• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

good all purpose "float" disc?

Honestly, get him a second cobra or whatever it is he throws regularly.

Nothing will fly like the discs you know and you are just asking for it to hit the water if you only throw it over the water.

Eh, I have had success with discs that I don't give a crap about at all that I don't throw any other time. I just throw them with no fear and it works out. Actually used the mid that came with my Instep over 3 water hazards a couple weeks ago and made it.

But then, it was just a rec round so who cares? If I was playing in something remotely serious, I would probably use my baseline plastic version of something I throw.

^^^^
Exactly. I keep a couple of DX Valks on hand. I use them normally for better grip during rainy rounds and I use them for questionable water shots since they're cheap to replace. You're much better off with a disc you normally use. I've got a D-Buzzz too for fearless mid-range water use. I know too many people that have lost their CE plastic in swamps/ponds probably due to stiffening up over the fear of losing said discs.

You need to take 30 east and go to either Just Disc Golf or Quonset Hut in Canton being the only ones I know of.

Just word of warning that Quonset Hut has some adult things as its not strictly a disc golf store.

have you been to either of them? From what I was reading on their site just DG closed their retal store & are just online (although it says will deliver free to a DG course within 25 miles!

QH... Been the twice so far... Have a pretty good selection of discs (ton more then MC & Dunhams) ! The smoking equipment & adult items are separate & downstairs... Jewlery, darts ,DG, and skateboard stuff is upstairs on main floor...

have you been to either of them? From what I was reading on their site just DG closed their retal store & are just online (although it says will deliver free to a DG course within 25 miles!

QH... Been the twice so far... Have a pretty good selection of discs (ton more then MC & Dunhams) ! The smoking equipment & adult items are separate & downstairs... Jewlery, darts ,DG, and skateboard stuff is upstairs on main floor...

Been about a year since I have been to Just DG. Like to stop there on occasion when I go out to Arboretum. :( I will miss the place. Never actually have gone to the hut.

Years ago, there was a guy that sold discs out of a green house just outside of Orville, but he was gone when I started playing again a couple years ago. This part of Ohio needs a DG jolt I think.

well I ordered a Dragon & a hydra... And a Fade crunch box bag....

we went to portage lakes last Thursday & they were doing a "scramble"... Lots of people out there... Also lots of people @ spiker on Sat afternoon...

Technohic where are you @ in Ohio? Maybe we can meet up & you can show me how to throw....

I'm in Ashland. Theres really nothing to see here. lol

As far as getting together, we can try sometime. it only took me a bit over a year or so to get together with Agapedad and still trying with Brall, but I think he has about given up on me. Then there are days where I can throw and days where someone might wonder if I ever played before. lol

Something I was thinking the other day. What makes these discs float? How are they different from other discs? I have seen these floating discs in stores but never owned or thrown any.

I think you'll be happy with the Hydra. As noted earlier, it's a good short disc even if it wasn't a floater. It's one you can really get used to without it being a "water hole only" disc. I've had a dragon and wahoo, and really only threw them on water holes, so it was harder to get them to do what I wanted, as I was not as used to them.

Bought a dragon, threw it once over a big water hole at a nearby course, it crashed into the water and sank. Based on that, I would probably not go with a dragon again. I think I do a lot better throwing my regular discs on those holes because I actually know how to throw them.

My dad tossed a 150 R-bro boss, supposed floater that sunk like a rock, today.
The best floater for a kid is the dolphin, however they are very pricey ($30 each)
Hydra is your best bet for Innova, but as Dave pointed out, check out lightning, they make floaters
The Aerobie Arrow is a neat floater for a kid, they may like it's odd shape. The Epic is a floater, but it is not kid friendly.

R-Pro Bosses usually float at 140 gm or less. I'm speaking from experience here, I've tested them. :)

The Hydra is the most versatile disc you can buy that floats, and they throw pretty nice too. A very underrated disc IMO. It is basically the same as a Bulldog, and everyone loved the Bulldog.

Latest posts