• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

help/advice

hey guys, i frolfed once last summer and probably have already been about 10 times this summer and i love it! I have been browsing these forums alot for about a week and finally decided to register. Im basically just looking for some advice on discs in general.

So far i have had a champion monster (rip in a lake) and am currently using a XD putter and a DX Valkyrie driver which I really like so far.

Any suggestions on other drivers to try (or discs in general) would be appreciated. I live in Illinois and have played at Jericho, Campton, and Highland Park, with the majority of my play at Campton.

Thanks in advance.

If you like the DX Valk, I'd get one in champion plastic and give it a try. It will be like throwing a different disc. Another one you might try is the sidewinder. Flys pretty long and pretty straight.
You found the best site to go to for DG. You'll find all the help you need here.

Careful calling it frolf unless you are using Wham-o discs, which I might add are the worst discs in the world, but the only ones that can turly be called frisbees.

On another note, the sidewinder is great for someone like you. Champion plastic is the way to go. I would also look at getting a TL or TeeBird or an Eagle. You will also want a mid range here shortly and for that I would reccomend a Skeeter or Spider.

Ok thanks. What would be the main difference with a champion valk, will it improve my throw if I learn how to throw that type?

LOL at the sidewinder I found a tye dye champion sidewinder but there was a name on it of someone who is from my town. Sooo beleiving in karma, I am going to try to give it back it might help me get my first ace, never know!

LOL at the sidewinder I found a tye dye champion sidewinder but there was a name on it of someone who is from my town. Sooo beleiving in karma, I am going to try to give it back it might help me get my first ace, never know![/QUOTE]

So throw it a few times before you give it back...But it may be old and broken in. So if you get a new one it might not fly quite the same.

I did throw it a few times, my first throw I overthrew a 225 ft basket so I might invest in my own chqnion sidewinder. There's just something about it when I throw that doesn't feel right just because it's not mine.

Careful calling it frolf unless you are using Wham-o discs, which I might add are the worst discs in the world, but the only ones that can turly be called frisbees.

On another note, the sidewinder is great for someone like you. Champion plastic is the way to go. I would also look at getting a TL or TeeBird or an Eagle. You will also want a mid range here shortly and for that I would reccomend a Skeeter or Spider.
i would defiantly agree with the skeeter and the teebird. teebird and skeeter in dx without a doubt. for a midrange i would most defiantly suggest a roc.
If you like the DX Valk, I'd get one in champion plastic and give it a try. It will be like throwing a different disc. Another one you might try is the sidewinder. Flys pretty long and pretty straight.
You found the best site to go to for DG. You'll find all the help you need here.

i absolutely hated my dx and pro valk but love my champion one. i would say get the light one (150g ) because it flies truer to form (in my opinion anyways)

I would put that Monster away for a while, inless you want a super overstable driver. That disc takes a lot of power to throw.

IMO, slower discs in baseline plastic like the DX Cheetah, DX Ace and Polaris LS (though not technically baseline plastic) are the easiest drivers with which to learn. I'd also pick a stable mid like a Roc, Buzzz, Coyote or something of that nature as well. Work on throwing your putters, mids and slow fairway drivers and pushing out how far you can get all of them.

Having played Campton myself, I'd say a stable mid would be an excellent choice for that course if that is where you are logging a lot of your time. I played my Buzzz on most of the holes there, only getting out the driver once for a thumber, and once for a forehand shot. My champion Leopard work very well for most of that course, as it is 100% about technique there, not distance. You want a disc that you can absolutely control for there, plus it is going to help you on other courses as well.

Best thing to do is keep it simple. If starting a friend, I give them an avair, buzz, valkyrie. Few of them played ultimate so have some forhand power so I gave them something stable like an orc or wraith. I think players with 2 or less years should have no more than 5 discs, putter, mid, overstable, stable, and understable.

I would look at the weight and buy all of your drivers the same weight just so you dont have to worry about that part of the game.

I would agree with keeping it simple. A putter (maybe 2 or 3 of the same type so you can practice), midrange, a fairway driver, and one of the slower distance drivers. You really don't want/need a large selection when you're starting (hell, you don't even need more than that when you're good...its just convenience...)

Anyways, I would recommend:
Putter: Aviar, Wizard, Magnet...there are several threads for these...take one of them and stick with it.
Mid-ranges: Most people agree its down to a Buzzz or a Roc, though I've seen people swearing by Skeeters recently
Fairway driver: Leopard/Eagle and/or Teebird/TL (I'm only familiar with Innova's fairways, but there are others that would work equally well)
Distance driver: Valkyrie/Viking or Sidewinder (I love mine) if you're just beginning

Remember, what everybody telling you on here is just a preference. There is no set answer, it just comes down to what you're comfortable with. Usually it is easier for people to throw understable discs (right side of innova's flight chart) while beginning, but if you're throwing forehand you may want to try stable/overstable discs (middle to left side)

I typically throw my buzzz for about 150-250ft...and my putter inside of that. Essentially a fairway driver is capable of reaching 350+, but it should be used for controlled shots, so I throw them for about 250-350. Anything longer than that I throw distance drivers. I'll throw them at less distance than 350 though...there is some overlap between all of them. I just throw what I'm feeling accurate and comfortable with that day. You'll get a feel for what you can do with each after playing with them for a few rounds.

thanks, so i should pick up a fairway then im guessing because i only used my distance driver, and at campton the baskets are no more than 225 ft.

Here's another piece of advice for you, try out different weights. Right now I really like the Innova TeeRex and Destroyer. I carry 2 of each in my bag, 1 at 150g and another between 168-172. I highly recommend the TeeRex, in Star plastic if you can get it. Everyone I know who's thrown it...man, woman, newbie and veteran loves it. It's a cool disc.
I'll also throw my two cents in on putters...my game has changed since I got a Gateway Warlock SSS (Super Stupid Soft)...Gateway's are really cool putters and it's really soft and grippy.
For midrange, I'd tell you to go with a Coyote, but Rocs and Buzz's are so popular you almost have to start with one of those. I have 5 Rocs and 1 of them usually makes it into my bag each round...

thanks everyone.
question about midway and fairway drivers, what distances are they meant to be used from?
Especally as a new player you should be working on throwing all of your discs, especally putters, as far as you can with a full driving motion. It's not obvious from the names, but mids and putters are meant to be driven with.

A very stripped down way to look at it is you should throw a putter whenever you can, if you can't reach it with a putter next look at your mid, if you can't reach it with your mid next look at your fariway driver, if you can't reach it with your fairway driver consdier a distance driver (which the Valk is). In other words, always throw the slowest disc you can.

In reality there are some grey areas, especally when your ranges with each disc overlap, but that strategy is a good start.