• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help a dyeing super noob!

steveo69

Eagle Member
So guys I need some help. The thread made for this won't let me post even if I check the stupid little box. I'm going to attempt my first dye. I have a clear cryztal challenger to work with. Below is a pic of a design I'm thinking of using. I would like to make a negative of it. (I.E. the black clear and the rest of the disc my color.) Question being is it possible to do without getting the dye on the bottom of the disc? Should I just mask off the whole bottom with painters tape? Should I just do it as a bottom dye instead? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Steve.

Attachments

• flower 1.jpg
    flower 1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 15
If you do a hot dip, you'll just float the disc face down in the dye, unless you splash or get some on the back with your fingers, dye will never hit the bottom of the disc.

If you do a hot dip, you'll just float the disc face down in the dye, unless you splash or get some on the back with your fingers, dye will never hit the bottom of the disc.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I do this I will not have the little handels made by the vinyl?

I never use handles made out of vinyl. I just use my hands and press on the inside rim in opposite directions to lift the disc, then float the disc in the dye.

Ok. Next question. I would like to do a marbleing would it look better if I dye the disc orange and then marbeled it with blue? Or would it work better the other way around? Also can I dye the color and let it dry with the vinyl still on it then marble it let it and remove the vinyl? Or just marble the disc after the vinyl is pulled off?

I've seen some marbling on the clearer plastics, but I think it was a vector, champ/cryztal/z/opto don't generally take well to marbling from what I've tried and seen around here. Star/esp/GL and stuff like that takes it pretty well though. If you wanted to marble, you'd do the orange and blue together at the same time in your shaving cream. Otherwise your marbling color will have to go over the color you hot dipped, so you'd probably end up with something brown/purple. Dyeing isn't like paint, you're putting a new colorant in the plastic itself, not a coat of color on top of the plastic.

You can leave the vinyl on after the hot dip, just make sure to rub everything down before you marble in case an edge came up while the disc cooled.

Ok. Thanks for the advice. So I'm guessing that if I tryed to marble over the orange with white I would end up with something like a lighter orange or a pinkish shade.

I've mainly marbled on Opto and Champ plastics, and they worked fine for me. The trick is concentrating the dye and letting it set in it overnight. I may be picturing the design wrong, but I think dyeing the pattern on the underside and marbling the top would be the coolest way to do it. Marbling the bottom and dyeing the image on top would be even cooler, but I can't figure out how to marble the bottoms of discs with shaving cream properly.
Also, I'd pull the vinyl off after the hot-dip and before the marbling. Once heated, the vinyl consistency changes a bit and I find that leaving it on will only leave behind more adhesive residue.
White dye does nothing, so I wouldn't even try to use it.

I've mainly marbled on Opto and Champ plastics, and they worked fine for me. The trick is concentrating the dye and letting it set in it overnight. I may be picturing the design wrong, but I think dyeing the pattern on the underside and marbling the top would be the coolest way to do it. Marbling the bottom and dyeing the image on top would be even cooler, but I can't figure out how to marble the bottoms of discs with shaving cream properly.
Also, I'd pull the vinyl off after the hot-dip and before the marbling. Once heated, the vinyl consistency changes a bit and I find that leaving it on will only leave behind more adhesive residue.
White dye does nothing, so I wouldn't even try to use it.

Would trying to marble the bottom work with the plastic bag way of doing it?

I've never tried that method, and therefore couldn't say. Maybe check the marbling thread and ask around there. I don't even do much marbling as it is, and know that there are several people here who are much better at it than me.

I've never tried that method, and therefore couldn't say. Maybe check the marbling thread and ask around there. I don't even do much marbling as it is, and know that there are several people here who are much better at it than me.

Thanks for the info.

It could work but you may end up with some dye bleeding onto the top of the disc. You may want to mask the top of the disc if you are going to try this. When I use plastic bags, I usually end up with some dye getting on the back of the rim (when dyeing the fron of the disc).

Alright I think I'm going to dye the pattern on the bottom and do the marbling on top. After reading threads for the last few hours I have yet to find any descriptions of dyeing the bottom of the disc. Should I mask off everything I don't want dyed? I'm assuming that you would just poor some dye into the disc. But I'm concerned about getting the excess out and it getting all over parts I don't want dyed any tips on this?

Also how much dye should be put into the bottom of the disc? Just a little to cover the bottom or should it be deeper?

I've done a solid color dip dye by just turning the disc over in the pan..it dyed the edges and I would float some dye on the inside of the dome while dying the top it turned out like a color changing disc when my buddy threw it

Alright I think I'm going to dye the pattern on the bottom and do the marbling on top. After reading threads for the last few hours I have yet to find any descriptions of dyeing the bottom of the disc. Should I mask off everything I don't want dyed? I'm assuming that you would just poor some dye into the disc. But I'm concerned about getting the excess out and it getting all over parts I don't want dyed any tips on this?

Mask off the parts of the bottom you don't want dye (if you are concerned about getting the dye out, wrap your mask around the back rim so you can pour the dye out the back without getting on parts you don't want dyed). Heat your dye up and then put in enough dye to cover the back.

Latest posts