• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Going back to Cali

roadtripstuff

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
So my girlfriend and I are headed out on a two+ week long adventure from Ohio to California in March. It's bee quite a few years since I've hit the road for such a long trip, and I am super excited to get back out there. We have finally got a good idea of the routes we want to take there and back, and have started to get some of the details, courses and attractions to see while we are out on the road.

So below is a list of the courses we will be playing, while we would have loved to play the highest rated courses along the way we picked courses that fit into our timeline, courses that we are passing during the day time, closest to the freeway/route as possible, and courses that we both will enjoy, I play Open Women she plays Recreational Women.

So I guess I would like some feedback, tips, etc on the courses. If there are nearby courses that are better that would still fit into our schedule. I am also looking to see if there are members that are familiar with any of theses courses and would maybe like to meet up and show us around.

So here we go:

Day 1
-Driving from Columbus, OH to Rolla, MO
Day 2
-Lion's Club DGC
-Drive from Rolla, MO to El Reno, OK
-Route 66 DGC
-Drive from El Reno, OK to Moriarty, NM
Day 3
-Drive from Moriarty, NM to Albuquerque, NM
-Roosevelt Park
-Drive from Albuquerque, NM to Flagstaff, AZ
-McPherson Park
Day 4
-Thorpe Park
-Drive from Flagstaff, AZ to Cottonwood, AZ
-Cottonwood Riverfront DGC
-Drive from Cottonwood, AZ to Phoenix, AZ
Day 5
-Fountain Hills
-Vista Del Camino
-Drive from Phoenix, AZ to Julian, CA
Day 6
-Drive From Julian, CA to San Diego, CA
-Colina Park DGC
Day 7
-Morley Field
-Kit Carson DGC
Day 8 thru 10
-Daniel Boe Memorial Disc Golf Tournament at Kit Carson Park
-Drive from San Diego, CA to Huntington Beach, CA
Day 11
-Huntington Beach Central Park
-Drive from Huntington Beach, CA to Lake Casitas, CA
-Coyote Point DGC
Day 12
-Coyote Point DGC
-Drive from Lake Casitas, CA, to Los Angeles, CA
-Chavez Ridge
-Drive from Los Angeles, CA to Pasadena, CA
Day 13
-Oak Grove
-Drive from Pasadena, CA to Las Vegas, NV
Day 14
-Sunset Park
-Drive from Las Vegas, NV to Grand Junction, CO
Day 15
-Drive from Grand Junction, CO to Arvada, CO
-Johnny Roberts DGC
-Drive from Arvada, CO to Colby, KS
Day 16
-Drive from Colby, KS to Hays, KS
-Frontier Park
-Drive from Hays, KS to Blue Springs, MO
-Wilbur Young Park DGC
-Drive from Blue Springs, MO to Highland, IL
Day 17
-Drive from Highland, IL to Columbus, OH

So my girlfriend and I are headed out on a two+ week long adventure from Ohio to California in March. It's bee quite a few years since I've hit the road for such a long trip, and I am super excited to get back out there. We have finally got a good idea of the routes we want to take there and back, and have started to get some of the details, courses and attractions to see while we are out on the road.

So below is a list of the courses we will be playing, while we would have loved to play the highest rated courses along the way we picked courses that fit into our timeline, courses that we are passing during the day time, closest to the freeway/route as possible, and courses that we both will enjoy, I play Open Women she plays Recreational Women.

So I guess I would like some feedback, tips, etc on the courses. If there are nearby courses that are better that would still fit into our schedule. I am also looking to see if there are members that are familiar with any of theses courses and would maybe like to meet up and show us around.

In Albuquerque, I would recommend Brent Bacca. Roosevelt is in a very traditional city park, with grass and mature trees while Brent Bacca is on a desert lot with natural southwest vegetation. Bacca has a ton of personality and a higher rating! Fine for a newer player. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=398

In San Diego, since you have already played Morley Field, I might recommend playing Goat Hill in Oceanside or Brengle Terrace in Vista and add another course to your played list.Although Goat Hill is a monster you may not want to tackle just before a tournament.But you should have afternoons or mornings free since DBoe has tee times.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5559
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4372

On Day/Night 11, in HB. There is a Monday night league at the new David L Baker Golf course under the lights with carts. Course is currently only open on Monday nights, so it won't show in a search unless you check Temporary. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=9608

