• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Golfers that don't keep score!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Anovin

Eagle Member
Just wanting to get some opinions on the people out there that don't keep score when they play. I know a couple people like this and I just don't get it. They're only argument to me is, "I'm just out there to have fun." Then I say, "how do you track whether or not you're improving?" Who knows? Maybe they don't care. But I compare it to bowling. I think it would be pointless to bowl and not keep score. Just like I think its pointless to play dg and not keep score. Yeah, I'm out there to have fun too, but I wanna know how I shoot. I guess I just don't get it.

You know your improving by how your shots are flying... your score is arbitrary. When I play solo on my local course I rarely keep score.

When I first started I never kept score.. I probably played about 6 or 7 times before I started counting.

I forgot.. when Im playing by myself Ill normally throw a few discs from every spot so I guess I dont keep score on those days. But I also dont consider that a proper round.

Last edited:
I've met people that didn't record their scores but don't know if I am came across anyone that didn't care at all.

It all depends on who I play with. Sometimes I don't keep track myself. There is a local course by me that I've played so many times that I just try to get aces and deuces....I usually don't keep track there.

They're usually the same people that say they're -6 by the end of the first nine holes and you've watched them get a 5 on one of them. when you don't keep score you don't have to remember the bad ones.

They're usually the same people that say they're -6 by the end of the first nine holes and you've watched them get a 5 on one of them. when you don't keep score you don't have to remember the bad ones.

That's a narrow minded outlook...

If your not keeping track of your score, you wouldn't say your 6 down.

However there are all sorts of people that DO track their score that say they are 6 down no matter what. But that's a different group of disc golfer.

Last edited:
That's a narrow minded outlook...

If your not keeping track of your score, you wouldn't say your 6 down...

I'm just saying you don't remember your doubles and your triples but you would remember your birds.

95% of my golf is at tournaments. The other golf is throws to warm up at tournaments. I don't keep track of those shots. I throw a few drives and pick up and go to the next hole.

Hey Stray, you've noticed that too? I've played plenty of rounds where people "keep score in their head," only to find they beat my score of E while they've been singing the bogey blues and two putting all day. Kinda funny.

Keeping score just depresses me.

Seriously, when I was coming back from some injuries, I stopped keeping score till I got my game back. Still when I play alone I rarely keep score. (Or if I do keep score I don't write anything down.) I figure that I know when I'm having a good or bad game.

If I'm not playing a tourney round nowadays I'm not keeping score. this is because I'm usually practicing lines, throwing multiple drives and testing out new discs.

Casual golfers, not the competitive types of people. I know quite a few that are out for the joy of being outside doing something they enjoy, not to improve or be good at it.

They also tend to be in the groups of 12+ with rolling coolers and an odd smelling cloud of smoke above them the entire round.... good people, we are just wired different.

You know your improving by how your shots are flying... your score is arbitrary. When I play solo on my local course I rarely keep score.

Scores aren't arbitrary. If they are, why keep them at all. Why not just have 3 judges sitting behind the tee box during tourneys and award points for how pretty the shot looked?!?! Absurd. There is a direct correlation between avg scores and skill level. We all know that right? To put this in a real perspective, last year I played a course for the first time and shot +16. I had only been playing for a couple months. Recently, I went back there and played two rounds. I shot E the first round and -3 the second. THAT is how I know I'm improving. You really think I remember what my shots looked like during a round 10 months ago? No. But I know what I shot because I kept score.

I always keep single round scores. I have been now for about 6 years. I've gone as far to write my own customized program for reporting on all of my scores which shows me how I'm playing by year, by season and records my par/birdie, etc percentages. It reports a lot more than that but I'll keep it short. I think keeping score is crucial to improving your game. It will help challenge yourself to the best of your abilities, for those who are about those things like me.

Scores aren't arbitrary. If they are, why keep them at all. Why not just have 3 judges sitting behind the tee box during tourneys and award points for how pretty the shot looked?!?! Absurd. There is a direct correlation between avg scores and skill level. We all know that right? To put this in a real perspective, last year I played a course for the first time and shot +16. I had only been playing for a couple months. Recently, I went back there and played two rounds. I shot E the first round and -3 the second. THAT is how I know I'm improving. You really think I remember what my shots looked like during a round 10 months ago? No. But I know what I shot because I kept score.

I think you missed the point that we are talking about non-tourney rounds...

How do you compare a score of a 10 over on the worlds hardest course, to a 10 down on the easiest? Its arbitrary my friend.

Anyone can tell they are playing better just be the feel of their throws and their results. Who cares what you shot on a course 10 months ago? NO ONE!

You really don't need scores to tell yourself how your playing. You know if you are having a good or bad day and what is wrong with your game.

I almost never keep score. I have more fun improving my throws and trying to hit lines and distances than I do lowering my score. I'm not claiming that it's useless information, just not information that I'm all that interested in. I'm more interested in stuff like, "I'm now throwing my Teebirds 400' consistently, land within 20' of the basket from all shots from within 200' and hit all of my putts from 20' in" than I am my actual score. Stuff like that transfers to courses you've never played before. Getting a lower score on a particular course might just mean you're getting better at playing that course.

Here's an article that describes this philosophy more in depth:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/measureskills.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.