• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip Tips for Rocs

Everstreet121

Bogey Member
Hey, I recently purchased a DX Roc and a San Marino Star Roc. Before these I used Stingrays which have a much shallower rim and I had no troubles with grip on those using a power grip.

The Rocs have a deeper rim and I'm finding I can't get a good clean release, often causing the discs to wobble for about half the flight. Any Roc users have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Also, when driving with a Roc do you go half power and not full reach back? I'm having some trouble with getting both power and a straight flight.

^^depends on how far I need to throw it. The key with the roc (and any disc for that matter) is being smooth (if your form is herky jerky you will have problems with lots of discs). They can be touchy so if your release is off a bit you will suffer the consequences. It sounds like you are having grip issues.

Its kind of hard for us to give you advice without a video.........post one up if you get a chance and maybe we can help you out. Or just post a pic of how you grip your roc from the top and the bottom

Also, when driving with a Roc do you go half power and not full reach back? I'm having some trouble with getting both power and a straight flight.

I throw full power if I am driving for distance... but then again if I am driving for distance I normally use a different disc. During a one disc round with a Roc though, I will throw full power, full reach. You just need to learn how the disc behaves and you can do as much/little power as you want.

Awesome thanks guys! Yeah I think part of my issue is grip but also some jerkiness when I throw. My drivers kind of mask that, but the Roc is really showing me that I probably am doing something not quite right.

I'll try and tweek some things and hopefully they'll work. Again thanks for the tips guys!

This is the grip I use.

I use a grip that differs from a lot of people,due to my cyst on my ring finger.This a good control grip I came up with due to the pain in my finger.

Have your index finger on the edge of the rim or have the crease of your index finger under the rim(like a putt),middle finger against the rim,ring finger stacked on your middle finger and pinky against the rim.

Here lately I've just been keeping my index finger pressed against the rim(same with my drives)and I've been pretty accurate.

I use a power grip but only keep massive pressure on the index, the rest just barely press on the rim for control. I also really dig the rim into the first knuckle from the fingertip to get the snap. Any closer to my hand and I get oat/grip lock or something else.

i throw the stack fork grip. its the only way i can get a comfortable acurate grip on rocs. once you get use to them theyre great!

i just have stacks if rocs they collect dust I cant throw them... but yet i can throw a wasp.. ugg