• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Have you ever seen...

aj4heels

While having an average round at my home course today and hitting trees time and time again I came up with this question. I know that any of us that are being honest have hit hundreds of trees, and at first this question may seem silly.

Have you ever seen a tree on a course that has been severely damage or killed due to so many hits from discs?

Not killed, but the tree just off the tee to the right of 6 at Iroquois park has HUNDREDS of scars on it from people nailing it with their drives...

I do believe there are two trees right off of a tee box here that are not going to make it. They are very tiny...

Scars only, a small tree at Elon Park in Elon might be killed if the hitting continues at this rate. Id say if the tree is smaller and the number of times it gets hit is greater than the rate it is growing, than it is in jeopardy of getting killed.

there have been several. my favorite was at hole nine at vineland there was no bark left on the tree due to the number of discs that hit it. unfortunately the owners cut it down because they hit it during rounds too much.

Several scars on many trees at almost every course I have played. Only some small trees that I have seen major effects on.

In Japan they only use 150g disc and lower, its the law. I think to save the trees.

We ave several trees where the bark is completely gone from the middle section of the tree.

Big Eau Pleine is a relatively new course near me. The course was developed in a huge county park that is mainly forest mixed with a bit of prairie, and was designed with minimal environmental impact (looking for natural fairways, etc). There are saplings on almost every fairway with wire fences around them to protect these trees from disc hits - the hope is that these saplings will flourish, and eventually become part of the design of the course.

Just thought I would throw this out there - some courses are developing trees rather than just banging plastic into them :)

ive seen several that are starting to die out bc of disc-2-tree mutilation... but i havnt been playing long enough to eventually see one die....although i have seen several that were cut down because of no good, never better than an am, douchers

Didnt kill a tree. But after throwing a thumber with my Z Flick off a hill. I found my disc like this. It definitely cut some wood. It let out a nice creak when I pulled it out. Still use it all the time just put a lil scratch in it where it hit a nail in the post!
logsplitter4.jpg

logsplitter1.jpg

logsplitter3.jpg

logspliter2.jpg

dude that is sweet as hell....i had a ctp contest to decide who won 2nd place cash and decided i would throw the cheap way and thumb it...well the other guy threw and was 40ft away, and then i step up and hit the target and win the cash, i was pretty stoked

Yeah Andrew, getting to that crucial 5th post. you'll be at par status in no time. Too bad no one is really answering the question you thought of earlier today except NatiBuckeye. It fits you that a sports fan would answer your question.

I have seen several trees that are mutilated because of discs. There was a pine I saw somewhere that was oozing sap down one side just from discs hitting it. I love the trees at La Mirada that have tons of scars on them. I have never seen a tree that died because of it though.

Yeah, I have seen trees that are mutilated because of discs, but does anyone know of a tree having completely died because it was hit with so many discs???

I don't think it is possible to kill a mature tree with discs, but if a tree is in a certain spot so that many discs hit it you should be able to at least see wear marks or chunks missing out of one side of the trunk.

after many years they do die...ask someone who has played since the 70's and still does...they will tell you bayville in va beach used to have hundreds more trees

There is a tree on the original course at Hudson Mills (Hole 15?) that is severely scarred, and is either dead or on its way there. I'd imagine the death/near death is from the disc scars, but I'm no tree doctor ;)

This discussion sounds like a good reason not to place your tee pads right in front of good trees. There are a few on courses near me that have hundreds if not thousands of little scars, just because they're right off the front of a tee box. Some of the scars are so high I don't know how people got them up that high with enough velocity to make a scar. I expect these to die the death of a thousand cuts. Kinda sad, really.