• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HOD 10/11/17 - Sportsmans Hill in Clearwater, MN #17

chevis

flick it
Silver level trusted reviewer
Sportsmans Hill ,Clearwater, MN

Rated 3.19

13Reviews
259 Played
22 Favorited
39 Wishlisted

Course Map

HOLE 17 White:423ft RED:239ft
in wolfhaley's review:"...hole 17 is probably the signature hole with a huge dogleg right. It requires a well placed shot uphill to the landing zone and then another very accurate downhill shot to the pin. Very challenging hole unless you're Simon Lizotte and can throw over everything and crash down on the pin"
and David Mellies says:"The signature #17 hole is shaped like a U up a hill then back down, and requires 2 perfect shots to have any chance at par."
also Martin Dewgarita gives hope:"hole 17 is a very tough 3 (I'd bet a 2 is possible with a perfect thumber, I can see the line, but I've never seen anybody hit it)."
Long TEE:
d39813bc.jpg

Short TEE:
009466a6.jpg

Last edited:
going firebird toward the short tee, then ibex from there, putt out for 3

Short: X Comet
Long: Archer then X Comet or Judge depending on how much was left

Red: rhbh QMS, with a tiny anny to let it fade back, gently, left
White: lucid warden to the red pad, then previous play. depending on placement of drive, maybe move to a Gstar P2 or throw the warden again.

Short: Mako3
Long: I am trying the thumber line Dewgarita mentions. I'll probably miss but it'll be fun.

Are you sure, almost everytime i look at your post it's a cannon or a pure, i wouldn't want to to step out of your comfort zone. I began to think you only owned those two discs.

Short- Emac Truth
Long- Convict RHFH try to get a skip right, then a Emac or Harp

If I care about my score at that point, Tank, Tank, putt

If I don't I'm trying to be a hero and rolling a Tursas. I bet I could hit that line, get around the corner and have a look at a long throw in 2. Even looks like the fairway banks to the right to help me out.

The pictures do not do this hole justice. I have played it a million times. Getting a three feels like a birdie because this should be labeled as a par 4. It is an inverted V with you teeing uphill into a tunnel with a lot of small trees protecting the turn to the right. At the apex of the V, it starts to go back downhill through another tunnel before it opens up by the basket. There is a mando on the right off the tee to prevent early lumberjacking. Your only chance at a three is something that can cut the corner really tight to the right just after the mando, stay clean from kicking off the little trees, and find a very narrow landing strip that will allow you to look down the tunnel. Then you need a precision float down the hill that will neither turn nor fade.

Threes are definitely possibly from those who have a wonderfully accurate short game, but bad things can happen quickly. This and the next hole can really mess up an otherwise good round. A bogey four here may hurt because you know you could have made a three if not for a tree or so, but fives and sixes are just as common. I have carded a two once, but that required a field ace from the top of the apex.

Latest posts