• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hit the hobo?

Please be assured my flippant term is not trying to strip someone of their dignity and I am sure there are many reasons why someone would be living on the streets and in some cases it would be a better option to avoid what they left behind.

My original post was in concern because I know that the smaller of the two parks in the city close to where I live is notorious for homeless/drunk in public types and is the poor relation to the other course in terms of use and skill level so DG is not always #1 priority and it can be a little sketchy.

The park I use most often has some down on their luck types who esentially are there to survive one more night if they can't get in the rescue mission. have seen some cardboard and sleeping equipment if I am playing early enough but they are usually mindful of other park users and will stay out of the way and not bother anyone.

Nope, I have never run into any homeless people on the courses I play. I have definitely had to let picnickers/"lovebirds" know that they were set up in the middle of a fairway, though. They have never been mad about it. In fact, they usually thank me for the heads up. They don't want to be in the way, and they certainly don't want to get hit by discs.

It's not fair and very insensitive to call a human "the hobo". They are fellow human beings that share the same world as you and me who happen to be homeless for reasons unbeknown to us. This thread strips them of any dignity and portrays them as animals to feed or to avoid because they may bite. Check your privilege and show some respect.

News flash: The world/life is not fair, never has been, never will be....people are insensitive jerks, always have been, always will be....

No amount of "political correctness" will ever change that..."check your privilege", REALLY, do you even hear yourself when you speak?

This "social justice" mindset is mind boggling....what about "personal responsibility"?
Oh wait; how can one be responsible for one's life, when the entire world is against you?

I did happen across a "fellow human being" that was "sharing my world" at a basket at Brahan Spring Park in Huntsville. He was there for "reasons unbeknownst to me", and I did not want to "strip him of his dignity", by asking him to move for a few minutes. I thought about offering him some food, but I thought he may bite....so I skipped the hole, in an effort not to "show off my privilege".

^^^You know, when you engage pc nutjobbers, you only encourage their particular brand of self-obsessed obnoxiousness.

The "indigent personnel" who hang out at Ann Mo in Boise are not only aware of the danger of discs: they've also gotten onto the "find discs for cash" gravy train to keep the HG Hurricanes flowing.

Where I play right now, most park users don't seem to be aware that there is a disc golf course, likely because the course doesn't get a ton of traffic. In the past two months, I have seen people playing catch, a grandpa teaching his grandson baseball, folks flying kites, etc. All of these are pretty happy to move out of the way, though somewhat puzzled at why I'm chucking a disc around them. But my favorites are a family that set up for a picnic in the middle of the fairway (and then abandoned their cooler/blankets/chairs), and a professional photographer who set up her "Christmas backdrop" in the middle of a 200' par 3. I played "around" the picnic stuff since there were no potential errant disc victims, but I skipped the Christmas hole.

^^^You know, when you engage pc nutjobbers, you only encourage their particular brand of self-obsessed obnoxiousness.

I know this....but it is challenging to try to figure out why their brains don't function normally.
My guess is a markedly liberal education, where one is taught about inclusiveness and diversity, instead of readin', writin', and arithmetic. No longer are students trained to think for themselves, but are inculcated into a false world of political correctness.

I never run into any homeless but have seen a couple of camps along the course in the woods. A small segment of the group that takes care of the course generally "clears" the camp sites, disposing of anything they find.

Where I play right now, most park users don't seem to be aware that there is a disc golf course, likely because the course doesn't get a ton of traffic. In the past two months, I have seen people playing catch, a grandpa teaching his grandson baseball, folks flying kites, etc. All of these are pretty happy to move out of the way, though somewhat puzzled at why I'm chucking a disc around them. But my favorites are a family that set up for a picnic in the middle of the fairway (and then abandoned their cooler/blankets/chairs), and a professional photographer who set up her "Christmas backdrop" in the middle of a 200' par 3. I played "around" the picnic stuff since there were no potential errant disc victims, but I skipped the Christmas hole.

You could have had fun with the Christmas one! Well aimed drive about 3 feet above their heads and watch them scatter as the camera flashes!

****Memories!!!

News flash: The world/life is not fair, never has been, never will be....people are insensitive jerks, always have been, always will be....

No amount of "political correctness" will ever change that..."check your privilege", REALLY, do you even hear yourself when you speak?

This "social justice" mindset is mind boggling....what about "personal responsibility"?
Oh wait; how can one be responsible for one's life, when the entire world is against you?

I did happen across a "fellow human being" that was "sharing my world" at a basket at Brahan Spring Park in Huntsville. He was there for "reasons unbeknownst to me", and I did not want to "strip him of his dignity", by asking him to move for a few minutes. I thought about offering him some food, but I thought he may bite....so I skipped the hole, in an effort not to "show off my privilege".
Newsflash: I never said the world was fair or proclaimed it eventually would be. Also I most certainly don't "hear myself when I speak" when I'm typing on a forum. Liberal or not it sounds like you could use some education.

