• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting back into the game

Nasty Nate

Double Eagle Member
I felt like posting a little blurb about disc golf and my arduous journey to the present. Basically I'm having to learn how to throw all over again and I'm going to talk about it. We can commiserate and talk about having to change your game due to your own physical limitations.

I'll try to keep it concise (although sorry it is kind of long). I'm going to talk about myself, which I hate, but I need to talk about what I've been through and how it has affected my disc golf.

As some of you may or may not know, I was in a bad car crash last year that resulted in numerous trips to the hospital. It was literally the worst experience of my life. Here is the gist of what happened, to make a long story short. I was on the freeway going to my final for a stained glass class at OSU and I was cut off by a semitruck and had to slam on my brakes, which caused me to fishtail off the freeway and down the side of the road into a huge log at the bottom of the ditch. I didn't know it immediately but I had to go to the hospital. (Oh yea also I got ticketed by the state trooper for crashing my car)

They told me that the seat belt had somehow lacerated my small intestine and I would need immediate surgery to cut it/suture it because if you don't get that fixed then your gut bacteria could literally kill you. Not good, especially because I was very sick as a newborn and had much of my large intestine removed. This was my worst nightmare realized, having my belly cut open again. So they operated on me the Monday of finals week, I had to miss all of my exams and shack up in the hospital. I'll spare the discomforting stories of my hospital stay in a shared room in the trauma ward. Let's just say it was terrible.

Fast-forward to whenever I was home... I woke up one night to find that my incision was infected and leaking nastiness out of my body. After violently vomiting for a while I went back to the ER. They said my incision was infected and I'd have to take care of it. Oh also that I'd need to have an open hole in my body (that I could see inside) so it could drain. Horrifying. So I dealt with that... but then I got another infection.

I can't recall everything exactly because I got 4 infections but at that time I think I also had an infection in my intestine which they treated with antibiotics. Fine. Get that **** out of the way and heal up. But I still had this pain in my side... Eventually I got another CT scan and the doctor told me I had an infection in my side that was bigger than a golf ball. I then had the pleasure of getting a drain bag installed in my body. I had some tubing running right in there that I had to flush out daily with sodium chloride as well as change the bandage dressing.

Got that out of the way but I was still having problems. Constant pain. Like I said, I don't recall everything exactly (I was on a lot of painkillers and antibiotics) but after another CT scan the doctor finally determined that my colon was perforated and leaking all kinds of nasty stuff in my body, which is what was causing all of my infections. They would have to go back in and cut it out. This was the worst news I've ever received. I cannot tell you how upset I was knowing I would have to get cut open again and have more of my insides removed.

So I had surgery a second time for the same problem... they removed more of my colon (which I didn't have much of) and some of my small intestine. This time they left my whole incision open so it didn't get infected and I had to dress the wound twice a day. Oh yea, my whole belly was cut open and I got to look at it every day and stuff bandages in there so it cleaned out all the crap. It was hell. I still hate thinking about it. I hate my belly and how oddly shaped it is. My worst fear had been realized twice now. I am not exaggerating when I say this was the worst experience of my life. I was in constant pain for ~8 months.

That's the basic story of my road to hell and back. Now to talk about disc golf.

As you can imagine, I am very weak after all this. I was not supposed to lift anything over 10 pounds for the longest time. I still think I strained myself when I shouldn't have, and I keep thinking my belly would have healed a little more evenly. Anyway, I can't throw like I used to. I feel completely lost. I was afraid to throw with any power for the longest time.

Do I just accept that I am handicapped at disc golf? I feel like I'll be back into form once I can get in shape and work on some things, but I don't know if I'll ever be back to 100%. I've been trying to figure out if I should drop some drivers for slower ones, or at least lighter, easier to chuck discs. I still experience discomfort if I strain myself. It really sucks not being able to do the things you once did.

