• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hit by a disc

The only problem with this sport getting more popular from a spectator point of view, is the inevitable spectator getting hit in the head causing a major injury. Law suits, course closures, possible tour closures, etc, it's not a question of if, it's more like when and if everyone involved is financially prepared to handle it.

Sounds like baseball's foul ball problem. Don't be in harms way or somewhere possibly in harms way if you aren't willing to pay attention, or would be unable to move quickly if you were in danger.

Never been hit and have never hit anyone, I yell Fore before I throw if any one is out in front of me.

When I was as new player my family and 2 very close friends went out to play. My buddy jokingly threw a disc at my other friend and hit him softly. No harm no foul. Unfortunately I was the idiot that decided to play the same game and tossed a forehand at him. Not knowing my own power at that point I overcompensated and threw a little harder than I meant to. I caught him in the leg right above the knee with a ace race zombee. Instant purple (almost black) bruise straight across his leg. He had the same bruise for a month and said he could feel the spot for at least another month. This was roughly 30-50% power from about 10' away. I can't imagine what a full force 75 mph forehand would do to someone. I felt terrible as soon as I made contact.

Yea, there are times I've been tempted to throw their f**(&ing disc back at them.
i witnessed this once on a parallel fairway; there is a blind spot (pit) up that fairway where a group was searching for a lost disc & the next group on the tee didn't see them & hit one of the guys right in the head. he got up after getting knocked down & chucked the disc in frustration/anger, not really back at them. they didn't even know until they came down the fairway & saw them. the thrower was asking where's my disc, & i pointed out the direction it was thrown. they guy hit was in a lot of pain & that group quit.

i witnessed this once on a parallel fairway; there is a blind spot (pit) up that fairway where a group was searching for a lost disc & the next group on the tee didn't see them & hit one of the guys right in the head. he got up after getting knocked down & chucked the disc in frustration/anger, not really back at them. they didn't even know until they came down the fairway & saw them. the thrower was asking where's my disc, & i pointed out the direction it was thrown. they guy hit was in a lot of pain & that group quit.

These situations happen. Most of the time I have some idiot yell FORE and throw at me, we're in plain sight.. holing out and they can't wait a minute for us to all putt.

New to the sport, kinda scary, when you are dealing with people of different temperaments, and abilities.
Not knowing any better, my first time out, I had to be told not to tee off, before group in front, was finished putting.
Now I am very careful when throwing, and having heard these stories, I will try to be more alert, when walking the fairway.

I was involved with another activity that had a similar danger.
Radio controlled gliders. The competition ones are made of carbon fiber, with lead weight in the sharp nose.
Older fliers, who's reflexes are not so great, and new fliers who's skills are not so great, were always making people duck and cover.