• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] How did you find the one(Putter)?

GirdleRoc

Birdie Member
I thought I had found the one but I am having second thoughts so…
I realize everyone has their putter preference but how did you decide on the one?
Was it love at first site or feel?
Did you just pick one and figure it out?
Did your putting form dictate your type of putter?
Or is it just a long journey every disc golfer ends up making?

:popcorn:

Good question. Still trying everyone I can find. Love them all

Felt a friends Omega a couple years ago and really liked the feel. Bought my own and continued to enjoy it. Bought a bunch more and now I'm committed. But all those other fancy putters do temp me.

Bought a bunch of mold. Throw over and over in back yard. I just felt more comfortable with a few. Some did not work at all. I have trouble with a bit of a hyzer release, so I tend to favor the understable.

I'm not proud of my scientific method here but I fished my eventual chosen mold (XD) out of a pond and loved the way that it drove understable from start to finish and since I had a small bag, it became my putter because I had to remove another disc to fit it so I removed my JK Aviar.

However, I also carry a champ Ontario Rhyno and the JK Aviar goes in and out of the bag (a larger one lol) if I have a course with lots of putter driving and I can putt about the same with all of them. I think it's 90% practice and 10% mold for me.

for me its finding a stability that you can cycle and use for everything.. putting, upshots, drives, etc. .. then go for feel after that .. do you like beaded or no bead? that will cut down the choices a lot

started with Magnets, I wanted more stability and not a HUGE change in feel and flight.....Challenger! The end :)

You will love any new putter that fits your hand comfortably until you start putting poorly. Then you will make excuses to try another. Ce la vie.

I am trying bb kc aviars for a while. They are glidey, overstable, tough, deep, pretty consistent in terms of plastic, will hopefully beat in nicely.

Also looking at trying the xt bb aviars for those cold , wet days. If they fly the same they will replace the kc .

Mine is a combo of bag theory and personal preference. I will not build a bag because of one disc. It creates too many problems.

Mine was an evolution of knowing what I wanted. First I threw Aviars, but wanted something with more stability. Switched to Wizards, but didn't want to search high and low for a stack of putters that felt the same. Switched to Ions and bought a bunch straight from MVP for cheap, and really liked them, but was getting a little tired of the premium plastic "sticking" to my fingers when I threw.

Knew I wanted to go back to base plastic putters, so I e-mailed Innova, Gateway, and DD about their misprints to see what the best deal on misprints they could offer is. Gateway was $8 a piece, Innova $6.40 a piece, DD $5.99 a piece. I liked the feeling of Judges more than KCPro Aviars, so I switched to judges and got a pile of them. Been working out pretty well for me I think, they fly great, putt clean, have good glide, and the Lucids are great for the overstable slot.

2014-superbowl-kia-k900-commercial-starring-morpheus-the-matrix-3.jpg

I live in St. Louis. If I didn't putt with wizards I would be foolish. Nearly every event gives away free wizards with the players pack. People will readily trade them away for scrap heap discs too.

Oh and they drive & putt beautifully. Love my wizards

Sometimes I think people learn to putt with what they started with. I started with an ABC Disc Money Putter. I think they feel amazing. I ordered a RFF Wizard and I've stuck with that. Nothing against the Money Putter. It's a sweet disc. I could go either way but for me I'm playing well with the Wizard.

The Wizard. Everything else is just a piece of plastic/rubber.

Picked up a clear evo wizards in a used bin for 5 bucks.. Loved the feel. Putter forever with it.. Saw the price on a new one, cried a little... Then bought two more

Sorry, there is no "one." Wish there was, but 'tain't so.

Back when DGR was active, Blake made the statement that it makes no difference what putter you are using inside the circle if your technique is sound. Outside 30 feet the differing flight characteristics kick in more strongly.

After trying way too many putters and spending way too much money, it was love at first putt with the Wizard for me. The funny thing is I happened upon it trying to order Magics from Gateway. Dave asked if I wanted all Magics or something else. I figured it couldn't hurt to try a couple Wizards. The rest is history.

I thought I had found the one but I am having second thoughts so…
I realize everyone has their putter preference but how did you decide on the one?
Was it love at first site or feel?
Did you just pick one and figure it out?
Did your putting form dictate your type of putter?
Or is it just a long journey every disc golfer ends up making?

:popcorn:

I found it by trying out putters and finding one that felt comfortable and flew good.

It wasn't based on my form, more just how the putter sits in my hand, what plastics it comes in, how easy it is to get identical backups etc.

Even when I feel settled on a putter I still keep an open mind to trying new ones. When I putted Wizards I was happy, but I found the Ion worked better. Same story with the Envy. I was happy with the Ion, but the Envy works better for me so I switched.

It's all about the feel IMO. Find a shape and plastic that you feel comfortable with and you'll stop thinking about the putter and start thinking about the putt. That's the important part.

To be honest, I could probably putt with anything inside the circle. But, I am a fairly low speed spin putter, so I favor something soft, glidey, and straight. I tried a few, found a Pure, liked how it felt in my hand and how it flew and decided that was my putter. I didn't really see the point in acquiring every putter I could find and testing all of them because I figured I'd like some, hate some, and those I liked would probably be pretty interchangable. Plus the Zero Medium plastic is my favorite base putter plastic that I've felt.

***shrug***

When I was in high school I found the most beat to piss Aviar ever in the brush. No name or number but it was a KC Pro. It wasn't until ten (!) Years later that I even started picking up more discs. I retired that one and tried a whole bunch. I started with beaded putters: Challenger, Wizard, Ridge, VP, Ion, etc. But big bead Aviars were just my jam. The only one I don't use is a Yeti, but I like them well enough.

I haven't found it yet, unfortunately.

But I think I've figured out some things I like.

My Soft Magnets are too soft, but the standard Magnets were too stiff. So I need a plastic between those.

I used to think I hated non-low profile putters. But I putted with a Reef for a while (alright, two weeks) and the non-low profile isn't bothering me. What is bothering me is I wish it was more stable. Fortunately, more stable than a Reef isn't a hard to come by qualification.

I like beads, even if they're just small beads. Or weird lips that feel like beads.

I'd like more glide than a Rhyno.

So, based on this, a SSS Voodoo is perfect. Right? I hope so, I ordered a pair. Come on, perfect putter. Now they just need to get here.

So basically, buy every putter in existance, in every plastic, until you find the perfect one for you. Or at least until you can narrow it down.