In Las Vegas, you should add North Las Vegas and play a night round! Great views of downton at night and you have the whole place to yourself. Short course, no carts needed.https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8275
Also, while in Vegas, I might recommend Mountain Crest or Wild Horse Afternoon over Sunset. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=316 The big NT event in Vegas has moved to Wild Horse and no longer uses Sunsethttps://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8341

In Albuquerque, I would recommend Brent Bacca. Roosevelt is in a very traditional city park, with grass and mature trees while Brent Bacca is on a desert lot with natural southwest vegetation. Bacca has a ton of personality and a higher rating! Fine for a newer player. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=398

In San Diego, since you have already played Morley Field, I might recommend playing Goat Hill in Oceanside or Brengle Terrace in Vista and add another course to your played list.Although Goat Hill is a monster you may not want to tackle just before a tournament.But you should have afternoons or mornings free since DBoe has tee times.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5559
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4372

On Day/Night 11, in HB. There is a Monday night league at the new David L Baker Golf course under the lights with carts. Course is currently only open on Monday nights, so it won't show in a search unless you check Temporary. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=9608

In Las Vegas, you should add North Las Vegas and play a night round! Great views of downton at night and you have the whole place to yourself. Short course, no carts needed.https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8275
Also, while in Vegas, I might recommend Mountain Crest or Wild Horse Afternoon over Sunset. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=316 The big NT event in Vegas has moved to Wild Horse and no longer uses Sunsethttps://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8341

Thanks for the info!!!

I did go back and forth between Bacca and Roosevelt so maybe I will rethink that one, might end up choosing which course once we are on the road. Weather and what not depending.

I was definitely thinking about hitting at least Brengle Trace while we are out there, prob either that Friday morning or Sunday evening perhaps and was also hoping to get in Goat Hill, but that one may have to wait. My gf has never played Morley and I think she would really enjoy it. There are a few on the list that I have played, that I thought she would enjoy, plus they can also be buffer courses in case we get off schedule or anything like that.

Do you know what time the winter league starts/what time you can golf at that course near HB? That honestly sounds pretty cool and if I can work it in I would like to for sure.

Unfortunately I don't think we are going to have time for Wild Horse on this trip. I definitely want to play there, but will prob end up saving those for another time. I think we will definitely be playing that discgolfpark course now though, don't know how I missed that one. You would play Mountain Crest over Sunset? I was just looking for something close that would be an easy round so I'm open to either one for sure.

Thanks again for you input. Any other must see or do attractions in the socal, or any area for that matter. We will probably try to do a few other things besides disc golf lol.

You've got an awful lot of long days in there, e.g. Day 3 when you're driving over 300 miles in between the morning round in Albuquerque and afternoon/evening round in Flagstaff. Be sure and stop (and stand on a corner) in Winslow, AZ - it's on your route that day.

Thanks for the info!!!

I did go back and forth between Bacca and Roosevelt so maybe I will rethink that one, might end up choosing which course once we are on the road. Weather and what not depending.

I was definitely thinking about hitting at least Brengle Trace while we are out there, prob either that Friday morning or Sunday evening perhaps and was also hoping to get in Goat Hill, but that one may have to wait. My gf has never played Morley and I think she would really enjoy it. There are a few on the list that I have played, that I thought she would enjoy, plus they can also be buffer courses in case we get off schedule or anything like that.

Do you know what time the winter league starts/what time you can golf at that course near HB? That honestly sounds pretty cool and if I can work it in I would like to for sure.

Unfortunately I don't think we are going to have time for Wild Horse on this trip. I definitely want to play there, but will prob end up saving those for another time. I think we will definitely be playing that discgolfpark course now though, don't know how I missed that one. You would play Mountain Crest over Sunset? I was just looking for something close that would be an easy round so I'm open to either one for sure.

Thanks again for you input. Any other must see or do attractions in the socal, or any area for that matter. We will probably try to do a few other things besides disc golf lol.

It appears the 10 Week Monday Night league ends on March 19. They have flex starts from 4:30 to 6:30pm. Here is link to Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/events/897643953736109/

Sunset is a solid course, easy to play, easy to get there and very close to the strip. Mountain View is smaller but actually has some elevation in play and you will have to drive there. Both are solid choices if you are not going to play Wildhorse.

I'll second the advice to play Brent Baca over Roosevelt (although Rosey is a pretty quick play and right near downtown, so why not both?)
I would advise trying to find a local guide for either course, navigation can be tricky at both of them.

