• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How does everyone score their game, is 3 standard for par?

I've often toyed with the idea of playing gold level courses as par 4 courses. Easier to keep track (closer to +/- 0).

But I usually blow up and stop keeping score anyway.

When Ashleigh and I started traveling and we played bigger courses, I'd count based on 3 and she would count based on 4. It was easier for her to keep track of fewer + strokes, and also worked as a rough handicapping system.

My way is a pretty far out there concept.
What i do is, i start at the beginning with the first number, and i add that to the next number. Then, i just keep doing that.
I did that when I started. Then I got introduced to the all par 3 method and I never looked back.

I ran our local league a couple weeks ago so I had the duty of double checking scorecards. 16 players x 18 holes = 288 score boxes. Using all par 3 score keeping, I was able to ignore more than half of those boxes (169 to be exact) by treating them as zeroes. Had the job done in about three minutes. I could never do that adding as I went along.

I've often toyed with the idea of playing gold level courses as par 4 courses. Easier to keep track (closer to +/- 0).

But I usually blow up and stop keeping score anyway.
:hfive:

I add cards up at the end of our league rounds... amazing how many careless arithmatic errors people make. Personally, I use +/- strokes based on par 3, then ad to #of holes x3. Seems to be the least error prone method for me.

Last edited:
^ speaking of stupid mistakes... *arithmetic :eek:

We don't put actual hole pars on scorecards in tournaments because players can't seem to add properly when there are pars other than 3. As far as needing it, yes we do at least for this happening right now: http://www.pdga.com/apps/tournament/live/live.php?TournID=16381&Div=MPO

No we dont? All that would happen if you take par away is that the two left most columns of data would not be there. Well ok, and the flashy colours...

You can still follow the tournament, see who is winning etc from the columns labeled "scores"...

I am not convinced.

No we dont? All that would happen if you take par away is that the two left most columns of data would not be there. Well ok, and the flashy colours...

You can still follow the tournament, see who is winning etc from the columns labeled "scores"...

I am not convinced.

Chuck is right that score relative to par is the easiest way to sort a tournament in progress, particularly during a round where the players listed are in separate groups and thus at different stages in the round. It doesn't tell you anything if you sort by total score and one group of players has played two fewer holes than another. Of course their total will be lower. But relative to par, you get a better idea where they all stand. But even then, par can be any number as long as it is the same for everyone. Call them all par 10s and the numbers still tell the same story.

As far as the players on the course and keeping their own scores though, par is entirely unnecessary.

Score: total number if throws in the round.

Casual keeping track / during / round with buddies, everything par 3. (Noting in my area at some course a 54 is a tremendous score)

... But even then, par can be any number as long as it is the same for everyone. Call them all par 10s and the numbers still tell the same story.

But not as well.

For example, set pars to zero and you just get the scores, which as we know can't easily be used to compare players that have played different courses or number of holes.

Setting all pars to 10 would make it even more difficult to compare across the field.

Pars set so that those in contention get scores near par give better information across the field.

A player should be able to know they have gained ground with every birdie, and lost ground with every bogey. Only pars that generate winning and cashing scores of near zero under and over par do that.

I am not convinced.

When players are playing different courses, or one has just played a stretch of par 4 and 5 holes while another is on a stretch of par 3 holes, a score relative to a well-defined system of pars lets you get a reasonable idea of how they're doing compared to one another.

Once we start compiling performance stats like fairway percentage, birdies, recovery for par and greens in regulation, an accurate par will be needed on each hole for the stats to be determined and make sense.

I have my personal par for each course I play often. Mt Airy, for example, is a par 58 to me if I play my reasonably flawless round. But I still count the strokes, as I play, as if everything is par 3.

I love me some good old fashioned "What is Par" threads, mmm-hmm.

I still don't understand why dg players can't do simple math. I played ball golf for years and we never used a scorecard. We said +1 or-1 and kept a running score in relation to par. Par was 70 on the course we usually played so +8 would be 78. Why is that so hard?

I still don't understand why dg players can't do simple math. I played ball golf for years and we never used a scorecard. We said +1 or-1 and kept a running score in relation to par. Par was 70 on the course we usually played so +8 would be 78. Why is that so hard?

It's not.....as long as you remember what the par was for each hole. Keeping score by +/-3, I don't have to remember to check to the sign, and I still get the same total score.

Plus, I doubt golf has such a variety of systems of par as we encounter in disc golf, so that on some courses, for some players, the pars are just plain silly.

At least one card per tournament that I run comes back wrong. Sucks to penalize people but they usually double check after getting hit for the 2 strokes.
This.
I played in a free event on Memorial Day and the guy in my group volunteered to add the scores as he was "pretty good at math". Well the TD informed us that there were several errors on our card, and I know someone else should have proofread it but I figured he spent a few minutes on it so it must be done over at least twice? I just thought it was funny and ironic. He was a nice dude, though, we had a good round!
PDGA has a nifty chart that no one pays attention to as far as I can tell.

http://www.pdga.com/files/ParGuidelines_1.pdf
I think it's great they have Par 2 listed on there. Has anyone EVER seen a par 2?? That don't make no sense! Also I read that Par 6 is super rare in ball golf, but they are out there. Not seen one in disc golf. Yay

Last edited:
Highbridge Gold has a par 6 and I think we might have one at Am Worlds this July. Par 2s were used at Pro Worlds in 2001 and 2002 then fell out of use at high level PDGA events. Have seen several par 2s on tee signs on some courses in the Plains states like Nebraska.

Latest posts