I'd just like to have better drives for my weak arm. My mids go about as far as my drivers right now. I need to rework my whole form and figure out what works. I thought we could commiserate about disc golf limitations and how you approach them. I'm glad I can still play guitar because if I lost that ability then I'd probably just stick my head in the oven.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read my ridiculous DG post. I've just been through a lot this past year and it really changed how I play my favorite outdoor game. Hoping to some day throw the shots that I want and maybe look good while doing it :p.

Thats a really bad story to hear. I am really sorry for you. And it is always frustrating what can happen because there is just a small moment (a fracture of your lifetime) of failure (car crash).

As for any advice...you might try start with throwing forehand more than backhand and see if that can help you get back into the game. That was what I have done after I struggled with pain and the lack of getting my backhand to work when I started DG. And now I am a Sidearm player most of the time and really enjoy that, because if you can throw a forehand/sidearm very accurate it will help your game immensively (is this word available in english language? Sorry I am from germany ;) ).

Even though my accident was nowhere near as bad as yours, I know the feeling. I was run over by a car on my bike and had ribs broken and contusions on the ribs aswell. Hurt as hell and took 3 months to heal back up.

I went from throwing daily for 5 years to not being able to throw at all for 3-4 months. And even after that I had pain in the ribcage and that really got me mentally. I didnt dare to throw 100% any more or to swing trough or to put any tear onto my ribcage.

Anyway, what can I say, time heals all wounds. It really took months of not having pain any more to slowly build up the trust again. It is important to first regenerate so you have a solid base to build up trust. I got closer and closer to how it used to feel and over time, the fear went away. But it took me like half a year of regenerating and then rebuilding for a relatively small injury.

Myself, I love posts like yours. It's a great Sunday morning reminder that my mildly torn meniscus is not the major problem I went to bed thinking it was. (Of course, I'm the kind of person who's cheered up by walking the aisles of the drugstore, seeing treatments for issues I don't have, and being grateful).

You might consider very light discs---150 class or superlight blizzard. They're finicky, but travel further with much less force. In fact, those 138g blizzard drivers require you to throw with little force, otherwise they flip and crash.

You will get back to 100%, it'll just be the new 100%.

My mids go almost as far as my drivers too.Trouble is, I've been playing for three years and have not gone through any sort of physical problems akin to yours. But I am old, so that's my excuse.

That's a terrible thing that happened to you.

I hope that in time your able to heal as completely as possible and your mind is at peace with it.

If you don't already, learn to throw FH. You can get a pretty good rip without causing much torque to your midsection. For backhand you may have to adjust your pull until you can use your core again. For that a lighter driver may help.

Probably shouldn't have opened this thread right before breakfast.

Best of luck on your road to recovery. You got this!

As we age we see diminishing abilities in many of our physical pursuits, but it sneaks up on us and cushions the decline over time and allows some built-in acceptance. An injury or trauma happens in an instant and takes it all away immediately, and comes with a big helping of despair. Unfortunately, recovery is a long and tedious process, and in many ways is more mental than physical.

I won't go into my own injury as you know the details already, but I will say that I can empathize with the concerns you have about your road back and future abilities. I've had many moments of fear when I thought I'd never be able to do certain things again, and I'm often adjusting my expectations.

This will sound cliché, but it's helped me to focus on the things I can do rather than what I can't, though it's not always easy. And I've tried to realize my good fortune, insomuch as I have hope to recover to a certain point of ability whereas others might not and are much worse off than I.

The other thing that has helped a lot is setting and meeting smaller goals. If my PT wanted 5 degrees ROM improvement in a week, I worked like hell for 7. If he wanted me doing 20 reps at 4 pounds, I worked like hell for 23. I had a drink to celebrate when I could hang a shirt up in my closet with my right arm again. I'm still not back to where I was. I'm still weak and lack a lot of endurance, but there are almost daily reminders and indicators of improvement if you look for them. All the small victories should be your focus because they all add up over time to meet your bigger goals. Be short-sighted for now and you'll be amazed at the progress you make when you occasionally step back and view the journey through a longer lens.