You've got an awful lot of long days in there, e.g. Day 3 when you're driving over 300 miles in between the morning round in Albuquerque and afternoon/evening round in Flagstaff. Be sure and stop (and stand on a corner) in Winslow, AZ - it's on your route that day.

Yeah there are a few long ones in there. We have a small SUV, Honda Element, that is/will be fully equipped to camp in and on the way out will be sleeping at nearby rest areas, and Walmarts that allow overnight RV stays. So there won't be much packing up and moving other than to the front seat to drive lol.

Also in Flagstaff we have Thorpe Park as a buffer, I have played it before and if we have the time I would love for my gf to play it, but if we don't get into town earlier enough or are too tired to play that night we can just hit McPherson in the morning and skip Thorpe. We may also have time to play them both in the morning.

I've been through Winslow a few times. I've traveled Route 66 several times and have hit most of the sites along the way.

So here we go:

Day 1
-Driving from Columbus, OH to Rolla, MO
Day 2
-Lion's Club DGC
-Drive from Rolla, MO to El Reno, OK
-Route 66 DGC
-Drive from El Reno, OK to Moriarty, NM
Day 3
-Drive from Moriarty, NM to Albuquerque, NM
-Roosevelt Park
-Drive from Albuquerque, NM to Flagstaff, AZ
-McPherson Park
Day 4
-Thorpe Park
-Drive from Flagstaff, AZ to Cottonwood, AZ
-Cottonwood Riverfront DGC
-Drive from Cottonwood, AZ to Phoenix, AZ
Day 5
-Fountain Hills
-Vista Del Camino
-Drive from Phoenix, AZ to Julian, CA
Day 6
-Drive From Julian, CA to San Diego, CA
-Colina Park DGC
Day 7
-Morley Field
-Kit Carson DGC
Day 8 thru 10
-Daniel Boe Memorial Disc Golf Tournament at Kit Carson Park
-Drive from San Diego, CA to Huntington Beach, CA
Day 11
-Huntington Beach Central Park
-Drive from Huntington Beach, CA to Lake Casitas, CA
-Coyote Point DGC
Day 12
-Coyote Point DGC
-Drive from Lake Casitas, CA, to Los Angeles, CA
-Chavez Ridge
-Drive from Los Angeles, CA to Pasadena, CA
Day 13
-Oak Grove
-Drive from Pasadena, CA to Las Vegas, NV
Day 14
-Sunset Park
-Drive from Las Vegas, NV to Grand Junction, CO
Day 15
-Johnny Roberts DGC
-Drive from Arvada, CO to Colby, KS
Day 16
-Drive from Colby, KS to Hays, KS
-Frontier Park
-Drive from Hays, KS to Blue Springs, MO
-Wilbur Young Park DGC
-Drive from Blue Springs, MO to Highland, IL
Day 17
-Drive from Highland, IL to Columbus, OH

Day 6 - Colina and Morley on the same day they are closer together then you think.

Day 7 - Brengle Terrace and Kit Carson. Brengle is the gem of San Diego

Day 6 - Colina and Morley on the same day they are closer together then you think.

Day 7 - Brengle Terrace and Kit Carson. Brengle is the gem of San Diego

We will be camping out in the desert the 5th night into the 6th day and there are some things we want to see and do out there before heading into San Diego, that's why I was thinking just Colina later in the evening. That said I'm thinking about maybe hitting Colina when we get in, then Brengle and Kit Carson on Day 7. I'm thinking I can prob hit Morley either before the round on Day 8 or one of the other days of the event since it's only one round a day.

Day 2 looks like one of your long ones. No offence to Route 66 DGC in El Reno, but I do think there are some better options in OKC. The DGCR rating strikes me as very generous, though I've only played twice myself. The other thing about it is that El Reno can be a miserable experience if you happen to catch it in the wind. It looks like you'd be playing it fairly late in the day, so maybe that'd be less of a problem, though it might bring traffic into play.

I'm guessing you'd be coming down through Tulsa on I-44. Depending on timing, I'd recommend looking into Dolese Youth Park (has two courses, and I'd recommend East if you only have time for one). If you take I-44 all the way through OKC, it's pretty close to your path and is OKC's classic "must play" imho. There's a mini on Wednesday nights.

You might also consider some of Tulsa's offerings, especially if it fits into your driving schedule or might help you avoid rush hour traffic somewhere. McClure is a very solid Tulsa course (though not the most desirable part of town) and isn't far off of I-44.

