• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do we get Disc Golf into the big time?

Get Dave Feldberg on Conan again. This time people actually watch him.

Better question. Why do we want it to go big time?

Excellent question. I say keep it underground, Fight Club style. The first rule of disc golf is you don't talk about disc golf... Then we will operate in terror cells, vandalizing ball golf courses, etc like they did in the movie. "I feel like destroying something beautiful".

Lets go streaking through football games with discs thongs on.

Or how about a protest?

I honestly like the low key sport as is. What benefits do we receive by growth in the sport? Unless I GO pro I don't see it playing a large factor. Do we want it to become like ball golf? Paying for courses... Once it becomes commercialized the price goes up not down.

Lets go streaking through football games with discs thongs on.

Or how about a protest?

I honestly like the low key sport as is. What benefits do we receive by growth in the sport? Unless I GO pro I don't see it playing a large factor. Do we want it to become like ball golf? Paying for courses... Once it becomes commercialized the price goes up not down.

Excellent point, then they will make us wear funny pants and collared shirts.... I hate collared shirts.

Keep it under ground, otherwise they might charge to go into a disc golf field, like they charge ball golfers to play.
Well, at the other end, that doesn't necessarily bother me if the fee is reasonable (say $2 all day max, with other methods for people who play the course a lot) which keeps the riff-raff off the course, and where the funds can be used to keep the course in shape, as well as seed money for new courses. There's a difference in the sport making self-sustaining money, versus enough to commercialize it.

Keep It underground....please don't ever go big time...It would spoil the sport...let it grow at it's current rate....theres nothing wrong with being an alternative sport. It's the grass roots feel of the sport and the people that keep the game unique. If it is suddenly commercialized overnight. YUCK!

The sport definitely has to grow. The key is just to keep playing as you get older and introducing the game to new players. Personally, I am completely dumbfounded by people who don't want the course to grow... What does growth of the sport mean? More courses, higher quality courses, media coverage, and most importantly...more people making money. Now I know there are a lot of people on here who are better players than me, would you consider yourself the equivalent, in skill, to say a golf pro? There are tens of thousands of excellent golfers in this country not named Tiger Woods making a very nice living being golf pros....Not that we'll reach the level of golf that quick, but wouldn't it be nice to make some good money playing disc?
Also, more players means more disc companies which means more competition, better technology and lower priced goods....
I don't know, I can understand the hippies who play barefoot and like to spend half of their day smoking bowls on the 7th tee would like to keep it underground...and also all of the teenagers and frat boys whose only chance to drink beer is on the disc golf course would want to keep it underground....but if you're really a fan of the sport, you should want to see it grow and be recognized as the awesome game it is!
The bottom line is that growth for the sport equals more money generated by disc golf for disc golf players and more, higher quality courses.

Well, at the other end, that doesn't necessarily bother me if the fee is reasonable (say $2 all day max, with other methods for people who play the course a lot) which keeps the riff-raff off the course, and where the funds can be used to keep the course in shape, as well as seed money for new courses. There's a difference in the sport making self-sustaining money, versus enough to commercialize it.

Honestly, I WANT courses to be pay for play! I don't mind spending a few bucks...but I would also like to see some level of management and organization on a course. For example, if I pay for a round....I don't want to see groups of 5 or 6 people playing together...and there should be water, garbage cans...all the things we complain about courses not having should be there someday...I only hope this game becomes more like ball golf...

There's a difference in the sport making self-sustaining money, versus enough to commercialize it.

What in the world is "self-sustaining money" and why should anyone or any business be satisfied with that?

Waynenewf I like the way you think. There's nothing wrong with having all our courses in public parks, but they could be even better if they were privately managed by entrepreneurs. Just look at the most popular, highest-rated courses. I bet a disproportionate number of them are private and pay-to-play.

What in the world is "self-sustaining money" and why should anyone or any business be satisfied with that?
Self sustaining means recovering whatever costs go into the planning, installation and annual maintainence of a course, plus some money to help fund future capital improvements. For a privately owned enterprise, that's obviously not desirable. For courses that are on public land (where about 98% of them are at the time being), its reasonable. Eventual cost to the taxpayer is zero, and the game is still accessible to the everyday joe.

What you're suggesting is a private model, and yes, I'd like to see more private courses popping up, but when you consider the logistics of that, there's a reason why they're still a rarity. The market simply isn't there in many instances to make that model sustainable, and I don't see it being there for some time to come.

Get involved with your local club and make an effort to involve yourself in helping events happen that draw newcomers into competitive play, help build courses and help maintain courses.

The reason for this is that once there is a base of 50 to 100 times the number of competitive players that find it interesting to watch the best of the best play (and buy DVDs and/or online content) advertisers might start paying attention and spending money to target those people.

Once this money starts coming into the sport thing will start heading to "the big time".

Like others have said, lot of change is required to get there (as in more good courses). And, lots of things will change once money starts coming into the sport from the outside. I too am not sure if that will be a good thing for the laid back pasttime as we know it.

The best thing to do is get more people involved. Lately I've found a lot of uninked discs so I practice different dyeing techniques on them but rarely throw them all. I'm going to get a driver, a mid-range, and a putter and give it to somebody who has never played. If they get in to it, great, I hope they buy some discs and give the three I gave them away to somebody else and if they don't enjoy it they can simply give the three away or back to me.