• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

has this happened???

I heard that the reason that you can only use 150g discs in Japan is a consequence of someone getting struck in the head and killed. This is water-cooler level gossip though, I don't know it as a fact. Come to think of it...I've only heard tell of the "150g in Japan" rule, so that part is hearsay too.

Anyone confirm/deny this?

I think the first part is just urban legend, but disc weights are restricted in Japan. It used to be nothing over 150g was allowed, but at the most recent Japan Open pros were allowed to throw up to I think 159.4g, not sure if that's going to be a change for everyone or not.

I guy died of a heart attack during a tournament round at Gran Canyon in FL. I doubt fear of getting hit by a disc or missing a putt caused it......so not really DG related, but very sad/unfortunate.

That may have been Steady Ed Headrick - he had a stroke (at age 83, I believe) while playing in a tourney in Florida, died a few days later. Fly free, pal.

I heard the 150g Japan rule is so the discs don't ding up their trees. I have no evidence to back that up, either, though.

Latest posts