• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade basket help

runnaman

Eagle Member
I need some help finding something to catch my discs. I have the hole basket finished except for the catching device (right now I just have a small plastic thing).

I need something lightweight and functional.

What are some things other people have used? Any suggestions help.

Thanks

(Here's a picture of the basket so far)

Attachments

• basket.jpg
    basket.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 165
I borrowed an idea from EagleChick (I think thats her name, haven't seen her post much) and made a basket frame out of long shelving brackets. I used an old large diameter disc my dog had chewed on for the base of the basket and attached the brackets with nuts and bolts/gorilla glue. For hoops I used an old bike tire and some long pieces of vinyl door molding I wrapped around the brackets and attached with epoxy glue. I only used 8 brackets so the gaps ended up big enough for discs to fit through so I lined the inside with a cut up mesh soccer ball bag.
I'm painting the basket now but I'll share photos and what not when its finished.

I need some help finding something to catch my discs. I have the hole basket finished except for the catching device (right now I just have a small plastic thing).

I need something lightweight and functional.

What are some things other people have used? Any suggestions help.

Thanks

(Here's a picture of the basket so far)

That's sweet! Would you mind sending me a list of the parts used to make that? It's fine if you don't want to. Sweet job!

If you can get you hands on a plastic 55gl drum, that would work great. the diameter should be perfect, and you can cut it with a skill saw to the desired depth. If you have trouble locating one, try a local dairy, they go through tons of them for chemicals and such.

My basket here just has a tire for now but plan on getting some metal and welding it to look more pro like.

The tire when up, was great!

That's sweet! Would you mind sending me a list of the parts used to make that? It's fine if you don't want to. Sweet job!

I'll take some more pictures later and post it in a new thread.

My basket here just has a tire for now but plan on getting some metal and welding it to look more pro like.

The tire when up, was great!

I had a tire, but it's too heavy because I want my basket to be light and as portable as possible.

I'm thinking the 55gl drum is probably the best idea.

search a video on Youtube. You should be able to find a lot of videos helping you make your own basket.

...Can't believe I'm helping a Cubs fan.

lol, :D

How about just cutting the bottom off a plastic trash can and drilling holes in the bottom for when it rains.

guess runnaman got a solid answer for his basket and doesn't check the thread anymore. So I'll ask anyone else, does anyone have experience with plastic chains on a homemade basket? and if so, how do they react compaired to normal chains?

I know you wont hear the ching of the chains, but looking for a comparison of physical results between the two. Looking to make a homemade basket and wondering if the $30+ difference in price is worth settling for plastic chains

I would be worried about blow through with plastic chains. I don't know from experience but I have a feeling the plastic chains wouldn't have enough weight to stand firm. It might be something as simple as doubling up the amount of chains to keep that from happening though. Let us now what you find out if you go the plastic route.

runnaman, are those plastic chains? and if so, do they act like normal metal chains?

Sorry, I haven't checked this thread in a while.

The chains are not plastic but they are painted. I can't remember how much they cost, but it was much cheaper than any of the other chain.

On another note: I got a 55 gal drum today and finished my basket. WOOT. The picture is 99% accurate. I painted the drum black.

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 31
Here are some close up pictures of how the basket was made.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 15
a bottem of a trash can seems like a good idea but would also look like trash. i used two 26 inch plywood circles, then cut one circle in to a 22 in circle. you could use the 22 in circle to haing the chains from while you take the outer ring from the circle that you cut and put that on the 26 inch circle that you did not cut. now you should have a 26 in circle with a 4 in ring that ends up sitting nicely ontop. then screw 8 in wood dowels inbetween the 26 in circle and the 4 in ring.... i used this for mine and its extreamly sturdy and works great!

Latest posts