• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hey Old Timers...

Our first discs came out of ponds and creeks from the courses with water hazards. Most didn't have names on them...if they did we returned them. This was mid to late 80s. In 1990 (i think) the Flight Center opened in Minneapolis. In 1991 I took over sales for the MFA and I was the guy at the course selling them out of my trunk. I did that till spring of 1994.

I still have old Innova flight charts before the flight number systems. I've posted that before on another thread.

I love reading all of this, and I only wish I played 10, 20, and 30 years ago like some of you have. Hopefully 20 years from now my sons are the next Nikko, Will, and Feldberg, and they're on here talking about their old man and his obsession for Gateway putters "back in the day."

^^^The baskets are better and the best courses are much more challenging now than in medieval lid-tossing days. Though I could throw a 175g Ultimate from end zone to end zone back then.

Last edited:
In 1994, my first discs were used discs given to me by other players. After that, most of my discs I had won at tournaments. The local club president, Timmy Gill, and GGGT each regularly held tournaments. I rarely bought any discs back then. If I bought any, they were from the local club president. I loved going to his house because he had hundreds of discs stacked up all over his basement and we would sit and fondle all of the plastic.

Last edited:
Wall City bags were huge. Round or Cube.

Since I quit playing for 10 years my Wall City Cube is still in great shape. I bought it at a HyVee grocery store in the mid to late 90s. One of the managers was a disc golfer and had a little section in the store selling discs and supplies.

Someone mentioned Brian Malone. I bought Discraft and Lightning from Brian wholesale for $3.95 a piece. Bought Innova directly. That's when I was selling for the MFA. He was from Iowa.

First bag was the Original Round Bag. Bought from John Houck when I was ordering one year for the World's Biggest Disc Golf Tournament.

You folks are mere children. When I first started playing in the late 70's, I had to walk 8 miles each way in the snow to get to the course.

OK, the snow and walking part are lies but when I first started playing golf in about 1977, we were using Whamo frisbees which came in three weights, 119 g, 141 g and the big one (165 g)??? that guys used for free style tricks. They were just frisbees for playing at the park or beach or whatever. The first basket course had just been built in California and my boss saw an article about it in a Parks and Recreation Journal so he decided we should build a course. So we designed and built the first permanent course in the northwest.

Within the next year or two, (three?) Whamo came out with 119 g and 141 g frisbees with frisbee players on them on them. I have two of them in brand new condition. They're called the Whamo 40 Mold 77 National Championships. They weren't really for golf but were made for the national championships for freestyle, distance, accuracy, etc. The national championship were held in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. I'm not sure what year disc golf what added to that competetion?

So there you have a little history going back a ways.

First bag = original round bag (which is still my main bag)

First discs = In 1993, bought a Cobra, 86 mold softie, orange 71 mold and yellow Tracer(?) from Roy Doar on a field at UNH after he introduced me to modern discs and a basket. Still have the Cobra and 71 mold.

At UNH in 93-96, a bunch of us would put in an order from Discovering the World, and would get a couple "mystery discs" for like $3 or $4 each. One of them was a 20 year anniversary Ultimate lid from 1988 I still have. We would get the box of discs delivered to school and it was like Christmas.

Wright Life was pretty cool too, I vaguely remember their catalog being nicer than DTW but not as extensive a selection?!?

Because I first played Frisbee golf with a lid on an object course at USM in '79, which is probably before you were born. I didn't play with discs 'til '02 because I couldn't throw them.
Thanks for the snark, and right back atcha.:|

Woah woah take it easy. That comment was meant in good fun and had absolutely no malicious snark intended. I apologize if you took it that way. Just pointing out something that i thought was funny.

I see you're in Portland, we should play a round to clear the air.

Back in the day when there was only one kind of plastic and vendors or clubs only sold discs, when you placed well in AM1 or AM2, your gift certificate or voucher would simply say 12 or whatever number of discs you got to take from the available discs.

Woah woah take it easy. That comment was meant in good fun and had absolutely no malicious snark intended. I apologize if you took it that way. Just pointing out something that i thought was funny.

I see you're in Portland, we should play a round to clear the air.

Its OK---just turned 54 and I get irritable when people call me "old"[not you]---and its happening more often, even though I'm a wildfire fighter, kayak in the Gorge, etc.:\
I was just going to suggest the same thing. I'm in MS 'til early Feb., but I'll PM you when I get back to the NW. Might have a DGCR bagtag by then too!:thmbup:

Last edited:
You folks are mere children. When I first started playing in the late 70's, I had to walk 8 miles each way in the snow to get to the course.

OK, the snow and walking part are lies but when I first started playing golf in about 1977, we were using Whamo frisbees which came in three weights, 119 g, 141 g and the big one (165 g)??? that guys used for free style tricks. They were just frisbees for playing at the park or beach or whatever. The first basket course had just been built in California and my boss saw an article about it in a Parks and Recreation Journal so he decided we should build a course. So we designed and built the first permanent course in the northwest.

Within the next year or two, (three?) Whamo came out with 119 g and 141 g frisbees with frisbee players on them on them. I have two of them in brand new condition. They're called the Whamo 40 Mold 77 National Championships. They weren't really for golf but were made for the national championships for freestyle, distance, accuracy, etc. The national championship were held in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. I'm not sure what year disc golf what added to that competetion?

So there you have a little history going back a ways.

You don't have that much on me...just a year.;) Which lid did you start with? I did the 141g for a very long time and later ended with with the black 150g. Never went higher for some reason.

Its OK---just turned 54 and I get irritable when people call me "old"[not you]---and its happening more often, even though I'm a wildfire fighter, kayak in the Gorge, etc.:\
I was just going to suggest the same thing. I'm in MS 'til early Feb., but I'll PM you when I get back to the NW.:thmbup:
This is why i almost never comment on forums, too easy to miss-communicate. I should probably use more smilies or something. I'll look forward to your PM.

Discovering The World was the place pre interwebs.
Especially if you liked Innova.
Ask Molner, he'll tell ya.
I'm just glad I lived in L.A. back then. :D