It didn't kill you. It set you back and allowed you the opportunity to triumph. Find that place in you that's too stubborn to give in and lose.

Myself, I love posts like yours. It's a great Sunday morning reminder that my mildly torn meniscus is not the major problem I went to bed thinking it was. (Of course, I'm the kind of person who's cheered up by walking the aisles of the drugstore, seeing treatments for issues I don't have, and being grateful).

You might consider very light discs---150 class or superlight blizzard. They're finicky, but travel further with much less force. In fact, those 138g blizzard drivers require you to throw with little force, otherwise they flip and crash.
Yea, being in the trauma ward just let me realized that I didn't have it so bad and that there were a lot more people who had it much worse than I. It really changes your perspective on things. What I went through was a walk in the park compared to others. This one guy who shared a room with me had fallen two stories at a construction site and broke his back among other things.

Even though my accident was nowhere near as bad as yours, I know the feeling. I was run over by a car on my bike and had ribs broken and contusions on the ribs aswell. Hurt as hell and took 3 months to heal back up.

I went from throwing daily for 5 years to not being able to throw at all for 3-4 months. And even after that I had pain in the ribcage and that really got me mentally. I didnt dare to throw 100% any more or to swing trough or to put any tear onto my ribcage.

Anyway, what can I say, time heals all wounds. It really took months of not having pain any more to slowly build up the trust again. It is important to first regenerate so you have a solid base to build up trust. I got closer and closer to how it used to feel and over time, the fear went away. But it took me like half a year of regenerating and then rebuilding for a relatively small injury.
Dang dude, sorry to hear that. That sounds really awful. I hope you are doing better! I've just been trying to take it one day at a time. It's all you can really do in that situation.

Probably shouldn't have opened this thread right before breakfast.

Best of luck on your road to recovery. You got this!
Haha yea sorry, I should have put a disclaimer for gross medical stuff. Happy Father's day! :gross:

BrokenShoulder, I have read some things about your journey on here. I also hope that you are doing better! I know it can't be easy. I'm right there with you, as soon as I could I had a tasty beer for a reward. I appreciate your words! Very inspirational.

Thanks for the support, everyone! It's great to talk to others about adversities we've all had to overcome. I think talking about it helps recovery. I really appreciate all of your guys's input! It means a lot to me to be able to relate. I'm just grateful every day for what I have. It's good to know that there are cool disc golfers out there! If you're ever in Columbus and want to throw, I'm always down to chuck some plastic :hfive:

I was hit by a drunk in a truck, pain in the neck/spine for life. Backhands hurt, forehands don't.
Buuuut I'm so certain that I can still theoretically give more raw power than some pros, so easing off on power and working on efficient form for backhand has been less painful for same distances.

I'd say start with standing forehands. Getting good there means two forehanded driver discs can cover the same distance as a drive and an upshot.

Last edited:
They told me that the seat belt had somehow lacerated my small intestine and I would need immediate surgery to cut it/suture it because if you don't get that fixed then your gut bacteria could literally kill you.

You are fortunate. A woman in my church was hit head on, and her seatbelt cut her almost in two. She did not survive her injuries.

Good luck in your return to DG.

You are fortunate. A woman in my church was hit head on, and her seatbelt cut her almost in two. She did not survive her injuries.

Good luck in your return to DG.
Jesus, that sounds horrible. I know I am fortunate, things could always be a lot worse.

Thanks for the support. I was working on my throws earlier today and I think I'm figuring things out a little bit. It was really windy today so it wasn't the easiest of conditions. Also hot. I didn't think Ohio got this hot in June.

To the OP, I read your post with great interest, and my main comment is that as much as you apparently love the game, I am sure that you will adjust and return as close to your original level of play as humanly possible.

