• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

good all purpose "float" disc?

I have a Lightning #2 Driver that I got at a tourney a handful of years ago. Joe's Flight chart rates it the same as a Cyclone. I'd highly recommend this disc if you're in need of a floater. Honestly, I can't tell you if it floats or not but it's very accurate. Every time I've used it on a water hole it went right where I aimed it...or rather, right by the basket. I used it on hole #17 at The Lodge - Island Course] and nearly aced it for a tap in birdie.

03825838.jpg

My wife tried the Dragon and it turned and burned on her...pretty unusable.

Last edited:
I used to use dragons but found them a bit too flippy for me, since I've been throwing a Wahoo very reliably, don't put tons of power on it just get it out there on a nice line and it's good and reliable. The dragon would be good for your son as a starter though, I doubt he gets a ton of snap to it so it wouldn't really hold right on ya. As far as floaters go it stinks being able to see your disc and not reach it but eventually they float to shore (I carry two on watery tourny courses for this reason) because I can throw one away continue the round and go back and get it between rounds.

I'm not afraid to get... Him wet! Lol the 3 spots I'm thinking of 1 is a little wider then 20 feet..2 is a very small pond... And 3 is a huge resevoir. I was just thinking of trying something different xause when I told him his Cobra would sink he got kinda defensive over it! Pretty funny actually.

I'll keep reading your comments and look on some of the sites at their #'s...

I have a Z Buzzz.... Does it really float or are you saying you don't care if you lose it? Hard to decipher saecasm on here sometimes...

I have a Z Buzzz.... Does it really float or are you saying you don't care if you lose it? Hard to decipher saecasm on here sometimes...

I think he was saying it should go where you put it so it shouldn't end up in the water.

Best water disc ever made was a Z Buzzz.

Long enough to reach over most water hazards (300') may require layup
Easy to find at most disc golf stores
Same disc every time you buy one and doesn't require two years to beat in
Reliable and easy to throw consistently

I usually keep a newer Z Buzzz in the bag I don't care much about for holes where a disc may not come home safely. This works for me and gives me the confidence to go for it when given the chance.

that does not float, so it is not a water disc, I can say any disc is the best if I want to chance it, but the OP asked about floaters.

to much $ for food and they crap in the yard...

I'm thinking I might get my son the Dragon and either get a hydra or lightning driver #2...
(was hoping to get from GGGT... Through amazon...)

you know he means the disc retrieval device called the Golden Retriever, right?

X out Hydras are $7.99 at Marshall St.
But if that all you want, you can get a new one from one of the sites with free shipping for $9-$10

please see my previous post about Z Buzzz... (its hard to tell when someone is being sarcastic)

yes I knew it was the yellow triangle thingy...sorry

my wife was going to order me a fade crunch box through GGGT off of Amazon so I figured she could add those to the order! (she won't see it the same though!)

I don't think we have Marshals in Ohio... I don't remember seeing one... I think there is a clothing store named that but don't think they have discs....

please see my previous post about Z Buzzz... (its hard to tell when someone is being sarcastic)

yes I knew it was the yellow triangle thingy...sorry

my wife was going to order me a fade crunch box through GGGT off of Amazon so I figured she could add those to the order! (she won't see it the same though!)

I don't think we have Marshals in Ohio... I don't remember seeing one... I think there is a clothing store named that but don't think they have discs....

You need to take 30 east and go to either Just Disc Golf or Quonset Hut in Canton being the only ones I know of.

Just word of warning that Quonset Hut has some adult things as its not strictly a disc golf store.

Lightning #2 Driver. It's a good, not great but good, all-purpose disc. I have aced with one and have one in the bag.

For the record, I also have an ace with a Dragon, but they're quite flippy.

Honestly, get him a second cobra or whatever it is he throws regularly.

Nothing will fly like the discs you know and you are just asking for it to hit the water if you only throw it over the water.

I've used the Lightning, Dragon, and Wahoo.

I found the Dragon flippy and unreliable, but it might work for an 8-year-old. It's nothing I'd ever throw away from water.

The Wahoo is sort of a long-range driver for modest arms.....I know some folks in the 300' range for whom it's their longest driver....but as a driver, it's not that accurate for shorter shots.

I'd go with the Lightning. It's not a great disc, but it's decent; you could use it elsewhere on the course, from time to time.

My caveat is that floating discs tend to bob out of reach, laughing at you, unless you plunk them fairly close to shore, or have time for the wind to blow them to land. A disc you can see but can't get isn't a lot better than one that's disappeared.

I use my hydra as well on those shorter holes that have water to clear. Always nice to see a floating disc once you walk up to the hazard.

I can send my Hydra out to 220ft. Its a great disc to use and putt with around water. I use a Wahoo for driving around water

i've used 3

172 lightning #3 slice (sank in water 3 out of 10 times)
169 wahoo (floats awesome!)
150 dragon (floats pretty well)

lightning #3 slice - sank in water 3 out of 10 times
had a very waxy feel that i didn't like
flew very straight if i released on a hyzer. i like the flight of this disc most out of the floaters i've tried.

wahoo - floats awesome! very domey. very gummy feel. thick wing similar to a halo or a nuke.
too understable for me. flips far too easy.
i loved everything about this disc except for it's flight path

dragon - floats pretty well
even though the 172 #3 slice had a beater flight path, i'll stick to using the dragon because i like the dx feel much more than the waxy #3 slice.

i have not tried the hydra because my theory is that if i can throw a hydra far enough to get over the water then i should be able to safely get my leopard across the water and be more accurate and have more distance.

Latest posts