• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade DiscCatcher Gallery

Almost finished with this basket, made from random parts from a building I'm decommissioning. Hoping I can find some chain too haha

Attachments

• 20140909_095300_zpsvpysja8j.jpg
    20140909_095300_zpsvpysja8j.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
I've got 2 of these put together for less than $50 (although I had the wood on hand). Modeled after a mach V (chain wise) and the rope/hose chains catch quite well. There are a few more cut throughs than you'd get on the real thing (doesn't like hyzer putts hitting the top right corner) but overall it does the job. Great for a backyard practice basket.

Attachments

• Basket 1.jpg
    Basket 1.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 162
  • Basket 2.jpg
    Basket 2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Basket 3.jpg
    Basket 3.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 81
Alright, I've made a few chained baskets (and they're not cheap... $100 by the time you're all done with 2 rows of chain, and all the rest) - but come this winter I'll be in building mode again. When I build a full size basket, I like to be able to use it as an extra basket in (fun) tourneys such as Birdie Bashes, Ace Races, Local Non-Sanctioned Tourneys, etc. How does the rope/hose stand up to discs coming in hard (ie ace runs). If it's only use is practice putting, then it does what it's designed to do - but if it has the weight to catch tee shots... awesome!

Alright, I've made a few chained baskets (and they're not cheap... $100 by the time you're all done with 2 rows of chain, and all the rest) - but come this winter I'll be in building mode again. When I build a full size basket, I like to be able to use it as an extra basket in (fun) tourneys such as Birdie Bashes, Ace Races, Local Non-Sanctioned Tourneys, etc. How does the rope/hose stand up to discs coming in hard (ie ace runs). If it's only use is practice putting, then it does what it's designed to do - but if it has the weight to catch tee shots... awesome!

The furthest I've hit mine is from about 260'. It soaked up the impact just fine. I've hit it multiple times from about 120' when practicing approach shots and it works wonderfully.

For best results, I recommend that you use cotton rope or some other rope that has some significant weight to it that hangs naturally. I would avoid the cheap nylon rope. It's very light and as such it doesn't fall/hang naturally. The heavier the rope the better in my opinion. With that said though, be sure the diameter of the rope isn't too thick. You want the garden hose links to have some room to move to better mimic the movement of metal chain.

I just built this basket for mini's.

Basket looks good. The base would be way better if you decrease the width of the boards used, 3" or so, and used a lap joint to join them in the center. You might also want the base to have a slightly larger footprint than the basket.

I'm back with another winter building project. After a homemade basket and then a few mini baskets, I wanted to make the cheapest full sized practice basket, using store bought materials. It's great that your work gives you plastic drums, old tires, free rusty chain... but how much to make one from purchased materials?

How about less than $27? How about $26.25 including tax in MN?

Some things were on sale, but I've included full material list, and a pretty detailed tutorial of the build. I would be overjoyed if this made it possible for people to build and use a practice basket at home. If you build one, comment on YouTube or here, I'd love to see it! Thanks to DiscChucker for the nudge to try the rope/hose idea. Second cheapest option, and catches great!

I'm back with another winter building project. After a homemade basket and then a few mini baskets, I wanted to make the cheapest full sized practice basket, using store bought materials. It's great that your work gives you plastic drums, old tires, free rusty chain... but how much to make one from purchased materials?

How about less than $27? How about $26.25 including tax in MN?

Some things were on sale, but I've included full material list, and a pretty detailed tutorial of the build. I would be overjoyed if this made it possible for people to build and use a practice basket at home. If you build one, comment on YouTube or here, I'd love to see it! Thanks to DiscChucker for the nudge to try the rope/hose idea. Second cheapest option, and catches great!

Looks great! Nice video!

Thread revival because homemade baskets are cool!

Here are my 2 for my backyard mini course. The one on the left I just finished up this morning. Still needs another couple coats of enamel, and chains of course, and I'm not super keen on the base, but I like it.

The one on the right is an extra from a friend's farm course. It catches ok enough for the yard.

Anyone else built a new one?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 172
Here's mine! Price? $9.50!

20150925_194003_zpsmsgabpxi.jpg

Latest posts