• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Ninja

Not yet released.
Dave M will tell you "it is like ________(insert popular disc name) but longer, straighter, and easier to throw."
You'll have to wait until they come out to see how they really fly.

This disc is going to be FAST FAST FAST. And GREAT for the player who throws 250-350ft. I tossed it this weekend in STL and I loved it. Its still no where near ready for production. Dave is finishing up a few more things to this disc. he is talking about putting a savage top on it instead of whats on there now which will make it a little more stable but not much. Expect this thing to be released by the end of the summer if everything goes correctly. Maybe sooner if he can get the mold done correctly. Everyone needs to be on the look out for this disc cause its going to change the game.

From what I read on the blog he is trying to make it wizard like in that the weight will be in the rim but the thin flightplate and long wing are causing all sorts of hell.

it will be overstable for the weaker arms, and act similar to a boss, for stronger arms I would say it will act more like a Nuke/Katana mix. Pretty much think faster Wraith with a little less stability. They are going to be an Illegal disc as the wing is too wide for PDGA specs. The wing does feel really large when gripping it, I wasn't comfortable with it. He hasnt had a consistent run yet because the flight plate is super thin, which I think he is planning on making it thicker to make it mold more consistently.

This disc is going to be FAST FAST FAST. And GREAT for the player who throws 250-350ft. I tossed it this weekend in STL and I loved it. Its still no where near ready for production. Dave is finishing up a few more things to this disc. he is talking about putting a savage top on it instead of whats on there now which will make it a little more stable but not much. Expect this thing to be released by the end of the summer if everything goes correctly. Maybe sooner if he can get the mold done correctly. Everyone needs to be on the look out for this disc cause its going to change the game.
Good Lord, that's a lot of hype. It kinda reminds me of when the Inferno came out. You remember the Inferno, right? Super fast, great for low power players to throw far, gonna revolutionize the game...

Well its going to change the game just not in pdga sanctioned tourneys as it will not meet the pdga specs as the rim thickness is going to be 2.668 and legal is 2.599
But this thing is still going to be one of those discs that people are still going to want to throw. There are actually quite a few tourneys that arent sanctioned anymore.

Well its going to change the game just not in pdga sanctioned tourneys as it will not meet the pdga specs as the rim thickness is going to be 2.668 and legal is 2.599
But this thing is still going to be one of those discs that people are still going to want to throw. There are actually quite a few tourneys that arent sanctioned anymore.
Yeah, I run a lot of unsanctioned events. I still don't allow illegal discs. It's too much hassle. If I let somebody throw a Ninja, what's to stop a guy from throwing an Aerobie ring and making a complete mockery of my event? So I stick with PDGA approved discs. I'm sure most other organizers who run unsanctioned events will as well. I have to draw the line someplace, might as well let the PDGA do it for me.

Its not going to be legal?

Well; they are working on a faile project then IMO because I dont play any sanctioned event but in case I ever decide to, Im not going to get used to something I cant use when I would need it most. I think the majority might feel the same way. Maybe I should do a poll.

its 2.8cm bud, he made it even wider

They have this poster that is in stores around here that has Nikko on the top of it with his arms out looking like Jesus or something. The poster lists the Ninja and says "All discs are PDGA approved" right on top. Oops. So much for truth in advertising.

well to be fair he finally got the new mold of the warrior submitted and approved

So my 180 weight is approved officially now? Not that I would use it because it doesnt quite cover the turnover shots my Core does; it just fades more.

That's cool. I can barely get a power grip on a Boss, so I doubt I could even hold a Ninja for a backhand. It gives me a really good reason to skip it.

yea the boss/katana range is about my upper limit for rims, the Ninja felt like i was straining to get a decent grip on it

To be fair, what I think they are doing here is targeting golfers that don't play in events. That would be sanctioned or non sanctioned. Think of it this way. You play disc golf but never intend to play in a league or tournament. You completely buy the "faster is better" hype and ignore all the warnings from people like garublador warning against throwing discs too fast for you. Here comes the Ninja. Innova has already said many times that it is not going to make illegal discs, so now you have the fastest disc around and Innova can't touch it with a 10' pole. You end up making a super-duper fast disc that you of course say is easy for low power players to throw and sell them to those guys. From a business point of view it's an idea with some merit. There are a lot more players like I'm describing than there are players who play in events, so you can't argue that there is no market for it.

The only thing I would have a problem with is anybody blowing smoke up my skirt that this is going to somehow "revolutionize" the sport. I don't see it. Illegal discs have been around for a long time. Guys have been throwing Aerobie rings in rec rounds for years. However, the vast majority of rec players don't use illegal discs. Most people get the basic concept of cheating. Most players will understand that they are using something outside the rules and their resulting scores are fubar. I don't think this will be any different.

I agree, his comment was that he would make more money on the disc releasing it as an illegal disc

I agree, his comment was that he would make more money on the disc releasing it as an illegal disc
Which is a theory he has batted around quite a bit since the Tech Standards were revised. Steve Pearson has a couple of Illegal drivers on the market, and Dave probably knows how well those are selling. It was clear from his posts that Dave was not in favor of a rim cap, and this is the kind of driver he wants to make. He wants to make it and he thinks there is a market for it, so from that respect it seems like a win/win.

The significance is that GDS is perceived by most as one of the bigger disc golf companies. Other than the Quest drivers, it will be the first time that a major player in disc golf has released an illegal disc since Jan Sobel released the Dimple. Since Quest has always been more of an "outsider" company, it's really the first time that an established disc golf company has deliberately thumbed its nose at the PDGA Tech Standards. If the Ninja sells like Dave expects and other companies follow his lead, then things get interesting. It's a situation worth watching.

So.....how about the disc's flight characteristics from rumors or those who have actually thrown a prototype? Enough already about illegal discs, even if this turns out to be one.

So.....how about the disc's flight characteristics from rumors or those who have actually thrown a prototype?
Cliff notes.

Not yet released.
Dave M will tell you "it is like ________(insert popular disc name) but longer, straighter, and easier to throw."
You'll have to wait until they come out to see how they really fly.

This disc is going to be FAST FAST FAST. And GREAT for the player who throws 250-350ft. I tossed it this weekend in STL and I loved it.

it will be overstable for the weaker arms, and act similar to a boss, for stronger arms I would say it will act more like a Nuke/Katana mix. Pretty much think faster Wraith with a little less stability.
There were some prototypes at the St. Louis Open and LSDiscs has had some prototypes at other events. The flight plates are not coming out correctly yet, so it's hard to tell much from them. It's gonna be fast, that's about all you can say for 100% sure.