• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Funniest/weirdest thing you've seen on the course

I was out practicing late one afternoon and this pit bull went and snagged one of my discs. I caught up with the dog and its owner and we both tried to get the disc away but no luck. Then he said, "Why not distract the dog with another disc and when he lets go of this one, pull them both away." Like an idiot, I agreed, and dangled another disc in front of the dog.

Half a second later, the dog let go of the first disc and CHOMPED down on the second one. So finally the guy said he'd pay me for the two ruined discs and we traded names and addresses and so forth.

Weeks later with no payment, I ran into the same guy again. He apologized and cut me a check right then on the spot for the full amount. We got to talking and it turned out that he was the webmaster for an adult web site - that's how he makes his living - and he asked me if I wanted to invest.

I told him "No thanks - your dog has brought enough grief into my life so far and I don't need any more."

The truly weird thing was that after all that, the check cleared :)

We came up over the hill on 11 today at Lenora and there was a fat chick boot camp of some sorts going on behind 12s tee. As we approach the tee the guy blows his whistle and makes the fat women run up the hill to 12s basket and back...totally ignoring our presence.

The instructor proceeded to stand in front of the tee pad about 30' away and totally ignored us. My friend tee'd off right over his head.

Later on, when we rounded back around they were still there and were half blocking the fairway of 17. I teed off and yelled "fore" and landed within about 8' of a woman about the size of Nell Carter in her prime...she turned around and gave me the stink-eye, which I shrugged.

I then had to take my lie behind her and proceeded to putt over her...I landed about 4' from the basket.

I don't like being so blatantly rude but we heard people yell fore several times during our round so these people just ignored the fact that they were on a golf course.

The guys behind us got even closer than I did...we all laughed about it at the end.

The messed up part is there are fields all over the park that have no other activities in them.

Would you work out in the middle of a football field during a game? It's just damn stupid.

We came up over the hill on 11 today at Lenora and there was a fat chick boot camp of some sorts going on behind 12s tee. As we approach the tee the guy blows his whistle and makes the fat women run up the hill to 12s basket and back...totally ignoring our presence.

The instructor proceeded to stand in front of the tee pad about 30' away and totally ignored us. My friend tee'd off right over his head.

Later on, when we rounded back around they were still there and were half blocking the fairway of 17. I teed off and yelled "fore" and landed within about 8' of a woman about the size of Nell Carter in her prime...she turned around and gave me the stink-eye, which I shrugged.

I then had to take my lie behind her and proceeded to putt over her...I landed about 4' from the basket.

I don't like being so blatantly rude but we heard people yell fore several times during our round so these people just ignored the fact that they were on a golf course.

The guys behind us got even closer than I did...we all laughed about it at the end.

The messed up part is there are fields all over the park that have no other activities in them.

Would you work out in the middle of a football field during a game? It's just damn stupid.

Oh man, the mental image cracked me up, and the Nell Carter comment, put me on the floor.

I was out there that day as well... It was a 'sight' to behold. It at least added a new level of difficulty to Lenora that is sometimes missing on those open holes.

Yes...it would take 50 years for a tree to grow that big...

I wrote a letter to the county about it...the damn side activities are just rampant in that area of the park now.

Hopefully my point will be made when I said "If I went out on a baseball field during a game and started doing push-ups I would be carted away in a police car."

I was at Terramont Park in The Woodlands, TX . Now , what you need to know about this course , is it plays up and down a large hill, and the hill is very popular with people. This day, there was some kind of Cub Scout thing going on, and some of the Scouts were building what looked like a Tepee right in middle of the #7 fairway. Also, some kinds were pushing a "Big Wheels" up the hill right by the #7 basket, and were riding it down the hill.

We gave up and went down the road to another course.

Litter or cool?

Saw this on a trail leading to a tee yesterday at Hobson Grove dgc in Bowling Green. Kinda cool but it is still litter.

