• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Got a new 174 Z avenger, what can I expect it to fly like?

Pete Kwaz

Birdie Member
I got a new 174 Z avenger to try out as a possible addition to my bag and I was wondering what to expect from it. What disc would you compare it to? the rim seems rather short when compared to my force and the surge, or is it just me?

It does have a little high speed turn, but a pretty big fade at the end. Although I do have the X version which is probably a little less stable. Even though I am a noodle arm I can get this disc out past 325 on a straight shot, which is really good for me.

Depends on how far you can throw. If you're in the <350' Range, it will act more like a Z Predator. Over that and it will act as it should, a good stable avenger (fairway driver type flight, but longer).

similar to an ESP avenger.

Jk they're somewhat overstable unless you have a lot of torque. It's kind of a tweener, not really a fairway driver and not as fast as the big boys anymore.

It's actually not a bad distance disc for someone who isn't into super wide-rim discs (i.e. small hands)

Last edited:
My Z-Avenger has a very flat top and is a hawg. Much more stable than the other 1.8 rated Discraft discs I've thrown.

Hmmmm I haven't tried a Starfire, I woulda said a really fast Banshee, but you know it's round like every other disc has some similarities to other molds but nothing I've thrown flies like an Avenger, it is an excellent FH disc. An Elite X Avenger is radically different from a Z Avenger, X has way more high speed turn and a softer fade. Z is way more stable, it's a straight line bomber primarily you can S it but it's like you're forcing it. It should fit in your bag between the Surge and a Flick. Nice for overhand shots as well.

I'd agree that the Z Avengers are borderline overstable. The X Avengers are more of a straight flyer, at least at my range (350ish)

Starfire is a good comparison. Avenger is a little less high speed stable. Awesome disc and it goes really far. Slightly overstable.

Hmmmm I haven't tried a Starfire, I woulda said a really fast Banshee, but you know it's round like every other disc has some similarities to other molds but nothing I've thrown flies like an Avenger, it is an excellent FH disc. An Elite X Avenger is radically different from a Z Avenger, X has way more high speed turn and a softer fade. Z is way more stable, it's a straight line bomber primarily you can S it but it's like you're forcing it. It should fit in your bag between the Surge and a Flick. Nice for overhand shots as well.

well I really like that you said its a great forehand disc as I want to improve my forehand game next year to reach 300 feet in distance with 400 feet in backhand distance. I can;t wait to get out there once all this bleepin snow goes away.

Starfire is a good comparison. Avenger is a little less high speed stable. Awesome disc and it goes really far. Slightly overstable.

I have thrown an SL and I got a good amount of distance out if it. kind of like 171 a wraith. I like overstable discs so I'm really liking that I chose the avenger.

I just got a 173 Z Avenger off of billnchristy. I've thrown it about 15 or 20 times so far. It seems a little more stable than my DGA Rogue (174), and a good bit more stable than my beat in Surge (165).

I have a brand new ESP Avenger and it's more overstable than I would have guessed. It's a great disc nonetheless, I am finding uses for it. It will be a great headwind driver I'm sure, much like a firebird but a little faster.

I also noticed the "thin" rim comparing to surges, etc. I would expect the Z avenger to be even a tad more overstable than ESP, mine is 174g as well. I'm looking forward to getting to know this disc, and I think it'll be really nice once it's broken in a little bit.

so how would you say an avenger compares to a destroyer? I only have discraft and innova plastic in my bag for drivers

I have a brand new ESP Avenger and it's more overstable than I would have guessed. It's a great disc nonetheless, I am finding uses for it. It will be a great headwind driver I'm sure, much like a firebird but a little faster.

I also noticed the "thin" rim comparing to surges, etc. I would expect the Z avenger to be even a tad more overstable than ESP, mine is 174g as well. I'm looking forward to getting to know this disc, and I think it'll be really nice once it's broken in a little bit.

I would be thrilled to death if I can fill the roll of primary forehand driver with this disc.

slower than a destroyer, but more overstable [edit: I'm having second thoughts about this... hard to tell if it's more overstable or not I guess... let me know what you think once you throw it -- every disc is made a little different]

Last edited:
It's great for controlled forehands, you can throw it real hard without turning it over.

My bro uses Elite X Avengers primarily for his forehand laser, within 140-240' when he can't forehand his XD at it, he releases em on a 45 degree angle and lets them come up. He gets 250+ ft dead flat straight before it even thinks about turning. He uses a ESP for longer drives and he can really get behind it... his other disc is a Flick. I'd say they're less stable than the destroyer though they have a late hook that's similar, but also have a higher resistance to high speed turn. Break in can take a while.

Last edited:

Latest posts