• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Future Indoor/Calm Winds Distance Record Disc

bobmcnelly

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
So consider what just happened with the distance record, and all the talk of an indoor or limited wind event, it seems inevitable that there will be some kind of new distance record event.
So lets just assume for argument that they use an indoor setting,(something like a giant warehouse) what disc would set the record? I can't imagine it would be something anywhere near the weight of the current record setting discs. Maybe setting new records with different, more "realistic" discs could even help sales.

But anyway, what discs do you think would break the indoor record? I'm gonna go with Simon breaking it with a super beat PD2. Maybe 165? Not sure what weights he usually throws.

I started this in another thread to get away from all the nonsense talk about the other records. So let's try to not start that here.

Why not use the same disc that broke the outdoor record?

Dave and Simon both said they would never use those exact discs in regular conditions. Simon said they were essentially throwing huge sky rollers and just praying the wind took it enough to actually get a flight out of it. No way they do that in a controlled setting.

Why not use the same disc that broke the outdoor record?

The insane tailwinds they were throwing in make the discs much more stable. So in regular conditions that would have to switch to a more stable disc without the aid or the wind.

The idea of taking our sport indoors sounds really sad to me...

Despite the crazy conditions of this years event it is a hell of lot more entertaining then looking at blinding lights, steel walls, etc..

I totally think some wind restrictions need to be put in place. But frankly, throwing with the wind is how its meant to be done son.

Last edited:
Why not just have two separate records? Wind aided and non wind aided?

But frankly, throwing with the wind is how its meant to be done son.

Not if you're trying to find the person that can throw a disc the furthest. An indoor controlled setting is the only way to set the record straight and even Simon and David agree. They seemed to feel a little silly breaking the record by 200ft in their latest video talking about the records set.

Inside where there is no added wind the speed of the disc is most crucial as any disc will fall at the same speed so a faster and more stable* disc is what I would choose for a indoor distance throw. A overstable disc with higher glide would also be preferable. The weight of the discs would still be at around 150-160g as less heavy discs need less energy to reach optimum speed. For me my discs stay in the air for about lets say 7 seconds before they touchdown and indoors those ~7 seconds need to consist of highspeed discflight and glide.
Indoors I'd throw a Lat 64 Missilen 169g (speed) or a Westside World also 169g (speed, glide & slightly overstable).

(than a 150g Blizzard Boss)*

You would still want to us a stable/us lightweight disc. The thing that would change is the type of throw; the huge sky anny would absolutely be out of the question.

Place needs to still be outside (b/c we play disc golf outside and to allow for high throws that inside might restrict) but at sea level or close and at a ball golf driving range or wherever they hold the long drive competitions. Also, bring it somewhere without the crazy wind speeds (it is just a joke at this point).

Disc used, beat in PD2, Destroyer, Boss, Cannon, World, etc. It needs to be a disc that started out stable with lots of fade, but has lost some of the stability and most of the fade.

Latest posts