• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Throwers: Need to Cross Reference

Well the reason you're not getting those answers is because people are saying the discs are inconsistent. I have to say in gateway's favor though - I have an Element and Warrior, that the rims are comfortable to grip. They sort of have this ")" shape on the inside (if that's the right edge of the disc) so your finger fits comfortably in there.

I don't really dig the way they fly though, so I may be putting them in the marketplace soon. My Warrior is basically a faster wasp with less glide and my Element is plain squirrely. Neither is going to earn a spot in my bag for mids.

I love the Voodoo and Wizard - I just got back from some light misty-rain practice and my SS Voodoo actually got tackier.

I dont think I have thrown a disc from them I thought sucked, but I just havent seen one outside of putters to where it had lasting appeal to me.

Warriors are nice enough, but nothing I felt I really needed.
Apache Flies ok, but if I was looking for something like that, Id probaly opt for a PD, Viking or something along those lines.

Blaze is kind of cool; almost like a short Pred, but I havent seen a need for it.

Oh, wait. There is one I thought sucked. The Ninja.

I have S Voodoos....same thing. They are excellent all-weather putters.

My 3 Voodoos are all on the stiffest end of their respective "levels" - my two S feel like M's and my SS feels like an S.

Though I just read the article on gateways website talking about how there's actually 10 stages of stiffness but only 4 different stamps. So it's not actually inconsistency on their part - it's on purpose! Their idea is that golfers can find the exact amount of stiff/soft that they want in a putter.

Enjoy.

If all you want to do is try some gateway plastic (which I do suggest - they're all pretty different from the regular innova/discraft) then check out the xout packs on ebay. If you pay the day you win the auction, they'll send you an extra disc or two. (Best deal is to buy a 3pack, and end up with 4 discs for $25) Plus, you can always unload them in the marketplace here, people love their wizards and voodoos.
GatewayEbayStore

My 3 Voodoos are all on the stiffest end of their respective "levels" - my two S feel like M's and my SS feels like an S.

Though I just read the article on gateways website talking about how there's actually 10 stages of stiffness but only 4 different stamps. So it's not actually inconsistency on their part - it's on purpose! Their idea is that golfers can find the exact amount of stiff/soft that they want in a putter.

Enjoy.
That's spin. They say they have 10 stages of stiffness becasue they can't run the same stiffness consistently. Basically they are trying to take a major negative (the fact that you have no idea what you are going to get when you order and have to search through stacks of discs looking for what you want because "medium" doesn't always mean "medium") and tell you it is on purpose and it's a good thing. It basically allows them to abandon any sort of quality control and sell anything that rolls out of the machine no matter what it feels like.

If the "10 stages of stiffness" was real, they would be labeled so if I like a 7, I could call Marshall Street and ask for a 7. They are not labeled, and telling Marshall Street I want a 7 doesn't really tell them anything.

...and Three Putt pwns Gateway.

It's been a good day.

^^^cool article.

I found this part very interesting:

"The one GREAT thing about dry blending our batches as opposed to having a master batch produced for us for each flex is the fact a dry blended match allows the softest of the materials to migrate to the surface of the part. In all 4 flexibilities, the softest material will migrate to the surface making for soft, tacky, grippy discs even if they are not that flexible. The Super-Stupid-Soft has no PP added and a rubber that is less than 70 a shore which not only makes it softer in the surface but the most flexible as well."

They gave out the secret to the killer grip they have.

That's spin. They say they have 10 stages of stiffness becasue they can't run the same stiffness consistently. Basically they are trying to take a major negative (the fact that you have no idea what you are going to get when you order and have to search through stacks of discs looking for what you want because "medium" doesn't always mean "medium") and tell you it is on purpose and it's a good thing. It basically allows them to abandon any sort of quality control and sell anything that rolls out of the machine no matter what it feels like.

If the "10 stages of stiffness" was real, they would be labeled so if I like a 7, I could call Marshall Street and ask for a 7. They are not labeled, and telling Marshall Street I want a 7 doesn't really tell them anything.

Or its not.

When I read the article I felt like that could be the case (for the same reason you listed, people knowing what number they want specifically) - but I didn't want to risk putting my foot in my mouth if it was true.

The one thing in that article that seems to ring true though - is no matter what stiffness, their putters have good grip. Even the slickest Voodoo I have gets nice and tacky with a bit of wetness applied to the disc. Maybe I'm being fooled here too though?