Attachments

• HPIM8132.jpg
    HPIM8132.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 256
Yes...it would take 50 years for a tree to grow that big...

I wrote a letter to the county about it...the damn side activities are just rampant in that area of the park now.

Hopefully my point will be made when I said "If I went out on a baseball field during a game and started doing push-ups I would be carted away in a police car."

Brings new meaning to the term "elevation changes".

It wouldn't be litter if you incorporated them into the path...like pressed into concrete or something.

Here's another one. #18 at Franklin-Simpson in Ky. Kids playing right in front of the tee and if you look in hte pic, Grandma is sitting in a chair right at the basket. She saw me there. So I stood there for a bit, took a couple pics. She still didn't move. I walked up to the basket and let her know she was sitting in the middle of the 18th hole. I was nice, she was nice, she moved. I went back and teed off. Grandma and the kids thought it was pretty cool and looked like fun. We talked for a bit and I think we may have a few new golfers.

Attachments

• fnk-son.jpg
    fnk-son.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 223
That is cool, I know a lot of it is ignorance because it is such an underground sport. BUT, when several groups of people walk through and do the same activity you just witnessed, common logic might just tell you that you are in the middle of something...

I have found that most people are like the ones you described, or they understand their risks of playing there and are ok with it...it is the ones that are oblivious to anything but what THEY are doing and you are interfering with them because they were there first...well...FORE!

Wow, the parks director wrote me back and asked when it happened and said she has already passed the information on...it is real nice to actually be heard...don't know whether it will change anything but at least she made the effort to respond...way better than most county folk.

Here's another one. #18 at Franklin-Simpson in Ky. Kids playing right in front of the tee and if you look in hte pic, Grandma is sitting in a chair right at the basket. She saw me there. So I stood there for a bit, took a couple pics. She still didn't move. I walked up to the basket and let her know she was sitting in the middle of the 18th hole. I was nice, she was nice, she moved. I went back and teed off. Grandma and the kids thought it was pretty cool and looked like fun. We talked for a bit and I think we may have a few new golfers.
Looks like a Granny Mandie to me.

i've seen this at a number of courses, i don't really mind it.

I agree, if it's a 'thing' in one specific place at the course, and not something that's going to blow away into the woods, I don't really see it as litter. At Morley Field in San Diego, there used to be a tree full of pairs of shoes (there were literally hundreds of pairs of shoes hanging from the branches), and nobody I ever talked to saw that as litter at all.

Tee ball practice on the fairway when a perfectly good baseball diamond is less than 300 feet away...

I agree, if it's a 'thing' in one specific place at the course, and not something that's going to blow away into the woods, I don't really see it as litter. At Morley Field in San Diego, there used to be a tree full of pairs of shoes (there were literally hundreds of pairs of shoes hanging from the branches), and nobody I ever talked to saw that as litter at all.

that's awesome, that reminds me of bra/panty trees at ski resorts

Hole 12 in North Asheboro (or Norte de Asheboro as I call it) runs right by a baseball field, and wouldn't you know it, a little league game was going on. Another team decided to warm up on 12's fairway, with me and 2 of my buddies standing at the tee looking on in disbelief. Team's coach decides to plop down all the team's gear literally smack in the middle of the fairway and he parks his ass in a chair as well. We yell out and he waves at us and goes on looking at a clipboard or something. So we tee off and of course my buddy who might be 140 lbs soaking wet sends a disc straight at his head. We alert him, he looks up and casually moves his head out of the way. When we get to his lie the coach says "I thought you and me were gonna have some words there, bubba." (FYI my friend's name's not Bubba). I think coach was half joking but it pissed my buddy off regardless.

Lately we have been seeing hundreds of illegal aliens playing soccer at our course.

Literally hundreds.

No habla engles is all they seem to know how to say.

Time to call the INS?

How do dozens of illegals all have vehicles and organize a soccer league in an AMERICAN park?
I wonder how many of them pay taxes? One I spoke to claimed they were mostly contractors and construction workers.

Last edited: