs

Tradewinds (some decent distance, more open, good variety of shots required) - multiple pin positions on every hole

Okeeheelee (long, mostly open, some decent elevation for Florida) - concrete pads

Heritage (huge variety of shots needed, lots of risk reward, my favorite) - All new course in the process of getting concrete pads and signs, stop in at the office for a map its not the easiest to navigate your first time.

If you want info on leagues or a guide for any of the parks let me know and if I cant make it, I'll find out who can.
Played Okeheelee 2 yrs ago (reviewed it), Tradewinds and Easterlin back in 2008 (no review).
Looking forward to playing/reviewing Tradewinds, Easterlin, and Plantation Heritage when I visit this December - will see if anything's changed.

Too bad the OP didn't open this thread in the Vacations and Road Trips forum. I wonder if a mod can move this thread where it belongs?

Last edited:
Sorry about the poor thread placement. And more importantly, I appreciate all the feedback. Dumb question, Are there gators in all the lakes and ponds at these courses or not a concern at all?

Dumb question, Are there gators in all the lakes and ponds at these courses or not a concern at all?
Not a dumb question, as many people who don't live in areas with certain wildlife don't think about what potential dangers wildlife indiginous to the area they are visiting may present.

Tradewinds: yes, I've seen them
Easterlin: I don't think so, but you should call the partk office and ask to be sure.
Okeeheelee: probably, I'd kind of be surprised if there weren't.
Plantation: dunno for sure, but knowing that area, I'd be surprised if there weren't.

Gators can walk on land, and often travel from one pond to another over a period of time, so they can be in pretty much in any body of water large enough to conceal them.

If you can't see the bottom of the lake/pond for about a 50+ foot radius around where your disc is, I recommend not wading in after your disc. Gators have a pretty fast initial strike (they have to, most of their prey moves a lot quicker than we do). Hands moving in silty water look a lot like the light colored sides/belly of small fish that are about the size of say... the palm of your hand.

I generally considerer hands to be out of production.

Last edited:
Okeeheelee just got all concrete Tee pads a couple of weeks ago(w/ the exception of hole #4), there are also a few new pin placements. Much better now w/ tee pads than the reviews suggest since they were all done pre tee pads. As for the water, it does come into play but not as bad as alot of the reviews suggest in my opinion and I don't have the biggest arm. The elevation at this course is the great considering you don't get alot of elevated holes in South Florida.

Okeeheelee just got all concrete Tee pads a couple of weeks ago(w/ the exception of hole #4), there are also a few new pin placements. Much better now w/ tee pads than the reviews suggest since they were all done pre tee pads. As for the water, it does come into play but not as bad as alot of the reviews suggest in my opinion and I don't have the biggest arm. The elevation at this course is the great considering you don't get alot of elevated holes in South Florida.

If the tees are now concrete :)thmbup:), please update the Course Info page - just click the "Update Course Info" tab ...still shows Tee type = grass.

Based on the currently linked course map, it also appears the holes have been renumbered since I played/reviewed it 2 years ago.

We need a locals familiar with current situation to update the Course Info page.

Last edited:
Huge Shout out to UCF_Knight for playing a round with me this morning at plantation Heritage. Great guy! Thanks for the great round. And to those travelling down here, I thought the course was cool. They do indeed make a great use of terrain, trees, and water. I'd agree in that it isn't destination disc golf, but was a real pleasant surprise. Thanks again!

Another reminder of how solid the dgcr community is.

Latest posts