That's spin.

I can't believe that its actually possible they produce such a wide variety of plastic just because they're inconsistent. They have a method to the madness and its clear that they have the intent to keep runs different.

When I read the article I felt like that could be the case (for the same reason you listed, people knowing what number they want specifically) - but I didn't want to risk putting my foot in my mouth if it was true.

The one thing in that article that seems to ring true though - is no matter what stiffness, their putters have good grip. Even the slickest Voodoo I have gets nice and tacky with a bit of wetness applied to the disc. Maybe I'm being fooled here too though?
I've had Firm Wizards that felt like Corelle dinnerware and had absolutely no grip to them whatsoever.

useful discs

I use a glow sabre that I throw consistently 320 ft RHBH. When thrown 6 to 8 feet off the ground it will only fade 8 ft to the left. In comparison I tried a Surge last week and thrown the same way it went 360ft with the same 8 ft fade.

I found the buzz to be similar to the element but I prefer the element's grip and reliability. I don't throw this disc much anymore since I discovered the innova gazelle was more versatile.(with a little snap it will turn right but otherwise it's dead straight 280 to 300ft with a 5ft left fade at the end.)
I throw an old apache about 10 ft off the ground when i need 320 ft with a 25 or 30ft left turn at the last 10% of the distance. It reminds me of the innova starfire but the apache is more consistent and gives me 20 ft more.

i have a super soft wizard putter that sticks to the chains but also to your hand so i can't throw it consistently yet.

hope this was useful

I agree. I would only add that the spirit and predator would be similar but the spirit is a lot more overstable.
FYP
I personally like assassin and blaze...but they aren't like any of those.
I would say the assassin could be in the same vein as a Katana only slower maybe in between the Avengers and katana. Like a truly fast sidewinder, instead of a less stable boss

I use a glow sabre that I throw consistently 320 ft RHBH. When thrown 6 to 8 feet off the ground it will only fade 8 ft to the left. In comparison I tried a Surge last week and thrown the same way it went 360ft with the same 8 ft fade.

I found the buzz to be similar to the element but I prefer the element's grip and reliability. I don't throw this disc much anymore since I discovered the innova gazelle was more versatile.(with a little snap it will turn right but otherwise it's dead straight 280 to 300ft with a 5ft left fade at the end.)
I throw an old apache about 10 ft off the ground when i need 320 ft with a 25 or 30ft left turn at the last 10% of the distance. It reminds me of the innova starfire but the apache is more consistent and gives me 20 ft more.

i have a super soft wizard putter that sticks to the chains but also to your hand so i can't throw it consistently yet.

hope this was useful

Very helpful thanks and thanks to all for expounding on your thoughts.

So is the Surge the farthest disc in your bag or can you throw something else further?

Thanks also for the link to eBay auctions. I wonder if I buy 4 @$30 if the odds are good they'll send two discs when I pay.

I really didn't want to just try the putters though that's what is recommended most of the time.

Once again thank you all.:thmbup:

The Assassin was the first and only disc that I threw in the woods and didn't even bother to look for it! The rim was so shallow and felt almost as uncomfortable as a flick for my big paws. Agree with the turtle shell comment that is a perfect description. Throw Wizards and love them, but i've never found the two of the same wizard which is good and bad I guess. Like having an overstable pig of one and then a more understable one. Definatly a crap shoot.

Very helpful thanks and thanks to all for expounding on your thoughts.

So is the Surge the farthest disc in your bag or can you throw something else further?

Thanks also for the link to eBay auctions. I wonder if I buy 4 @$30 if the odds are good they'll send two discs when I pay.

I really didn't want to just try the putters though that's what is recommended most of the time.

Once again thank you all.:thmbup:

The Surge probably goes about the same distance as my Innova Valkerie but the Surge has that reliable flight path. I throw my Valkerie with a lot of snap that makes it jump right and keep drifting that way for most of its flight but then comes back a bit at the end. I don't know if it's me or the disc but it goes as far or farther than the surge but it'll end up somewhere between 10 to 40 ft right of where i was aiming. I use it on holes where i need to curve right with distance. It's not accurate but it fulfills a need.

I tried the Gateway discs. Did not like them or just couldnt throw them. The Apache was just like throwing a brick, the plastic just felt like soft rubber. Voodoo was too stiff and overstable. The Diablo was ok but like the previous post it changed the more it was used. The discs very inconsistent.

Latest posts