• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Going on a Road Trip from WI to TX

KMaC

Double Eagle Member
In a couple weeks, a couple of my buddies and I are taking a DG road trip to Texas.

We'll be there about a week, and plan to hop all around the state, and I'm wondering what courses are absolutely amazing and I can't miss hitting up.

Can any Texans help me out with this one?

Tuner park in grand prairie, Lester Lorch in cedar hill both coyote and beaver, Towne lake in Mckinney. Also if you are coming in the last weekend in March, hit up almost any course in Austin. I'll probably run into you.

There's a lot of great courses here in Austin. I'd spend a few days here if you can. A day at Twin Parks (36 Holes) (I think they have camping) and a day at Circle R (36) (I know they have camping if they're open) both west of Austin. Then Circle C and Manor both need to be played and you very well may want to play each of them twice. And you could spend a day playing Wilco (18), Brushy Creek (9) and Cat Hollow (Brushy Creek MUD)(18.) Pease Park is downtown and fun, though it can get crowded depending on when you try to play it. But an early morning round there and an early afternoon at Circle C would be doable. But if you wait until 3pm at Circle C or Pease, you're probably going to get backed up b/c they start to get some traffic.

Depending on the dates you'll be down here, Circle R may or may not be open. I know the Texan DGCRers are planning a Circle R round on April 17th. So that may be a great time to be here!

Send me a PM when you start to finalize your plans around Austin and depending on when you're around I can recommend eateries, etc.

As DUDE said,Circle C, WilCo, Pease, and especially East Metro (Manor) are great courses. Look me up if you make it out here, I will be more than happy to guide for you at Manor.

I was in Austin (1st time in Tx) last October and played Circle C and East Manor, both are very good courses. I highly recommned them and wish I could play them again.

Here is my opinion.

Order of "Fun Factor" - DFW area/City - Course Name

1 Cedar Hill - Coyote
2 Cedar Hill - Beaver (both courses at same location)
3 Rockwall - Harry Myers
4 Grand Prairie - Turner Park
5 Fort Worth - Z-Boaz Park
6 McKinney - Towne Lake
7 Crowley - Bicentennial
8 Arlington - Veterans Park
9 Haltom City - North Park (not all pads are in yet & you will need a guide)
10 Lewisville - Lake Lewisville Park (first 9 holes are beautiful)

** 9-hole honorable mention: White Settlement - Saddle Hills DGC

I've been from Wis to Texas a couple of times. Austin or Dallas/FW are each worth a few days by themselves. Houston is farther and less spectacular. Though a friend of mine was recently there and enjoyed himself. Texas also has a bunch of private courses that need some homework ahead of time, that are enjoyable. Lots of driving time required for that adventure though. I think I would opt for a few days in Austin and a few days in Dallas/FW; if you have that kind of time. If not; probably choose one or the other and see if there's one of the privates near by. Be prepared to "throw far" on many holes.

Here is my opinion.

1 Cedar Hill - Coyote
3 Rockwall - Harry Myers
6 McKinney - Towne Lake
7 Crowley - Bicentennial

Can't go wrong with most of these. If I had to choose a few from this list it would be both Cedar Hill courses, Z Boaz, Towne Lake, Veterans and Lake Lewisville. Enjoy your trip, you might not want to come back!

if your route takes you down I-57 South AND you have the time to do so.....
jump off at centralia,IL. and check it out. you'll be glad you did. if not going down,perhaps the return trip. depending on WHEN you would/could be in centralia (only 10m.west off the interstate) i could meet you and be your humble guide.
at least check us (and the reviews) here on this site and at centraliadiscgolf.com
oh...we were listed #33 on this tears top 50!!! yay for us!!!

I've been from Wis to Texas a couple of times. Austin or Dallas/FW are each worth a few days by themselves. Houston is farther and less spectacular. Though a friend of mine was recently there and enjoyed himself. Texas also has a bunch of private courses that need some homework ahead of time, that are enjoyable. Lots of driving time required for that adventure though. I think I would opt for a few days in Austin and a few days in Dallas/FW; if you have that kind of time. If not; probably choose one or the other and see if there's one of the privates near by. Be prepared to "throw far" on many holes.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what we're doing. A few days in Austin and a few in D/FW.

Here is my opinion.

1 Cedar Hill - Coyote
3 Rockwall - Harry Myers
6 McKinney - Towne Lake
7 Crowley - Bicentennial

I have to disagree slightly with my buddy Donovan. I haven't played Turner or towne lake but I would put Bicenntennial at the top of that list. I also enjoyed gateway West but you really need a guide there and it takes longer than most to play it.

I'd have to disagree with magi,,, Cedar Hill and Rockwall are the best in DFW. Z-Boaz Turner Crowley and Towne Lake are all great but you will run into bigger crowds at Turner and Z-boaz than you will at Crowley or Towne Lake due to lacation.

Latest posts