My own situation pales in comparison to yours, and I hesitate to even talk about it. First of all, I didn't take up disc golf until I was 68 years old, so my potential level of playing the game is going to be significantly limited. Secondly, for some reason about every 4-5 years my back will go out on me. I've had all the x-rays, MRI's etc. done and I am told that it is simply muscle spasms. Sounds simple enough, but when it happens it is all I can do to simply get out of a chair, let alone pull my socks on, tie my shoe laces etc. I have been given exercises to do, and it just takes time to work through it, sometimes weeks. Sometimes it only partially goes out, and other times it goes completely out and seems like I will never get over it. I know that it would help if I would religiously do my exercises everyday, but you know how it is, when you are feeling good, you don't even think about it. Hope to hear reports of your game and condition improving for you.

Hey Nate, glad to get an update since talking last year and hear you are actually throwing! Are you doing any PT and cleared to play by the quacks?

Good to hear you're on the road to recovery!! As I'm sure you already know, patience will be your best friend, as well as your worst enemy. :p

I didn't see any mention of physical therapy... If you're not already doing PT, I would HIGHLY recommend that you start with that rather than trying to rehab through DG. Especially if you're lacking the confidence to attack the game like you would normally. If you find you're over compensating and/or tweaking your form to compensate for your injuries, you could be potentially compromising your body mechanics, which could lead to further issues down the road. Try to find and enroll in some sort of PT program that will focus on helping rebuild your core strength and that will monitor your progress to provide active feedback when they see you compensating for your injuries.

Stay patient and try to take some of your passion for disc golf and put it toward rehab. The sooner you start feeling better and more confident, the sooner you'll find your way back to your game. Good luck!

You will get back to 100%, it'll just be the new 100%.
Sage advice. :hfive:

Holy crap....wait...sorry. :eek: Quite an ordeal Nate. I spent a dozen years on a post surgical unit working as a nurse. Helped thousands of folks with similar injuries/surgeries. The outcomes are varied. They body is a damn funny mechanism, man. Once the inside of intestines get to the outside.....very bad stuff happens. Even the remnants of microscopic sized specs of waste causes infections. The body is always in survival mode, it walls off the problem and makes those abscess you were dealing with. They suck, but the idea is to stop the infection from destroying organs or more intestine. I obviously don't really know your case, but usually newly found holes in the intestine, post surgically, are caused by the infection, not the other way around. Either way the process can be overwhelming. Two step forward, one step back.
The recovery process is a journey, not a short ride. Set small goals, work hard and give yourself plenty of credit for victories and some slack for failures along the way. Hope you are off the narcotics....a whole 'nother can of very bad worms. You are going to be super susceptible to dehydration with so much of your colon gone, take care to stay hydrated. Good luck man, you can do anything you put your mind to...just don't let anyone tell you it is supposed to be easy.

Hey man, had no clue this had happened! :eek:

Best wishes....healing vibes sent! :)

Only thing I can suggest for not straining yourself is to throw light weight base plastics and work on smooth form. DX Teebirds, x Comets, Aviars and the like. Smooth is good. :)

If the distance or scoring doesn't come, flip the perspective and just be happy to be out in nature, enjoying your hobby! :thmbup:

I'm glad you have made it back to the point where you can actually throw again. Take it slow, and I wish you the best of luck with your recovery!

Man, that's a terrible experience... glad you made it through it... as said before, you will get to a different level of 100%... but you will also need to rethink your strategy on the course... basically, it sounds like you need to unlearn what you used to know, and relearn everything from a different perspective and different disc usage...

I have a bad right ankle... so pivoting during follow-through hurts like the dickens... and I'm sure it's hilarious to watch when I fall on my arse... so as other, I can kinda relate...

Glad to hear you're back on the road to recovery! Take this time to really slow down, re learn and fix whatever flaws you've had in your form before. I often think of restarting just because of bad habits I've picked up but unfortunately it's never that easy. Keep us updated!

Also Opeth! My favorite band. Literally enjoy every single record of theirs. ����

Latest posts