Now let me tell you about personal responsibility. Because a human is homeless does not give me the right to **** on them. I feel responsible/obligated to treat them with the same respect as anyone else. Equality is a simple concept that people like you turn your nose to because you are spoiled brats with this false sense of privilege. You sound like a little kid. The world isn't fair so you don't have to be either? Is that really how you were raised?

Because a human is homeless does not give me the right to **** on them. I feel responsible/obligated to treat them with the same respect as anyone else. Equality is a simple concept

It's official, me and hook_nuts do agree on something.
Just because someone is homeless does not make them less human or my responsibility towards them less humane.

I'd wager it was middle/high schoolers but I have no evidence for or against this.

No, they just paint the wall, and harass Brent, they never touched the targets.

Don't you remember when Keith took the Bobcat back past the basket and up into the woods north of there ? There was alot of old junk from people living in there. They didn't like the basket. I think they thought it was an antenna to communicate with the alien leader, so they tried to disable it by bashing it repeatedly.

Mostly this thread exposes peoples' need to better understand the differences between hobos and bums.

One hole in Livermore, CA, maybe it's the last, has a big bush/thicket as the main fairway obstacle. For at least several days, while I was in town, there was a camp inside of it. I never saw the resident, but at least a sleeping bag, I think a pillow, maybe a few other items.

Playing with my kids, etc. I was always a bit nervous around it. Not wanting to startle anybody, or overly intrude. But, there must be plenty of discs that land in the thicket (dead center of the fairway), and I did want my discs back.

It was thick enough, and the camp located in such a way, that I didn't feel there was a big chance of injuring anyone. But, you certainly wouldn't want that.

I've heard the course in town in Santa Cruz has a had lot, maybe on and off over the years. Berkeley?

I'm scruffy enough sometimes when I play that I could maybe be mistaken for a homeless guy in newish boots. And I'm a college prof!

Never saw anything in Livermore, but for the last year or so there was a good size group of folks living at Chabot park in San Leandro, in the bushes next to hole 9. (about 10 miles away) They always stayed at a picnic table on the hole and were generally mellow and understood what was going on. Towards the end they would yell at folks looking for discs in the bushes near their stashes. Somehow, they were mostly all rousted out. I guess yelling at legit park patrons is not conducive to maintaining a long term camp.....

Mostly this thread exposes peoples' need to better understand the differences between hobos and bums.

Yea, I've heard no mention of guys walking the train tracks carrying their discs in a bindle, so I imagine everyone is talking about homeless people.

The closest I have come to seeing a hobo was some guy drinking a beer with 4 discs in a nutsac, but I'm pretty sure he was just playing the part.

And we kindly tried to tell a group of them that they were in danger of being hit because from the tee box, disc golfers cant see them on these next two wooded holes. No good, week after week they still congregate around the same baskets.

LARPers are a strange breed, you have to speak to them in a language that they understand. Introduce yourself as "Lord Nerdstomper, Bane of the Eternal Virgins" and challenge them to armed combat, loser leaves the disc golf course for eternity! Don't forget your Pool Noodle of Fiery Might!

I once had a hobo crash at my pad. He made our roommate and I some mac & cheese (which was great because we were lazy and probably drunk), then did all the dishes, swept up the kitchen, and tidied all the furniture.

Hobos are i-ite. :|

LARPers are a strange breed, you have to speak to them in a language that they understand. Introduce yourself as "Lord Nerdstomper, Bane of the Eternal Virgins" and challenge them to armed combat, loser leaves the disc golf course for eternity! Don't forget your Pool Noodle of Fiery Might!

Post of the day! :clap:

I once had a hobo crash at my pad. He made our roommate and I some mac & cheese (which was great because we were lazy and probably drunk), then did all the dishes, swept up the kitchen, and tidied all the furniture.

Hobos are i-ite. :|

Yum mac and cheese, where can I find this hobo I'm quite sick and feeling pretty lazy?

Yea, I've heard no mention of guys walking the train tracks carrying their discs in a bindle, so I imagine everyone is talking about homeless people.

The closest I have come to seeing a hobo was some guy drinking a beer with 4 discs in a nutsac, but I'm pretty sure he was just playing the part.

New bag by Salient... "Hobo's bindle"

Last summer I was playing NAD Park, which at one time had a somewhat bad rep for homeless and less savory characters doing illicit deeds. This all disappeared after the course went in, with an occasional exception.

Anyways, we walked up to hole 14, and as I looked down the fairway before throwing, I noticed a plastic grocery bag of stuff and what looked like an abandoned sleeping bag lying 50' up the fairway. This park is really clean so it was unusual to see this. So I throw my drive, hit a tree about 3'down, and my disc kicks right on top of the pile. Next thing I know a guy pops up out of the bag looking around, sees my disc, sees me, and tosses it back toward me as i'm still standing on the box, a little shocked there was a guy there.

Turns out he had no idea he was on a disc golf course. We warned him about the danger, told him where a safer spot would be (behind the box), and he moved there. I ended up feeling pretty bad for that guy, as he seemed pretty meek, maybe even somewhat mentally challenged, and felt the guy was really vulnerable to the dangers that come from being alone and homeless, and meek.

Latest posts