• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Deep is Too Deep: A Putter Question

If your looking for Shallow then I don't think it get more shallow than the Ringer by Discraft. It's a bit overstable but it is paper thin too. For a good driving putter I would try a Focus.

Pure, Envy, Proxy, Colt.

/thread.

Not thrown the Colt yet, but the Atom is similar in feel and I drive with it quite a bit....but the thread is not complete yet Halcón, because there has to be a jOKERI in it. :thmbup: You have to have that wonderful overstable jOKERI goodness.

Last edited:
XD is too understalbe for driving. You can hyzer it I suppose. But I use one only for turnovers. Its rim is super shallow though. Pure has become my favorite disc. I have small hands and Pure fits perfect in my hand.

Get an Opto Pure for drives and never look back.

No such thing as too deep or shallow.

I can drive polecats no different than a driver really. Grip and rip

Ah, back to this disagreement again. Nope, some of us need shallow putters. Anyway, a polecat is not as hard to grip as some of your favorites. A disc is not gripped much different than a golf club, and all the golf pro's have their clubs custom fitted with the correct size grip.
I will give you that a disc is more forgiving than an golf club. Discs flex at least.

Well, I gotta disagree with the no difference thing. I have small hands so I have a little of a disadvantage with deep putters. I'm also not a power gripper, I fan grip everything. The times I get caught on the rim is usually when I try I rip one. Id rather baby a mid then try and crush a putter drive.

I don't have small hands as much as my middle and ring fingers are longer than my pointer finger. It comes down to the same thing though, if a putter has either too deep or too 'round' of a rim, I am going to get my fingers hung and deep in the woods it goes.

Referring to all the discussion about rim depth, it all comes down to comfort.
I am 6'6" and my hands are fairly large, and I prefer a shallow rimmed putter for driving and for putting.

I despise the Wizard and beaded Aviar (and a few others) because the rim is too deep for my comfort.
It's not the size of my hands, but my comfort.
I drive the Ringer and the PA4 and putt with a PA4.
I also like the Summit, XD, the Classic Roc, the Magic and the Breaker.

For me it's a comfort thing as well.

I have no problem with the depth of a putter, it's how thin the wall is that gets me. I have large hands and I need a little meat to hang on to. If they made a deep lid with a rim thickness of 1.2cm, I'd be fine with it, but .7? nope, just doesn't work for me.