• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Heading to Birmingham AL

ru4por

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Needing a retirement road trip. Random draw chose Birmingham. Looking for insight on courses, food, beer, entertainment and attractions. We will probably be down there for around 5 -7 days.

We have changed our mind, due to lodging availability and location. :thmbup:

Checked your courses played. So I'll speak on these ones first.

Echo Valley- Must play!!! So good
Ceaser Ford Champ. if time allows is well worth it, the other 9 is just bagger bonus stuff. It's there though.

Stonelick SP is worth a look. A bit higher rated than I'd give it but solid.

Lincoln Ridge should 100% be on the agenda, even without the ridge holes, though those were the most epic imo, fun course. Erosion/landslide issues here. I liked it almost/evenly with Idlewild.

South Fork Park is one of the top 9er's I've played. Not your normal 9, that's for sure. I'd recommend it.

Hidden Ridge is right there too, haven't played it but hit up Innocentcrook for current conditions, b ut it sounds/looks/and I've heard is good. Well worth looking into.

Happy retirement, and keep us in the loop. :thmbup:

In addition to Wolfhaley's suggestions:

Cedar Hill Park in Nashville: Enjoyable and consistently challenging round.

Inverness Disc Golf Park in Birminhgam: Well-designed course on a beautiful plot of forested land with plenty of elevation. This was right in my wheelhouse.

Courses on your direct route that I have not played but hope to:

Severen Lang, Charlie Vettiner, and Ryan's Course around Louisville KY
Holler in the Hills (DGCR #24, but check current conditions) near Brownsville KY
Oggwood in Cedar Hill TN
Cane Ridge x 2 in Nashville TN
Kudzu Cove, east of Huntsville AL
Clay DGC near Birmingham AL

You could also contact Wellsbranch250 about playing V-Rock in Owens Cross Roads AL, although it is listed as "no pets" :(

If you take a slightly longer route through Indiana:

Mastodon DGC in Fort Wayne is a fun, flat, mostly wooded round.

Other courses that I hope to play on that route:

Boylan Acres near Indianapolis IN
Patoka Lake, Niehaus Park, Prides Creek Park, and Mesker Park in southern Indiana.

I hope you have a great trip!

You guys rock. I, of course, look up the courses, read the reviews. You guys are always a couple on the top of my reviewer lists.....wellsbranch too. Thanks again for the insight.

Quick note about Holler in the Hills: I absolutely loved that course, but there have been changes since it got those lofty ratings. The original owner/designer is no longer in charge for reasons I won't go into and while the course was in limbo they logged at least part of the property. Sounds like it's not being maintained the way it used to either.

I think there were more changes, but I don't remember the details. My impression was that it was a significant change and not for the better.

Lincoln Ridge should 100% be on the agenda, even without the ridge holes, though those were the most epic imo, fun course. Erosion/landslide issues here. I liked it almost/evenly with Idlewild.

Idlewild is the bully that beats you up and takes your lunch money.

Lincoln Ridge is your grandma that beats you at cards Every. Single. Game.

Lincoln Ridge is just fun discing, pure and simple.

Not sure of your path... But if you want a few courses with more ahem birdie opportunities... check out

Urbana hilltop in Urbana
Buck creek in Springfield
Vineyard in Cincy
Winton woods cincy-great short course.

I've shot under to well under par on these. And if I can... Plus they all offer decent variety.

Have fun!

Needing a retirement road trip. Random draw chose Birmingham. Looking for insight on courses, food, beer, entertainment and attractions. We will probably be down there for around 5 -7 days.

We have changed our mind, due to lodging availability and location. :thmbup:
I'll be in Birmingham for about 6 weeks for work. Any hindsight advice?

Checked your courses played. So I'll speak on these ones first.

Echo Valley- Must play!!! So good
Ceaser Ford Champ. if time allows is well worth it, the other 9 is just bagger bonus stuff. It's there though.

Stonelick SP is worth a look. A bit higher rated than I'd give it but solid.

South Fork Park is one of the top 9er's I've played. Not your normal 9, that's for sure. I'd recommend it.

Hidden Ridge is right there too, haven't played it but hit up Innocentcrook for current conditions, b ut it sounds/looks/and I've heard is good. Well worth looking into.

Happy retirement, and keep us in the loop. :thmbup:
Besides golf, anything fun out there for deadheads?

I'll be in Birmingham for about 6 weeks for work. Any hindsight advice?

Are you playing any golf? We had a lot of fun downtown. They have some music venues, nothing really of interest to me, while I was there. Spring should be in full swing when you go, hiking in the area would be excellent. We ate at a couple really nice places, I would recommend both:

BLUEPRINT ON 3RD

3000 3rd Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35233
205-479-3000

HOURS
Monday - Thursday: 5pm - 9pm
Friday - Saturday: 5pm - 10pm
Sunday: Closed

https://www.blueprinton3rd.com/about-us-1

El Barrio

2211 2nd Ave N,
Birmingham, AL 35203

Hours
Tuesday-Thursday hours: 11:30am – 8:00pm
Friday-Saturday hours: 11:30am – 9:00pm

https://www.elbarriobirmingham.com/

Are you playing any golf? We had a lot of fun downtown. They have some music venues, nothing really of interest to me, while I was there. Spring should be in full swing when you go, hiking in the area would be excellent. We ate at a couple really nice places, I would recommend both:

BLUEPRINT ON 3RD

3000 3rd Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35233
205-479-3000

HOURS
Monday - Thursday: 5pm - 9pm
Friday - Saturday: 5pm - 10pm
Sunday: Closed

https://www.blueprinton3rd.com/about-us-1

El Barrio

2211 2nd Ave N,
Birmingham, AL 35203

Hours
Tuesday-Thursday hours: 11:30am – 8:00pm
Friday-Saturday hours: 11:30am – 9:00pm

https://www.elbarriobirmingham.com/
I'm absolutely packing some discs! It's one of the best perks of my job. I got to play Maple Hill "working".

Besides golf, anything fun out there for deadheads?

Not sure. All those courses I listed are much further north. Never been to Alabama actually.

I'm absolutely packing some discs! It's one of the best perks of my job. I got to play Maple Hill "working".

I agree with Bogey. Don't miss Inverness. I thought Clay was terrific as well. LeMaster is worth the run. I really thought George Ward had this cool, aged, old school urban vibe that was pretty cool too. We had a terrific time down there.

Latest posts