• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How big of a problem are foot faults?

I see it fairly regularly but I almost never mention it. Honestly, on a 300ft. drive, is the extra inch going to help or hurt the throw? Even on a putt inside the circle, if I see someone step on their marker, I'm not going to call 'em on it.

Last edited:
I see it occasionally. Probably guilty of not hitting my spot on run ups 100% of the time. Assuming the violation is not blatent, I am also not likely to call it. Given, of course, that it does not provide for a competative advantage, like stepping out from a bush. I would also be more likely to remind a beginner than a seasoned player. If I am playing rec, I will take the time to help newer players understand the rules and that they could get called with consequences if it becomes a habit.

I'll never understand people that feel the need to stand on the back of their marker while putting. Just back up two inches, dude.

I'll never understand people that feel the need to stand on the back of their marker while putting. Just back up two inches, dude.

Had to let a guy know in my last tournament that he couldn't do that.

"I do it all the time in my regular rounds." That's just not a good answer. It was his second tournament and no one has bothered to ever tell him that it was wrong. He thanked me on the next tee and said he will study up a bit on the rules.

I do that sometimes, but I could literally spend my entire round reciting rules to people, even in MA2. Unless it's blatant falling putts, or egregious foot faults, I just don't want to do it most of the time.

The guys that just pick up their disc and toss in gimmes are what really pisses me off, though.

Foot fault is a foot fault...don't be scared to call it. Don't be a tool about it though.

On a side note, I can't stand the 'its not a big deal' argument. If you can't do a run up on the fairway and not foot fault then its your responsibility to practice it and learn how to do it. It is not the responsibility of your card mates to 'be cool' and let it go all the time.

I was watching the recent footage with Rico in it the other day and thought about this. He was placing a towel down for every throw in the grass behind his lie. So you couldn't see whether he was foot faulting or not. Seems like you are making your lie better, i understand the grass is wet and there isn't a rule against that but it seems odd that you would be able to do that.

I was watching the recent footage with Rico in it the other day and thought about this. He was placing a towel down for every throw in the grass behind his lie. So you couldn't see whether he was foot faulting or not. Seems like you are making your lie better, i understand the grass is wet and there isn't a rule against that but it seems odd that you would be able to do that.

Rico or any other of those guys are not looking down on the ground to make sure their foot is in the right spot because its second nature from all the practice they put in. Not many ams (or even pros) take the time to practice it which could be why people just turn the other cheek

I do not play weekly doubles or other similar events but I do notice some players who may only play those events consistently tend to foot fault more than tournament players. It tends to be on run ups in the fairways more often than not and not on tees at C Tiers that local casuals play each year on their home course. Some are not as familiar with the rules or etiquette well as others who play sanctioned events and it is usually low key. They are are a lot of fun to play with (I play MM1 so we are a little more easy going than some younger groups) but if I see something I mention in a a non aggressive manner and 99% of the time they appreciate it. The only problems I have had with this was when I was in a group with three players that play tournaments and a local who was playing his first event. One of the guys tried to explain a foot fault and the guy got pissed and started calling crazy things on us in a sarcastic manner (e.g., I dropped my mini walking from a basket to a tee and he wanted to stroke me and we had to wait on a group of pros to tees off near our basket and he called thirty seconds on the guy putting in the middle of release not knowing he needed a second). I also was in a group where a foot fault was called on a local casual player and he did not speak to the group the rest of the round just held up his fingers up for his score. The sad part was the guy was probably close to 50 years old and that immature.

I have never called a fairway foot fault. I will call a foot fault off the tee box, or a falling putt every time though. When I was playing in lower divisions, I would normally just mention it in an aside conversation just to let the player know. Most of the time they did not really know the rule anyway. As long as you are not a jerk about it, most people know they did it anyway, and don't get too bent about it.

If it was the St. Jude's footage, the marker was hard to see on camera, but was in front of the towel. And its Rico. He's pretty great and can hit the mark without faulting.

Also, lots of foot faults in casual rounds I play, including placing the foot next to the mini, with the toe even with the front of the mini on putts. (Why bother with the mini then? Just take whatever lie you want, right?) Frolfers (that I play with) generally don't know and don't care about the rules, just want to out-drive everybody else. So yeah, it's a thing.

That's really a pretty good way to practice hitting your lie. And specifically allowed by the rules. Which makes sense if you've ever tried throwing off of solid ice.

I would like to see the stand and deliver rule change happen....although it would take some of the excitement out of the game. But there would be less much more straight forward.

I foot fault on fairway shots EVERY TIME, and I always tell myself I should work on it. But, meh. I don't play seriously anyway, so not worth the time.

Perhaps I'm missing it, but I've never been able to find an actual rule that specifies how close you need to be to the marker. All I can find is that you need to be behind the marker, relative to the basket, and can't touch the marker until after you release your throw. I think we see so many foot faults because this isn't specified, causing a lot of players to think they need to be on top of the marker.

Pretty sure its just over the diameter length of a driver behind the marker on a straight line to the hole. 9 or 11 inches....

If I want to stand behind the marker I stick my disc between my foot and the lie to make sure I'm legal. If I'm not sure I ask the group if I'm good before I throw. 30centimeters sticks in my head, but I don't have a rule book handy.

Latest posts