• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Have you ever had a disc that doesn't throw the way the numbers read?

Ever had a disc that didn't throw the way the numbers read?

• Total voters

Chuckms

I recently bought an innova t-rex because of my desire to have a driver with a nice hard turn (0 for high speed, 4 for low speed). I've thrown similar "numbers" and read the pro review on innova's page that mentioned that this was a disc that was really difficult to turn over, and so expected these results.

However, when I got out and sent it downrange a few times, I noticed that it really wasn't hard to turn over at all, and if I released it with really any annie at all, it wouldn't come back. Has anyone else experienced discs doing things differently than their numbers say they will? Or would someone like to explain this for me?

Flight numbers work like this.

They're only worth considering if you can throw with enough force to make the disc fly the way its intended.

And, if you can throw with enough force to make the disc fly the way its intended, you've already learned that flight numbers suck.

On a more useful note, if you're "turning over" a teerex, you have OAT. Hate to say it, but you need to clean up your form.

Do you have any discs that are fading back after you release anhyzer?

Discs vary. The high speed discs are the worst for being inconsistent. Some discs like the TeeRex have had multiple mold changes. So really, despite flight numbers, it's a crapshoot what you are going to get.

I'd agree that turning over a TeeRex would indicate OAT, except there are some flippy TeeRex out there. I had some TeeRex a few years back that were flippier than a Wraith. So I really don't know what to tell you.

on rare occasion i get a messed up disc, but overall, ONCE SEASONED the disc will fly almost exactly as described.

i always question myself, if it doesnt...
1) is it seasoned long enough.
2) am i throwing it correctly (usually hard enough, or too hard)
3) what is the plastic type and how does it impact the rating vs. my throw.

almost all discs start off a lot more overstable than predicted.

I have never thrown a disc that flew like the numbers said. There have been some that were similar to the numbers, but none were spot on.

Most the numbers assume clean form and certain distances. Here's a rough estimate of how far you need to throw each class of disc to get the numbers listed.

Putter #s are good for 240'-270'
Mid #s are good for 280'-320'
Fairway driver #s are good for 330'-360'
Drivers speed 9-11 #s are good for around 400'
Drivers speed 12+ #s are good for 450'

If you do not through those classes of discs the distances I listed, the numbers won't match until you break them in, or in the case of the fastest discs, they will never match until you can throw 400'+.

bottom line is, you have to learn what each of your discs does for you. each time your disc his the ground, hits a tree, or his the chains, it gets a little more of its own personality. if you an a buddy both buy the same disc at the same time, it two months they will fly differently. I carry two Buzzzes and three Wraiths, because each flies differently. technically, all wraiths should fly the same, but they won't. Use the numbers as a bit of a guide, but then just learn what YOUR discs do for YOU. agreed with above though, the numbers indicate what a well seasoned disc will do when thrown perfectly.

I have two Lightnings that do that.

On straight and level drives:

The #3 Hookshot slices.
The #2 Slice hookshots.

They don't SAY Forehand Driver on them, like the #2 Roller... but they must be. Unreal.

But then there are those discs that have proven inconsistent enough to throw the numbers out the window. Groove *cough*.

That said, as time has gone on and I've developed a sense of my own ability in relation to the numbers, I've learned to shop in the speed 9 bracket of innova's discs and have been very happily receiving discs that play exactly as expected.

K.

Before I developed my arm speed I had problems. Sometimes I still do if I'm not giving it enough gas with good form off the tee, but generally speaking most discs do what they were designed to do for me.

The numbers on a disc should only be used as a guide, not as gospel as to how any specific disc will fly. Be sure not to over think the sport. The best way to learn a disc is to throw it multiple times, no matter what the numbers say.

If I paid that much attention to numbers I would have never put a Katana in my bag.

Most the numbers assume clean form and certain distances. Here's a rough estimate of how far you need to throw each class of disc to get the numbers listed.

Putter #s are good for 240'-270'
Mid #s are good for 280'-320'
Fairway driver #s are good for 330'-360'
Drivers speed 9-11 #s are good for around 400'
Drivers speed 12+ #s are good for 450'

If you do not through those classes of discs the distances I listed, the numbers won't match until you break them in, or in the case of the fastest discs, they will never match until you can throw 400'+.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

I have to agree with everyone else here. Do not listen to flight numbers. Bc if you are not throwing with the right armspeed.and getting those discs up too speed, then those flight numbers mean absolutly nothing. I find it funny when I play with people that say "this disc just isnt working for me" or "this thing sucks". Then you throw the same disc and release it smoothly, flip it up and watch it glide far and straight. Not trying to be rude, butting cleaning up your form is the best idea given here. Definatly sounds like you've got some OAT going on there. Work on throwing mids, putters, and some fairway drivers. Put the gazelle out past 300 then move on up. And dont listten to flight ratings any more. You're better off getting advice from this site or dgr.

considering not everyone throws the same and disc flights change slightly between runs (some are domey, others flatter) you will not get a disc that flies just like the numbers. Also beaten in discs fly differently, so a 170 Roc that you've had since 2002 would fly way different than a 170 roc straight off the shelf.

I have, but I consider it to be user error. :)

I'd agree that turning over a TeeRex would indicate OAT, except there are some flippy TeeRex out there. I had some TeeRex a few years back that were flippier than a Wraith. So I really don't know what to tell you.

TeeRex is one of the least consistent molds...for a lot of reasons...like mold changes etc. But I've got two that fly NOTHING alike.

I've also had some discs that are a tad more overstable than advertised and are PERFECT. Had a wraith that was just MONEY and every other one is either more LSS or less HSS...and annoying.

\/\/