Day 15
-Johnny Roberts DGC

I'd choose Beaver Ranch or Bucksnort over Johnny Roberts. Roberts is a very crowded putter course in a busy suburban park. Played it twice, last time was after the redesign, and left after a few holes. Didn't feel it was worth waiting to just throw 150 feet or less. Even without a long game, the mountain courses have a mix of intermediate distance holes in a beautiful setting. Just a small backtrack from Arvada. If that doesn't work, I'd rather play Eagle's home course, Bird's Nest over Johnny Roberts.

I'd choose Beaver Ranch or Bucksnort over Johnny Roberts. Roberts is a very crowded putter course in a busy suburban park. Played it twice, last time was after the redesign, and left after a few holes. Didn't feel it was worth waiting to just throw 150 feet or less. Even without a long game, the mountain courses have a mix of intermediate distance holes in a beautiful setting. Just a small backtrack from Arvada. If that doesn't work, I'd rather play Eagle's home course, Bird's Nest over Johnny Roberts.

Unfortunately I don't think we will have time for Bucksnort or Phantom, but I think a buddy and i are going to try to take a short trip to Colorado later in the year. We were out there last year and played some of the other courses out there. Peak One, Ghost Town, Baileys, and a couple of courses down near Colorado Springs. I may look at Bird's Nest though, I appreciate the advice. I didn't realize Johnny Roberts was that short lol.

Day 2 looks like one of your long ones. No offence to Route 66 DGC in El Reno, but I do think there are some better options in OKC. The DGCR rating strikes me as very generous, though I've only played twice myself. The other thing about it is that El Reno can be a miserable experience if you happen to catch it in the wind. It looks like you'd be playing it fairly late in the day, so maybe that'd be less of a problem, though it might bring traffic into play.

I'm guessing you'd be coming down through Tulsa on I-44. Depending on timing, I'd recommend looking into Dolese Youth Park (has two courses, and I'd recommend East if you only have time for one). If you take I-44 all the way through OKC, it's pretty close to your path and is OKC's classic "must play" imho. There's a mini on Wednesday nights.

You might also consider some of Tulsa's offerings, especially if it fits into your driving schedule or might help you avoid rush hour traffic somewhere. McClure is a very solid Tulsa course (though not the most desirable part of town) and isn't far off of I-44.

Good to know!! Yeah that was the one course that I was more going off the rating and reviews since there aren't any pics or anything. I will look at those other two courses for sure, thanks so much!

Unfortunately I don't think we will have time for Bucksnort or Phantom, but I think a buddy and i are going to try to take a short trip to Colorado later in the year. We were out there last year and played some of the other courses out there. Peak One, Ghost Town, Baileys, and a couple of courses down near Colorado Springs. I may look at Bird's Nest though, I appreciate the advice. I didn't realize Johnny Roberts was that short lol.

The high reviews on Johnny Roberts is a bit funny, but read some they are along the lines of "ace chances on every hole!!! 5 stars" For what its worth I wish there was a course like that near me, quick fun and really could use the ability to dial in those 150 - 200' distances... just not a road trip worthy course.

Camenish (sp??) park they Hylands and Badlands are pretty decent parks. I've played the Hylands twice winter and summer vastly different with a bit of foliage on the trees on a few holes. Its not a super awesome course but has some decent shot variety and is fairly popular out there.
The other i've played is Adams Hollow. Before and after the redesign. I still think the property has much much higher potential for a course but it is pretty damn decent layout... not all that far away from Arvada really.

The high reviews on Johnny Roberts is a bit funny, but read some they are along the lines of "ace chances on every hole!!! 5 stars" For what its worth I wish there was a course like that near me, quick fun and really could use the ability to dial in those 150 - 200' distances... just not a road trip worthy course.

Camenish (sp??) park they Hylands and Badlands are pretty decent parks. I've played the Hylands twice winter and summer vastly different with a bit of foliage on the trees on a few holes. Its not a super awesome course but has some decent shot variety and is fairly popular out there.
The other i've played is Adams Hollow. Before and after the redesign. I still think the property has much much higher potential for a course but it is pretty damn decent layout... not all that far away from Arvada really.

Yeah I just picked Johnny Roberts because I had heard good things in the past, but I'm definitely going to take another look around that are and see if there is something we may like better. I am definitely not set on that one at all.

Does anyone have an idea what the weather is typically like out there at the end of March. I guess that could also play a part in what we play as well. I have looked up averages and what not, but this year has been so crazy so far I know it's going to be hard to tell.

How's it going? How'd the So Cal tourney go? I just played those courses recently and had a lot of fun.